Menu

Critique our 4th grade novel list

Sneezyone

I have a reluctant but strong reader and I'm planning his assigned novels for next year (seven total). Is there anything I'm missing or that we should swap out? I am intentionally not doing a lot of U.S. History and coming of age/survival tales because I'm saving it for next year.

Because this is his first year with in-depth lit study, I'm trying to keep it high interest and fun with a little history (modern), alternative perspectives, and lots and lots of description/evocative language.

Right now, I've planned...

1. Sarah, Plain and Tall (an easy warm-up/intro)

2. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

3. Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes

4. Because of Winn-Dixie

5. Mr. Popper's Penguins

6. Stuart Little

7. The One and Only Ivan

Thoughts?

Those are all good books. I think some of this depends on him. What makes him a reluctant reader and what kind of books does he like? For example, Sarah, Plain and Tall is a fine book - but it's not one that I would start with for a reluctant boy reader - and I'm not one to shy away from "girl" books for boys (my boys love many "girl" books), I'd just want to start with something that has a bit of a bang.

It also stands out to me that you have a lot of quieter and more serious books. Again, could be fine. Depends on the kid. But in addition to Sarah, Plain and Tall, Because of Winn-Dixie is a very quiet book. Sadako and Ivan are both very serious books, though Ivan is one that kids really tend to get into. Sadako is sort of hit or miss with kids, I find.

Charlie, Mr. Popper, and Stuart Little are all a bit more fun and light. I might actually start with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory because you can watch the movie (either or both) and eat chocolate and do all kinds of fun school things around the book to get him a bit more fired up about reading.

• Like 3

Those are all good books. I think some of this depends on him. What makes him a reluctant reader and what kind of books does he like? For example, Sarah, Plain and Tall is a fine book - but it's not one that I would start with for a reluctant boy reader - and I'm not one to shy away from "girl" books for boys (my boys love many "girl" books), I'd just want to start with something that has a bit of a bang.

It also stands out to me that you have a lot of quieter and more serious books. Again, could be fine. Depends on the kid. But in addition to Sarah, Plain and Tall, Because of Winn-Dixie is a very quiet book. Sadako and Ivan are both very serious books, though Ivan is one that kids really tend to get into. Sadako is sort of hit or miss with kids, I find.

Charlie, Mr. Popper, and Stuart Little are all a bit more fun and light. I might actually start with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory because you can watch the movie (either or both) and eat chocolate and do all kinds of fun school things around the book to get him a bit more fired up about reading.

DS likes absurdity, adventures and quests, superheroes, etc. but he's also very introverted. He hates to take time away from the things he REALLY enjoys doing (following bunny trails) to read something unrelated to the latest Marvel and DC on-dits.  Once he gets into a story tho, he's content. His favourite books so far are Roald Dahl books. He read The Witches last year and loved it. For summer free-reading, he's chosen things like the Beast Quest series, lol. DRA 40/GRL S is right in his wheelhouse, no strain.

TBH, I'm not entirely sold on Sarah, Plain and Tall either. I think he's going to find it incredibly boring and easy (I know I do) but I thought that one might be a quick way to introduce the mechanics of novel study. We could easily drop that and jump right into Charlie tho. That's a book we'll both enjoy and there's so much to talk about with that one.

Winn-Dixie is one his sister loved and I wanted there to be *some* overlap between them. DD still raves about it and I know she'd enjoy talking about it with him. I'm not looking forward to it (I dislike sappy). Sadako, in a similar vein, is short, sweet, and sappy. I'm open to replacing one of these.

Ivan is one we will definitely do not because it's a preferred genre for DS but because it will push him to examine things through someone else's eyes. That is an area of particular weakness for DS. He tends to lack empathy.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

If you are looking for a shorter, easier book to start with, how about Freckle Juice or McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm (which my oldest recently said was so funny he hurt himself laughing) or one of the Stepping Stone Classics like The Three Musketeers or 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?

Wendy

We did Freckle Juice last year and DS enjoyed it. I'll look up the bolded, thanks! ETA: Yes, I am trying to alternate between shorter and longer reads. He still has history and science reading in the mix so I don't want all of the assigned ones to be long or intense.

Edited by Sneezyone

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is an old topic, but it's one of my favourites.

With a reluctant reader I too would focus on plot driven works. May I suggest Wild Robot by Peter Brown instead of Ivan? We listened to Ivan on Audiobook and I think the stylized language could be frustrating to a new reader. It makes an excellent audiobook or read aloud though. Since you are trying to create empathy Wild Robot would be perfect. There is a lot in there about not pre judging and caring for others. Just a thought.

When you have a reluctant reader getting them into a series is super helpful because they get comfortable with the world and characters and are drawn to go back into the books. We are listening to Gregor the Overlander and it's been great. It might be worth checking out.

21 Balloons is great for a boy that's more into technical things

And every boy should experience Robert McCloskey's Homer Price stories. They are easy to read but funny and relatable.

If you have a reluctant reader I would maybe focus less on teaching him moral lessons and more on cultivating a love for reading. If he feels like you are digging for character growth over just enjoyment and curiosity, he may balk on you. A lot of us grew up on things like Hardy Boys and Babysitters Club and LOVE to read! Sometimes it's just about getting your own world to return to.

Have you heard of the Read Aloud Revival Podcast? She has some excellent thoughts on reluctant readers. You can search through her website for the podcast episode that might help.

At this point I would have lots of interesting TO him books just laying around. Calvin and Hobbes! Things he would be drawn to pick up on his own. Another reluctant reader tip is reading aloud or listening on audiobook to the first book in the series and then leaving the sequels out to be found.

Sounds like you're a great teacher thinking through this so carefully.

Oh. I would maybe wait on Stuart. The concept is great but it quickly gets boring toward the end and his main goal is love which is not relatable at that age. I'd reccomend Indian in the Cupboard instead.

Dicamillco is one of my favourites. Maybe have him read Tale of Despereaux instead? I know your daughter read Winn Dixie but maybe as the little brother he should read something and recommend it to her? Turn the table a little and give him confidence.

Edited by abibechard

DS likes absurdity, adventures and quests, superheroes, etc. but he's also very introverted. He hates to take time away from the things he REALLY enjoys doing (following bunny trails) to read something unrelated to the latest Marvel and DC on-dits. Once he gets into a story tho, he's content. His favourite books so far are Roald Dahl books. He read The Witches last year and loved it. For summer free-reading, he's chosen things like the Beast Quest series, lol. DRA 40/GRL S is right in his wheelhouse, no strain.

TBH, I'm not entirely sold on Sarah, Plain and Tall either. I think he's going to find it incredibly boring and easy (I know I do) but I thought that one might be a quick way to introduce the mechanics of novel study. We could easily drop that and jump right into Charlie tho. That's a book we'll both enjoy and there's so much to talk about with that one.

Winn-Dixie is one his sister loved and I wanted there to be *some* overlap between them. DD still raves about it and I know she'd enjoy talking about it with him. I'm not looking forward to it (I dislike sappy). Sadako, in a similar vein, is short, sweet, and sappy. I'm open to replacing one of these.

Ivan is one we will definitely do not because it's a preferred genre for DS but because it will push him to examine things through someone else's eyes. That is an area of particular weakness for DS. He tends to lack empathy.

Based on your description of him, I would guess that he would really enjoy The Mysterious Benedict Society series.

A couple of your titles are on my 4th grade DD's list as well: Sarah, Plain and Tall and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

If are thinking that Sarah, Plain and Tall may be too boring/not relatable for him you may want to try Farmer Boy.

I think the list is fine and varies in difficulty. I second starting with something your DS will definitely be attracted to, i.e., The Dahl book. Mr. Popper's Penguins may be too easy (?) but it certainly is fun!

Edited by chiefcookandbottlewasher