Menu

How much homeschool daily

visitor

About 1.5 hours for my 1st grader and 2.5 hours for my 3rd grader of "school" 4 days a week...plus tons of free reading, listening to read alouds, a weekly art class, gym and swimming, speech therapy, snap circuits, lots of hours spent drawing, etc.

Wendy

• Like 1

For my young 2nd grader (will be 7 in September) I aim for about 1.5 hours of work time, where she is working on skills of copywork, math, and reading aloud to me. Then we have another 30-60 minutes of read aloud time (not all at once), but she can play quietly or color while listening.

What do you consider homeschool? I don't mean to be flip, but we don't count a lot of our activities as "school" even though they are educational.

This is our first day, so times are rough estimates. Seat work and read aloud took about 4 hours for DS11. DS7 has about 2 hours. This doesn't count reading, music and sports practices, educational videos, typing and coding practice, hands-on activities, etc.

Edited by Black-eyed Suzan
  • Like 1

I have a 7yo.

Assigned academics: 3 hours/day, 4 days/week, includes math, English, foreign language, science, social studies

Other:

- 5 hours, one day/week, at a charter school, probably doing music, art, and Legos (starting next month)

- 2-4 hours/week of planned extracurriculars such as swim, gymnastics, circus arts, etc.

- 30 minutes/day of family read aloud

- 1-3 afternoons/week spent on field trips that would often count as school-ish

- 2+ hours/day of free reading, mostly crappy quality fiction and interesting nonfiction

9 yo about 4-5 hours a day of "seat work", includes piano practice of 30-45 minutes.

7 yo about 1.5-2 hours a day of "seat work", includes piano practice (10-15 min).

This does not include time when I read aloud to them. That usually happens over meals. Maybe an extra 30-60 min/day

Chinese school 2 hours / week

What do you consider homeschool? I don't mean to be flip, but we don't count a lot of our activities as "school" even though they are educational.

This is our first day, so times are rough estimates. Seat work and read aloud took about 4 hours for DS11. DS7 has about 2 hours. This doesn't count reading, music and sports practices, educational videos, typing and coding practice, hands-on activities, etc.

I think it is a good question.

When I orientated me on CM style homeschooling I discovered she considered a several things as 'free time' I would consider 'school' so her 'short days' became 'long days' in my terms.

To OP:

Grade 4 was a point that days became longer, grade 7 and 9 too.

I think it also depends on the child.

Some children need a certain amount of planned activities (as school and sports) to function well / be happy. Other children need a certain amount of freetime to think / dream / explore the world.

If you have both it can be difficult to adjust your schedule to each individuality.

I have to admit I quit at 16:00

Dd has still some reading work to do after that.

But at that hour I am empty and not available any longer for questions.

I am mentally back again around 19:00 :)

• Like 2

This year, as far as actual assigned seat-work, I have planned 2.5 hours for my 9yo and about 1.25 hours for my 5yo, 4 days per week for 43 weeks with a start date coinciding with that of the PS.  The remaining state-required instruction time will be met (and probably far exceeded) by P.E. (swimming), quality read-alouds and audiobooks, student-directed art projects, educational games and toys, leisure reading they do on their own, library/museum/zoo/etc trips, educational computer games, documentaries, and other educational screen time.

• 2 weeks later...

My 6 yo gets her stuff done in 30 minutes. My 8 yo *can* get his done in 3 hrs, though he often takes longer because he's easily distracted. Since the question of "what counts as school?" has come up, that 3 hours includes 30 min each of English reading, German reading, Piano, and Viola, and the other hour is math, spelling, writing (including drawing something for his writing), and some other German curriculum we do together. I don't count our read alouds, hiking, taking walks, legos/snap circuits, etc.

Edited by 4kookiekids

My 3rd & 5th graders have an 8 hour school day that includes 1.5 hours of breaks/lunch. But to give you a clear perspective: The other 6.5 hours includes ALL educational, required activities, like art, music, reading, programming, study hall (homework), and student-choice projects in addition to the core subjects and foreign languages. There are NO activities required after school hours. Basically, we spend about 4 hours per day on core subjects and languages.

For 4th grade, I'm planning roughly:

2 hours - working with me

1 hour - independent work

1 hour - assigned reading

1 hour - music practice 

2nd grader is not an accelerated learner, but for comparison he'll be doing: 

2 hours - working with me

30 minutes - independent work

30 minutes - music practice