Menu

What's with the ads?

GeoKitty

Wells' The Time Machine question....

Not sure where to post this, and I tried looking online but was unsuccessful. We are reading the Time Machine aloud. ...

Anyway, at the end of chapter six, the Time Traveler describes the Morlocks as having "lidless" eyes. A couple of paragraphs later, as the Time Traveler is ascending the well, the Morlocks looked at him and "blinked." DD noticed this discrepancy. How can they blink if they don't have eyelids, she asked me. Honestly, I didn't even notice. And I don't know how to answer her. It bothers her, really bothers her.

Does anyone have any insight? Maybe this is an obvious thing.... But I don't know. And if it didn't bother DD so much, I wouldn't really care. Lol. Help?

My answer would be that authors are human and humans can be inadvertently inconsistent.

How old is your daughter?

I read it a long time ago - so, my understanding at that time was that their eyes blinked like a light bulb might ( or a bad fluorescent bulb might ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

DD is 12.

Eyes blinked like a light bulb..... interesting..... I'll tell her that maybe that's how.....

or the author is human. Lol

Interesting.....we read it this year and I vaguely remember it ......What was the sentence again???....I thought I read it as he is describing them as eyes constantly open, like in shock, he was using the word "lidless" to describe their expression????

Ok, so here are the sentences.....

"You can scarce imagine how nauseatingly inhuman they looked- those pale, chinless faces and great, lidless, pinkish- grey eyes!- as they stared in their blindness and bewilderment."

And then at the end of that paragraph....

"But I had my hands on the climbing bars now, and, kicking violently, I disengaged myself from the clutches of the Morlocks and was speedily clambering up the shaft, while they stayed peering and blinking up at me..."

I am picturing something like a cat's inner eye lid, something that slides over the eye from within.

• Like 1

My DD likes the idea of their eyes being like cat's eyes, or snakes' eyes. Otherwise, she still says it make no sense. Lol. Thank you for your insight!

Maybe he meant something like the kind of eye some Asians have, where you can't see the lid when the eye is opened?  There's a cosmetic surgery that I think is especially popular in Korea to make a 'double lid' that you can see when the eye is open.

• Like 1