Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - Aug. 2017

Granny_Weatherwax

I took yesterday off from tennis. DH and I went hiking at two different places and did about 5 miles so it wasn't a total loss. My ankles have been sore lately (I'm not sure of the cause although I have three different ideas.) and I wanted to take it easy and let them rest from the harsh movements of tennis.

I think my eating was good (DH and I shared an Almond Joy) and I was happy with my choices.

Today I'm trying to catch up on housework and a bit of yardwork as this next week will be busy with my new job and tennis. I have my final tri-level match on Tuesday and  4.5 clinic on Thursday. The good news is my new boss has agreed to let me continue my personal tennis schedule as much as possible. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to continue learning new skills and improving my game. I argued that everything I learn will be shared with the team and therefore is beneficial all around. I'm calling it "Professional Development."

I'm hoping my body will be able to handle the amount of tennis I will be playing from mid-August-mid-September. I'm looking at 6+ hours per day of on-court time. Part of me is excited and part is a bit apprehensive. 

• Like 5

We did a day trip to visit friends today. It involved biking onto the ferry to cross over to the island they live on, which was really fun. Then the spectacular part was playing tennis on their very own, personally crafted grass tennis court!!!!   :hurray:  Most of you wouldn't get to excited about this opportunity, but let me just say that there are only a handful of such courts in the entire country of Canada. Not only that, you get to imagine you're playing in Wimbledon, except you suck completely because of all the little irregularities on the court. :laugh:  It is really really hilarious and you are laughing so hard that it makes hitting the ball even harder! We got video of my dh acing me with his serve. The best part was that the ball hit a spot of ground and didn't bounce up at all. It simply skidded completely flat on the ground, making it impossible to return, of course. He kept trying to hit that same spot for the rest of the game, the little bugger. Luckily, his aim isn't perfect. ;)

• Like 4

Yesterday I did more cleaning and organizing, the house was in desperate need of attention. We got a little walk in the evening and a few sprints.

I've got this stupid sinus stuff going on now, it seems we are catching all the bugs at my house this year, it has been going through the kids. Thankfully it seems to be a mild bug, hopefully it is for me too.

Today we start back in with school. A walk is on our schedule. We'll do some strength stuff too, ds is doing his final test for his Physical Fitness badge today (he's been at it 12 wks). I know he has made a lot of improvement in that time.

Food has been ok here, with my digestion wonky I have been eating what sounded decent and settled well but it seems to be getting back to normal.

I had started tracking food again and then I got sick and things went crazy. This is a new week so I'll be working on it again. 

I'd like to join in here this month. Does anyone do a program for distasis rectii that they can point me to?

Welcome!  I used the Tupler Technique and Mutu Mamas. I'd highly rec'd. Mutu, it got me abs back, all I had was jello after the last baby. Slow and steady is the name of the game. 

We did a day trip to visit friends today. It involved biking onto the ferry to cross over to the island they live on, which was really fun. Then the spectacular part was playing tennis on their very own, personally crafted grass tennis court!!!!   :hurray:  Most of you wouldn't get to excited about this opportunity, but let me just say that there are only a handful of such courts in the entire country of Canada. Not only that, you get to imagine you're playing in Wimbledon, except you suck completely because of all the little irregularities on the court. :laugh:  It is really really hilarious and you are laughing so hard that it makes hitting the ball even harder! We got video of my dh acing me with his serve. The best part was that the ball hit a spot of ground and didn't bounce up at all. It simply skidded completely flat on the ground, making it impossible to return, of course. He kept trying to hit that same spot for the rest of the game, the little bugger. Luckily, his aim isn't perfect. ;)

I know nothing about tennis but it sounds like you had a fabulous time. 

I took yesterday off from tennis. DH and I went hiking at two different places and did about 5 miles so it wasn't a total loss. My ankles have been sore lately (I'm not sure of the cause although I have three different ideas.) and I wanted to take it easy and let them rest from the harsh movements of tennis.

I think my eating was good (DH and I shared an Almond Joy) and I was happy with my choices.

Today I'm trying to catch up on housework and a bit of yardwork as this next week will be busy with my new job and tennis. I have my final tri-level match on Tuesday and  4.5 clinic on Thursday. The good news is my new boss has agreed to let me continue my personal tennis schedule as much as possible. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to continue learning new skills and improving my game. I argued that everything I learn will be shared with the team and therefore is beneficial all around. I'm calling it "Professional Development."

I'm hoping my body will be able to handle the amount of tennis I will be playing from mid-August-mid-September. I'm looking at 6+ hours per day of on-court time. Part of me is excited and part is a bit apprehensive. 

Sounds like a great opportunity. If it gets to be too much can you just cut back on your personal schedule?

• Like 4

We did a day trip to visit friends today. It involved biking onto the ferry to cross over to the island they live on, which was really fun. Then the spectacular part was playing tennis on their very own, personally crafted grass tennis court!!!!   :hurray:  <snip>

Sounds like a great time. What neat friends you have. Definitely keep cultivating that relationship!

There's a grass court in Iowa that I have been trying to schedule time for. I am way down on the wait list, though, so it might be into next summer before I get court time.

I'm glad you had fun.

DS and I went out last night and he helped me hone a new tennis skill - backhand slice. I enjoy hitting with him because he hits with more pace and spin than the ladies and I need that practice for working on my 4.5.

• Like 2

Congratulations on the weight loss. That is a phenomenal loss for three weeks.

Thank you! I know the weight loss will slow so I am trying not to focus on the numbers. I am sure I lost quickly because I have so much to lose. I am trying not to focus too much on the scale but for now the numbers help motivate me. I hope soon I will have lost enough to feel the difference in my clothes but for now the numbers help. I am starting my fourth week and prepared for that to slow down and even out.

Afer finally starting my exercise on Thursday and Friday, I took Sat and Sun off. I was back at it this morning with no motivation trouble. I am sad that I am so out of shape that the short video is such a workout but I know I will get stronger.

Made it through the weekend eating wise with no trouble which included the trip to the Mexican restaurant and ordering pizza with some company we had over yesterday. I ordered a salad with the pizza and told myself that if I really wanted a piece I would go ahead and eat one but once it came and I had my salad I was fine. After three weeks low carb I feel the appetite and craving control kicking in. I think the 8 hour eating window is really helping, too.

Good luck to everyone to start the week!

• Like 4

I'd love to join you guys if you don't mind another poster!

I had been doing great, working out and eating well, until the stress of last year's election kicked in. Between one thing and another, I ended up stress eating for months, which turned into just eating more. Net result = +15lbs over 6 months.  :crying:

I've been eating well and upping my exercise over the past couple of months and have had a hard time losing weight. This week I'm redoubling my efforts and adding in some supplements as well as some goals. I've got my Fitbit charged and ready to keep me on track. Planning on upping my water intake again and cutting out almost all sugar. I eat mostly plant based too Selkie, and I always feel better when I'm very low sugar as well.

I'd love to fit back into the clothes that I was wearing a couple of years ago for a start!

Joining in!

I've come to the realization that my body seems to function best when my diet is almost entirely plant-based with very little sugar. I started following this plan in earnest about ten days ago. My goal was to lose 2 pounds by the end of July, but I ended up losing 5.5 lbs. I feel so much better, both physically and mentally.

Exercise - I get tons of that every single day because we have six horses and there is so much work involved in caring for them and working with them. I actually would appreciate getting a little less exercise some days  ;) .

My goal for August is to keep eating the way I have been and hopefully shed some more pounds.

• Like 6

Sounds like a great time. What neat friends you have. Definitely keep cultivating that relationship!

There's a grass court in Iowa that I have been trying to schedule time for. I am way down on the wait list, though, so it might be into next summer before I get court time.

I'm glad you had fun.

DS and I went out last night and he helped me hone a new tennis skill - backhand slice. I enjoy hitting with him because he hits with more pace and spin than the ladies and I need that practice for working on my 4.5.

I LOVE watching a backhand slice. It looks so amazing when mastered. I love how it seems to float over the net at super low heights. All the best with your new challenge! I haven't seen very many women master this shot, but those who have so have a nice "secret weapon" that easily throws off the rest of us. ;) 

I tried learning it a couple years ago when dh and I were taking lessons with a pro. I just haven't had the focus or interest to keep working on it myself. I'm really happy with the consistency and speed of my two-handed backhand now, and I have a one-handed backhand that I'll use when needed (as in a desperation move when I can't get to the ball any other way!  :laugh: ).  

• Like 3

I had been doing great, working out and eating well, until the stress of last year's election kicked in. Between one thing and another, I ended up stress eating for months, which turned into just eating more. Net result = +15lbs over 6 months.  :crying:

I've been eating well and upping my exercise over the past couple of months and have had a hard time losing weight. This week I'm redoubling my efforts and adding in some supplements as well as some goals. I've got my Fitbit charged and ready to keep me on track. Planning on upping my water intake again and cutting out almost all sugar. I eat mostly plant based too Selkie, and I always feel better when I'm very low sugar as well.

I'd love to fit back into the clothes that I was wearing a couple of years ago for a start!

Welcome!

I also struggle with stress eating. My go to foods are potato chips and french fries. I can give them up for awhile but not indefinitely. 

I also have clothes in my closet that I've been holding on to for "when I lose these extra pounds". I don't think they're in style anymore and I should do a purge. But, if I do that, I'll feel like I've given in. Getting rid of those clothes will mean the extra weight is here to stay.

Ugh.

• Like 3

I LOVE watching a backhand slice. It looks so amazing when mastered. I love how it seems to float over the net at super low heights. All the best with your new challenge! I haven't seen very many women master this shot, but those who have so have a nice "secret weapon" that easily throws off the rest of us. ;)

I tried learning it a couple years ago when dh and I were taking lessons with a pro. I just haven't had the focus or interest to keep working on it myself. I'm really happy with the consistency and speed of my two-handed backhand now, and I have a one-handed backhand that I'll use when needed (as in a desperation move when I can't get to the ball any other way!  :laugh: ).  

I have never learned it because I played against an opponent once whose entire game was slicing. It was infuriating. I swore I would never slice after that. I have recently changed my mind and want to have that skill available if I need it. I also need to be able to teach it effectively so learn it I must.

I've also changed my serve in the past two weeks and am floored at how well the new technique is working; 50% less work and lots more power. I've already taught it to two students and they like it too.

I typically have a two handed backhand that serves me well. 

I wish we could play against each other. I wouldn't mind a road trip to the north.

• Like 3

Dh and I are off to Montreal tomorrow for the Roger's Cup Pro Tennis tournament. We'll be watching all the men (the women are in Toronto). I'm so excited! There are about 6 practice courts where you get to watch up close as the players warm-up and practice. I've only seen the women before, and this year it looks like both Federer and Nadal will be competing. My favourite Canadian, Milos Raunic, will also be there. 

So I probably won't be much more physically active than walking around, standing, and watching lots of great tennis tomorrow. I'm fine with that!

• Like 5

wintermom- enjoy your trip, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

early morning walk w/ some sprints and then a bit of biking. I've not done any endurance exercise since I got sick and the biking kicked my butt, we have so many hills where I live. I still need to do some strength work.

• Like 5

Welcome!! The more the merrier.

I gained weight this fall too, although not from the election but a wonky thyroid, it has been slow going getting it off. 

• Like 3

Today was just an "ok" day. I ate pretty well most of the day but then ate too many pancakes for dinner. I didn't exercise.

Allergies have been bad the past two days. It's my own fault. When I did the Whole30 I discovered that eating too much dairy and sugar is a main cause of my allergy symptoms. As long as I'm careful I'm symptom free. If I push it too far it spirals out of control quickly. I had been eating more dairy than usual on the diet plan I just finished and having a few tolerable allergy symptoms. Then I ended last week with ice cream and cake - twice. I'm dumb. I knew I was pushing it. I took Benadryl last night before I went to bed. It did help me sleep but also left me in a fog until late this afternoon- and that was half a dose of children's Benadryl. I don't handle allergy meds well. ...and then tonight I ate all those pancakes made with milk...sigh...You'd think I'd be smarter than this by now. Maybe cooked milk won't have the same effect.

I need to come up with a plan and some "rules" for myself. I do much better when there's a clear plan.

• Like 5

Got in a strength-training session. Was pleased to find that I hadn't dropped any strength over vacation. Though I was doing strength-training, I had lower weights and no barbell. I am glad to be doing my own cooking again. What was hardest on vacation was the huge dinner every night, prepared on a rotating basis, and I felt I had to be sociable and eat from what was served instead of making my own (except on pizza night--then I made my own.) 

I recently read another article about the best measurement of health with regard to weight is that your measurement around your belly button should be 1/2 of your height. I fit into the category of normal BMI, but too large through the waist/abdomen. I have gone back and forth about this. There is some loose skin there from a 60 pound weight loss, but I am sure some of it is still visceral fat. Here's the article: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/07/170724105111.htm   Since I am apple-shaped when I am overweight and rectangular when I am not, I would have to loose around 15% of my body weight right now I am guessing. I am not really sure I want to do that. I've asked 3 docs and 2 said no, but the sports cardiologist said yes. He's the big researcher.  What to do, what to do... 

• Like 4

Since I am apple-shaped when I am overweight and rectangular when I am not,

I'm the same! My belly is the first place my body puts fat, and it's so hard to lose it. And that worries me because insulin resistance, heart disease, etc. Whole30 helped. That's all the wisdom I have to offer. Sorry!

• Like 3

I'm so annoyed just lost a post.

Laurie- I think 15% is a lot to lose for someone is not overweight. How do you feel about it? 

2nd gen- Today is a new day, just get back on that horse and start again. Have you tried Claritin for allergies? I used to use Benadryl but switched to Claritin, it works well w/out the side effects (and I was really freaked out when I read about the association of Benadryl to memory and dementia issues).

I've been waffling on whether or not to lose weight here. I'm not overweight. I don't carry weight in my belly luckily but my hips really expanded and I'm still not at my previous normal size. It still annoys me.

I'm within 5 lbs or so of where I was when I started gaining weight last fall. I'd really like to lose 8-10 lbs TBH. I can't figure out if that is vanity or it is just giving up to say I can't get to my previous weight (the weight I maintained through my other 3 pregnancies and births but I haven't been able to maintain since this last baby and being diagnosed with thyroid disease. I do well and then my thyroid goes crazy and I put on weight, rinse and repeat. I really wish my stupid thyroid would stay stabilized, it seems I can't make it more than 6 months without it getting off and now we are getting close to the fall which always seems to be a bad time for me). Ramblings here. Anyway, I didn't make the goal to be at that number by my b-day, my new goal is to make it by Nov when my youngest turns 5 (it is hard to believe she is that old!!)

• Like 5

I've heard about the health problems associated with fat around the waist. I believe that part of the problem is the fat around the organs, which interferes with their function over time.  The difficulty is that we can't target fat loss in specific areas without medical/surgical intervention. So we're left with trying to lose weight which might be fat or fluid or muscle, and at the same time trying to gain or maintain muscle mass. It's definitely a challenge!

• Like 2

I'm so annoyed just lost a post.

2nd gen- Today is a new day, just get back on that horse and start again. Have you tried Claritin for allergies? I used to use Benadryl but switched to Claritin, it works well w/out the side effects (and I was really freaked out when I read about the association of Benadryl to memory and dementia issues).

I have tried Claritin too. Same foggy feeling plus it dries everything out and I can't sleep because my mouth and nasal passages are so try - even with children's Claritin. I usually just don't take anything. Fortunately, now that I know what triggers it, I can get it under control pretty quickly. Three days later and eating pretty well and I feel significantly better already.

Today's exercise was karate class and then a couple hours playing Ultimate Frisbee with friends. It's mostly teens and college age kids who play but all ages can play as long as they follow the rules. I'm the oldest by 10 years and my 7yo is the youngest. My youngest siblings organize it and invited me which is why I play at all. It does feel a little weird sometimes to be playing with all the kids while all the other parents sit on the sidelines. I'm younger than the other parents by 15 years or more though so I really don't "fit" in either group. Oh well, two hours of chasing my 19yo sister around a field is an excellent workout. And it's fun. I'm not great at the game but I'm getting better and I can keep up pretty well.

• Like 3

It was a very full and exciting day at the pro tennis tournament. I got to see Nadal practicing!!!  Very cool.  I also got to see Sam Querry (USA) play a singles match against the French player Vincent Millot. They were playing their match in a very small stadium, so I was really close to the court. The size difference between the 2 players was crazy! Querry is 6'6" and Millot is 5'8" and when they stood together at the net it looked like a father and tiny son situation. The match was very close, but Querry managed to hold on to win in 3 sets. Being so close to the court, you get an excellent view of just how fast they are serving and hitting the ball. Unbelieveable!!   (I have some photos, but am unsuccessful in posting them so far. I'll keep trying.)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

I biked to the tennis courts and rallied a little with ds 15 this morning. In the evening I had a ladies doubles competitive match. It was a great game. It's nice to play tennis again instead of just watching!  :laugh:  I'm not a very good sports fan. I'd much prefer to play than watch. 

• Like 2

Laurie- I think 15% is a lot to lose for someone is not overweight. How do you feel about it? 

I am somewhat ambivalent.  I mentioned I have some loose skin from prior large weight loss. Thankfully, not too much. I measured today and pulled the skin taut to get a more accurate measurement and it was about an inch difference. I am guesstimating about 10% weight loss to hit that new mark. 

Yesterday was cardio only day and I ended up with zero. I got caught up by earlier sunset. The time I would normally start out since the start of summer was nearly dark! (I have been on vaca for 2 weeks when I wasn't exercising at that time of the evening, so it caught me by surprise!) 

Today, I had planned Zumba but we wanted to take ds out to dinner his last night home before college and Zumba is at dinner time. 

I ended up just doing strength training today except the minor amount of cardio I do for warm up. But, I hit a new personal best on full length push-ups and knee push-ups too so I am happy about that! 

I also did my stretches. It's possible that I am starting to like them!

Tomorrow, Friday, and Saturday, I will need to do cardio and work in one more strength training. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 2

BTW, my personal trainer told me that a person's heart beats more slowly in the water. Part of it is the water pressure and another part is being horizontal makes it easier for a person's heart to pump the blood. There are different formulas for figuring out an approximation, but at least 12 beats per minute slower seems the minimum. I was wondering why I was breathing hard but my pulse was only "meh." Now I know!  Thought I would share in case anyone else tracks heart rate in the pool. 

• Like 3

We're back in our groove of morning walks (after a crazy week last week having to leave early every morning). We've thrown in some biking and sprints in there and yesterday I did a bit of jogging. 

I've decided to go ahead and work on losing some more weight. As of Mon. it was 100 days until my youngest b-day. I'm aiming for 1lb every 10 days or stopping when I reach X. I figure losing weight is only going to get harder and I'd rather be lighter before I go into menopause and my body fights me even more. So, 9 lbs to go at this point.

I've not done any strength work and will just wait until Fri. now. We will be working Fri. and I do not want to be sore. So, I will hit the 1x a week mark this week but not 2x. 

I have tried Claritin too. Same foggy feeling plus it dries everything out and I can't sleep because my mouth and nasal passages are so try - even with children's Claritin. I usually just don't take anything. Fortunately, now that I know what triggers it, I can get it under control pretty quickly. Three days later and eating pretty well and I feel significantly better already.

Today's exercise was karate class and then a couple hours playing Ultimate Frisbee with friends. It's mostly teens and college age kids who play but all ages can play as long as they follow the rules. I'm the oldest by 10 years and my 7yo is the youngest. My youngest siblings organize it and invited me which is why I play at all. It does feel a little weird sometimes to be playing with all the kids while all the other parents sit on the sidelines. I'm younger than the other parents by 15 years or more though so I really don't "fit" in either group. Oh well, two hours of chasing my 19yo sister around a field is an excellent workout. And it's fun. I'm not great at the game but I'm getting better and I can keep up pretty well.

Glad your sinuses are improving. I like frisbee too, not that I'm any good at it. I play with the kids sometime but have never done an official game.

I am somewhat ambivalent.  I mentioned I have some loose skin from prior large weight loss. Thankfully, not too much. I measured today and pulled the skin taut to get a more accurate measurement and it was about an inch difference. I am guesstimating about 10% weight loss to hit that new mark. 

Yesterday was cardio only day and I ended up with zero. I got caught up by earlier sunset. The time I would normally start out since the start of summer was nearly dark! (I have been on vaca for 2 weeks when I wasn't exercising at that time of the evening, so it caught me by surprise!) 

Today, I had planned Zumba but we wanted to take ds out to dinner his last night home before college and Zumba is at dinner time. 

I ended up just doing strength training today except the minor amount of cardio I do for warm up. But, I hit a new personal best on full length push-ups and knee push-ups too so I am happy about that! 

I also did my stretches. It's possible that I am starting to like them!

Tomorrow, Friday, and Saturday, I will need to do cardio and work in one more strength training. 

Well, I guess you could try losing weight and see how it goes. Great job on the push-ups!

BTW, my personal trainer told me that a person's heart beats more slowly in the water. Part of it is the water pressure and another part is being horizontal makes it easier for a person's heart to pump the blood. There are different formulas for figuring out an approximation, but at least 12 beats per minute slower seems the minimum. I was wondering why I was breathing hard but my pulse was only "meh." Now I know!  Thought I would share in case anyone else tracks heart rate in the pool. 

Interesting, I know swimming kicks my butt!

I'm on vacation and expect to gain weight. I'm just hoping to keep my muscle endurance. I worked so hard to gain it, so I better not lose it. I'm trying to do some body weight exercises. 80 full push ups and some squats so far.

Sounds like your kicking butt!

• Like 2

I crawled out of bed and did my video this morning. My goal is to do it M-F because weekends just get away from me. I made it Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday monring I convinced myself (while laying in bed) that my legs were sore and I should go ahead and take an off day. Later once my coffee hit I realized that was not at all accurate :( But I did get up and back on it today.

I am doing great eating. I am keeping my eating window to about 7 hours a day and staying low carb. I have never eaten so many vegetables before. I feel like I am making good changes. No change on the scale this week but I had lost 12 lbs in three weeks so I was expecting to slow down. I know if I keep on as I have it has to improve. I just need to be patient.

I am having lunch with a couple of friends today at a diner type place that serves huge portions. Even the salads will be loaded with calories. I looked at the menu and saw a Greek pizza dish. It looks like spinach, marinara sauce, and mozzarella on a pita. I am going to order that, I think. It will be the first non fruit or veg carbs I have had in a month. I am telling myself I can enjoy my lunch with my friends and good food and get right back on track.

• Like 4

I crawled out of bed and did my video this morning. My goal is to do it M-F because weekends just get away from me. I made it Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday monring I convinced myself (while laying in bed) that my legs were sore and I should go ahead and take an off day. Later once my coffee hit I realized that was not at all accurate :( But I did get up and back on it today.

I am doing great eating. I am keeping my eating window to about 7 hours a day and staying low carb. I have never eaten so many vegetables before. I feel like I am making good changes. No change on the scale this week but I had lost 12 lbs in three weeks so I was expecting to slow down. I know if I keep on as I have it has to improve. I just need to be patient.

I am having lunch with a couple of friends today at a diner type place that serves huge portions. Even the salads will be loaded with calories. I looked at the menu and saw a Greek pizza dish. It looks like spinach, marinara sauce, and mozzarella on a pita. I am going to order that, I think. It will be the first non fruit or veg carbs I have had in a month. I am telling myself I can enjoy my lunch with my friends and good food and get right back on track.

Congratulations on your work! The key, imo,, is getting right back on the wagon after a brief fall, just like you did with the video. Eating loads of veges is so good for you in so many ways!

Whether the scale shows improvement or not, your health is benefiting from the changes you are making. Whether it had showed up yet in blood pressure, blood sugar, etc yet or not, it eventually would have and you are reversing that direction. So good for you!

• Like 3

I'm on vacation and expect to gain weight. I'm just hoping to keep my muscle endurance. I worked so hard to gain it, so I better not lose it. I'm trying to do some body weight exercises. 80 full push ups and some squats so far.

Way to go on the bodyweight exercises! That's a load of push-ups!

• Like 2

Today will be a hard day for me. My youngest son is moving into his college dorm. (Next to youngest leaves for college later this month and we will be truly empty nest.)  Oldest son lives in Germany with his German wife. That is permanent.  I have found that new griefs open up channels to the old ones. I'm also grieving my father's Alzheimer's. (My vacation was spent with him and extended family. We had some good times, but also sad.) 

So anyway, if I don't get in cardio, I will be a basket case. But I may also want to shirk it because I might already be a basket case. 

• Like 2

I would ask for a source on this. I've never heard it before and I've been competitive swimming and studying swim coaching at the university level.  

I also did a quick search on google scholar, and at least according to one study, heart rate for walking on a treadmill in water was significantly higher than walking on a treadmill on land. They were studying whether exercising in water would be an effective means of training for people unable to handle weight-baring activities on land. 

The reason you may be breathing hard but the heart rate doesn't increase as much could be more to do with the effectiveness of your breathing technique and your comfort level in the water. As a personal test, try running in deep water (with a belt on if needed) and see if your heart rate increases when there is no face-in-the-water effect.

• Like 2

Maybe M - F is convenient for you, but not the most effective for your body's response to exercise at this point. You may need a rest day after 2 or 3 straight days of doing the exact same work-out routine. Perhaps doing a different work-out that focuses on a different area of the body or a different kind of movement might be a good way to break up the 5-day consecutive work-outs. 

Muscle soreness isn't a bad thing at all. That's a sign that the muscle is repairing and getting stronger. After exercise, our muscles experience microscopic tears, and it's the rebuilding and repairing which naturally occurs during rest that makes the muscles bigger and stronger.  

Often rolling your muscles with a foam roller after a work-out can decrease the soreness that you may experience. You could even use a rolling pin if you don't have a foam roller.

• Like 2

It is so encouraging to read all the posts. 

I finally lost two pounds after stalling for three and a half weeks. So glad I did not give up. I could tell I was losing inches and gaining muscle, but it is nice for the scale to move when you have made that a goal. I have 4 pounds more to lose to reach my first BIG goal of losing 20 pounds. I will celebrate then and change some things up as I tackle the next ten pounds. I would love to lose 30 pounds total. 

I might have to go shopping soon as my jeans were way too big now, but it is weeks before I need to wear them regularly; it is too hot most days to wear jeans. So I think I will wait to see what happens size wise. I bought two new dresses so I have clothes appropriate for work and church. They are mediums! My frame is too big to ever wear a small - giant shoulders. 

I have been swimming 6 out of 7 days about 40 minutes a session. I know that will be harder to maintain once I go back to work teaching, but I am going to make myself a priority this year. I have had to say no to some volunteer work this season, but that is ok. There will be time another year to get back to that. 

Best wishes all!

• Like 4

Maybe M - F is convenient for you, but not the most effective for your body's response to exercise at this point. You may need a rest day after 2 or 3 straight days of doing the exact same work-out routine. Perhaps doing a different work-out that focuses on a different area of the body or a different kind of movement might be a good way to break up the 5-day consecutive work-outs. 

Muscle soreness isn't a bad thing at all. That's a sign that the muscle is repairing and getting stronger. After exercise, our muscles experience microscopic tears, and it's the rebuilding and repairing which naturally occurs during rest that makes the muscles bigger and stronger.  

Often rolling your muscles with a foam roller after a work-out can decrease the soreness that you may experience. You could even use a rolling pin if you don't have a foam roller.

Thanks. My exercise at this point is pretty gentle as I am so terribly out of shape. I mix up the videos I do but the reality is none of them are very stenuous and any soreness is very mild. I was just being lazy yesterday when I skipped.

I remember being in better shape and being able to really work out hard and then need to rest that muscle group. That is far more fun than the huffing and puffing through light exercise I am doing now. :( I keep telling myself I will get stronger and get back there.

• Like 2

Today will be a hard day for me. My youngest son is moving into his college dorm. (Next to youngest leaves for college later this month and we will be truly empty nest.)  Oldest son lives in Germany with his German wife. That is permanent.  I have found that new griefs open up channels to the old ones. I'm also grieving my father's Alzheimer's. (My vacation was spent with him and extended family. We had some good times, but also sad.) 

So anyway, if I don't get in cardio, I will be a basket case. But I may also want to shirk it because I might already be a basket case. 

:grouphug:  I am so sorry.  My daughter is my only, and we're starting her senior year of high school this year.  I am really dreading her moving out.  I am going to be a mess.  If she moves as far as Germany, I might have to just go with her!!!  I'm so sorry about your Dad, too.  That must be really rough.   :crying:

• Like 2

Thanks. My exercise at this point is pretty gentle as I am so terribly out of shape. I mix up the videos I do but the reality is none of them are very stenuous and any soreness is very mild. I was just being lazy yesterday when I skipped.

I remember being in better shape and being able to really work out hard and then need to rest that muscle group. That is far more fun than the huffing and puffing through light exercise I am doing now. :( I keep telling myself I will get stronger and get back there.

We all get sore and tired more easily when getting back into condition. Even less strenuous work-outs can throw you when you're just starting back up again. The tiredness and soreness is real. Happily, if we push on through and keep going, it gets easier and we feel much better and stronger!

• Like 3

Not getting to the gym much because the van is in the shop for repairs, and I am driving dh's stick shift which really bothers my bad ankle. So no extra trips. That said, apart from an occasional veggie like celery or carrots and a small supper at night, I'm not eating much so at least I won't be gaining weight.

• Like 3

I would ask for a source on this. I've never heard it before and I've been competitive swimming and studying swim coaching at the university level.  

I also did a quick search on google scholar, and at least according to one study, heart rate for walking on a treadmill in water was significantly higher than walking on a treadmill on land. They were studying whether exercising in water would be an effective means of training for people unable to handle weight-baring activities on land. 

The reason you may be breathing hard but the heart rate doesn't increase as much could be more to do with the effectiveness of your breathing technique and your comfort level in the water. As a personal test, try running in deep water (with a belt on if needed) and see if your heart rate increases when there is no face-in-the-water effect.

My personal trainer has a masters in exercise physiology and works at a university facility where pretty much all the staff do as well. There is a pool there. So I do trust her expertise. 

I do primarily backstroke so no face in the water. :)  If I used perceived exertion, I feel like I am exercising harder than my heart rate would say. 

Here are some online sources: http://www.livestrong.com/article/166752-heart-rate-during-swimming/

These HR responses, for both maximal and submaximal exercises, have been well described in the literature because the HR undergoes alteration with immersion in water, as the submerged body is subject to hydrostatic pressure. This acts to increase the venous return from the peripheral regions to the central region of the body, increasing the volume of blood in the heart and consequently leading to increased systolic volume and lower HR to maintain the cardiac output (Arborelius et al., 1972)

as quoted in: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3772607/

The relationship of heart rate to VO2 during water exercise parallels that of land-based exercise, though water heart rate averages 10 beats/min less, for reasons discussed elsewhere [9]. Metabolic intensity in water, as on land, may be predicted from monitoring heart rate  https://www.ewacmedical.com/files/555nd5te6.pdf

• Like 2

My personal trainer has a masters in exercise physiology and works at a university facility where pretty much all the staff do as well. There is a pool there. So I do trust her expertise. 

I do primarily backstroke so no face in the water. :)  If I used perceived exertion, I feel like I am exercising harder than my heart rate would say. 

Here are some online sources: http://www.livestrong.com/article/166752-heart-rate-during-swimming/

These HR responses, for both maximal and submaximal exercises, have been well described in the literature because the HR undergoes alteration with immersion in water, as the submerged body is subject to hydrostatic pressure. This acts to increase the venous return from the peripheral regions to the central region of the body, increasing the volume of blood in the heart and consequently leading to increased systolic volume and lower HR to maintain the cardiac output (Arborelius et al., 1972)

as quoted in: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3772607/

The relationship of heart rate to VO2 during water exercise parallels that of land-based exercise, though water heart rate averages 10 beats/min less, for reasons discussed elsewhere [9]. Metabolic intensity in water, as on land, may be predicted from monitoring heart rate  https://www.ewacmedical.com/files/555nd5te6.pdf

Interesting. Never read about that before. Thanks for the links. 

• Like 3

Karate class tonight. I haven't really worked out this week except for the fun stuff like karate and frisbee. I need to do more. The rest of this week is super busy but next week I need to get myself back on a more consistent routine.

My diet hasn't been terrible. I don't really keep junk in the house. I just need to tweak it a bit - more vegetables, less carbs, still need to cut the dairy more. I'm grocery shopping tomorrow to prep for that.

• Like 3

I am trying to get back here :) After our trip, I barely exercised in June, with an exception of an occasional 30-minute swim, gained 5-6 pounds, and started sliding into depression. I started regular fencing in July, but felt really meh to post. I read this thread occasionally, but couldn't bring myself to post. To add to the negative vibe, I hurt my right wrist somehow, probably by overworking it, and it still acts up. I should probably give it a complete rest, but I am afraid that without fencing I will feel worse mentally. Anyway, I am still those 5-6 pounds over my June weight, which was already above my ideal weight. I do fence regularly, and hopefully improve, at least according to my coach (in his words, my lessons have finally started to get close to what proper lesson should be, so not very encouraging :) ) In plans for this month is a competition next weekend, with two event, one of which is my first time fencing only veterans event, and just fencing and hopefully eating better.

• Like 4

I am trying to get back here :) After our trip, I barely exercised in June, with an exception of an occasional 30-minute swim, gained 5-6 pounds, and started sliding into depression. I started regular fencing in July, but felt really meh to post. I read this thread occasionally, but couldn't bring myself to post. To add to the negative vibe, I hurt my right wrist somehow, probably by overworking it, and it still acts up. I should probably give it a complete rest, but I am afraid that without fencing I will feel worse mentally. Anyway, I am still those 5-6 pounds over my June weight, which was already above my ideal weight. I do fence regularly, and hopefully improve, at least according to my coach (in his words, my lessons have finally started to get close to what proper lesson should be, so not very encouraging :) ) In plans for this month is a competition next weekend, with two event, one of which is my first time fencing only veterans event, and just fencing and hopefully eating better.

All the best at the competition!  I would take the comment from the coach as a complement. You must have reached a certain level of both fitness and skill level so that he can take you through a higher intensity work-out with a greater variety of skill work and drills. That sounds very exciting to me! Go for it!! 

• Like 3

I went and played some more tennis this evening. It was pretty slow at first with the doubles drop-in. Then I got an opportunity to hit balls with a high level male player for 30 minutes. This was an excellent work-out and wonderful practice for my forehand and backhand shots at high speed. At least it was high speed for me, I"m sure the guy was hitting a lot slower than his match pace. Oh well, it was great fun for me, and he was happy to hit some balls before his tournament match tomorrow. 

• Like 4