Menu

French supplements for elementary

Jackie

DH is handling the teaching of French for DD7. Curriculum choices are therefore on him. :)

However, when I was teaching Spanish, I always had lots of options for strewing supplemental material - learning videos, books, etc. Any ideas for good supplemental materials for beginning French? Something more specific than "search YouTube" - fun programs, videos, games, etc. that would be appealing/fun for a 7 year old?

We have a laptop, iPad, Netflix, and Amazon Prime for access.

Edited by Jackie

First Step en Français (Next Step, Another Step) is a series of free videos. https://knowitall.org/series/foreign-language-french

I bought several Dr. Seuss books in French. They're great because the vocabulary is controlled and your dd probably knows the story.

I bought a card game called Kloo on Amazon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks2OlAFRM6o. Haven't played it yet, though.

You can play Guess Who when you have the vocabulary for describing people and asking questions. There is a French version, but I don't see why you can't just use the US one.

Teachers Pay Teachers has some stuff. Most assumes that the teachers are fluent though (which I am not!).

• Like 1

Who is it? Can be played in almost any language.

Speech helped to talk longer in french then just a few sentences, and to talk more coherently.

Movies likes Jean et la Lune, Ernest et Celestine,

Kerity is a lovely movie too, but French is more difficult.

Youtube:

French children songs with subtitle (karaoke style)

Caillou

Lutin Plop

Books:

Martine

Slightly older:

Loulou de Montmartre

Il etait.... La vie

• Like 1

Ernest et Celestine is a great movie (& books)! Spot it! In French is another good game. There are audio books of Martine & my daughter loves them all. Both Ernest & Martine aren't really for beginners though. Could you memmorize a group of set phrases to use in daily life? For instance, 'c'est l'heure de partir' (it's time to leave). The repetition would help your child learn. Also play games like picture bingo or hangman in French.

• Like 2

Petit Ours Brun on YouTube is excellent. Three minutes episodes, each dealing with a different daily-life activity, like going to market or having friends over. I have the kids watch the same one each morning for a week, to get them familiar with the vocab.

• Like 2