Menu

I want to use Audible more - how to improve auditory attention and comprehension? xposted

I love the idea of audio books and lectures, and I have definitely enjoyed some. However, my attention tends to wander, and sometimes 10 minutes have gone by before I realize I have tuned out. This doesn't happen as much with video lectures, even if it's just someone standing there lecturing, with no compelling video component. 

My comprehension is also lower with audio only. It's better if I'm taking notes, but of course the allure of audio is to listen while in the car and so on. It's better when I'm walking, worse folding clothes or driving the car. 

Any ideas for improving auditory comprehension? When I google, I get stuff aimed at teaching children how to listen to directions and so forth, and I've never had a problem when someone is giving verbal directions or talking to me. 

Hit me with your best ideas and resources, please! 

Do you have trouble with auditory stuff regularly, or trouble understanding if you pay attention?  If you not, you might need to speed up the playback. I can't focus if it is going too slowly because I am thinking all kinds of other things at a mile a minute. If I turn the speed up to 1.6x or higher, I can actually focus and listen. 

• Like 3

Agreeing with the suggestion to speed it up. I think I've read (from Ben Foss, not sure) that you actually have to take it to 3X to have it match the speed you'd be reading the printed book. He suggests bumping it .5 each week, as comfortable, till you get there.

• Like 2

Agreeing with the suggestion to speed it up. I think I've read (from Ben Foss, not sure) that you actually have to take it to 3X to have it match the speed you'd be reading the printed book. He suggests bumping it .5 each week, as comfortable, till you get there.

Whoa! 3x is INTENSE! lol. I usually listen at 2x because that is as fast as the Overdrive app lets you go, but depending on the speed of the original audio, it does start to sound like machine gun fire :)   I've noticed I have to slow it down in the evening or I'll be too hyper to actually fall asleep. 

• Like 1

I think the main thing is that with an audio book, we assume we can multi-task.  But with a printed book, you would never (I hope!) attempt to drive and read at the same time.  If you simply laid in bed and listened, you'd probably do ok.  :-)  So it's less about auditory attention and more about not having a similar environment to how we'd read a book or even listen to a lecture with video.  

I find I can fold laundry and listen, but much more than that and I get too distracted.  

• Like 1

I find it takes practice. Also listening to something you are very, very interested in. I can pay attention better to Sally Clarkson's podcasts because I find what she says interesting.

But I still end up leaving my phone in another room, and not even realizing I walked away for.like 10 minutes. lol

• Like 1

I think the main thing is that with an audio book, we assume we can multi-task. But with a printed book, you would never (I hope!) attempt to drive and read at the same time. If you simply laid in bed and listened, you'd probably do ok. :-) So it's less about auditory attention and more about not having a similar environment to how we'd read a book or even listen to a lecture with video.

I find I can fold laundry and listen, but much more than that and I get too distracted.

This is the thing for me. I can't do audiobooks unless I'm on a walk and can focus just on listening, or driving by myself (rare!). Most other activities require too much focus and so I get distracted. Sweeping and dishes can be ok. But even then, I often end up thinking about something else.

Part of it is the speed issue, too... I read quickly and to get to that speed on audio makes it sound so very weird.

I love the idea of audio books and lectures, and I have definitely enjoyed some. However, my attention tends to wander, and sometimes 10 minutes have gone by before I realize I have tuned out. This doesn't happen as much with video lectures, even if it's just someone standing there lecturing, with no compelling video component. 

My comprehension is also lower with audio only. It's better if I'm taking notes, but of course the allure of audio is to listen while in the car and so on. It's better when I'm walking, worse folding clothes or driving the car. 

Any ideas for improving auditory comprehension? When I google, I get stuff aimed at teaching children how to listen to directions and so forth, and I've never had a problem when someone is giving verbal directions or talking to me. 

Hit me with your best ideas and resources, please! 

Are you trying to improve this in yourself or are you thinking of how to insulate the children from them tuning out?

I believe that some people are simply strong auditory learners.  Others are very strong in other areas.  Like you, I struggle with auditory.  Audiobook?  Torture.  I would rather just read the whole book and can do so faster.  I do not find sitting back, being still, and just listening, enjoyable.

On the other hand, I have a son who is a very strong auditory learner.  Give him ANYTHING on audio book and it is retained.  It boggles my mind sometimes.  We did nothing to enhance this skill other than choosing the books well and encouraging (making) him listen often.  

• Like 2

Wait, are you saying that with Audible you can adjust the speed???? That would make it worth getting a subscription! I used to listen to CD recordings at faster speed, but "upgrades" eliminated that option.

The audible app on my phone goes up to 4x. You can adjust the speed on basically everything now, even playback of YouTube videos.

• Like 1

Can you read along with it?

Not in the car!  :lol:

Sorry, I crack myself up sometimes. When reading is an option, I would just as soon just read, because I can go faster than the audio. Although if doing both might increase audio fluency, I do have a few books and audio I could practice with. 

Do you have trouble with auditory stuff regularly, or trouble understanding if you pay attention?  If you not, you might need to speed up the playback. I can't focus if it is going too slowly because I am thinking all kinds of other things at a mile a minute. If I turn the speed up to 1.6x or higher, I can actually focus and listen. 

Intriguing. No trouble with other auditory stuff. I may try this. 

Are you trying to improve this in yourself or are you thinking of how to insulate the children from them tuning out?

I believe that some people are simply strong auditory learners.  Others are very strong in other areas.  Like you, I struggle with auditory.  Audiobook?  Torture.  I would rather just read the whole book and can do so faster.  I do not find sitting back, being still, and just listening, enjoyable.

On the other hand, I have a son who is a very strong auditory learner.  Give him ANYTHING on audio book and it is retained.  It boggles my mind sometimes.  We did nothing to enhance this skill other than choosing the books well and encouraging (making) him listen often.  

I'm trying to improve it in myself, because I drive too much and fold too much laundry. I don't love listening to music for long periods of time. I envy your son!

We listen to audio books and lectures in the car. Captive audience, nothing else to do, easy to pay attention.

I am normally a visual learner and do not retain pure audio information well. Listening while driving is the only waythat works for me. 

I wish! It's not easy at all for me to pay attention while driving or traveling. I do not like to drive, at all, so you would think it would be a nice diversion. 

Edited by katilac

I'm like this, too, but better at focusing on audio when I'm driving. I do find the choice of book/narrator/narrative style makes a difference. I'm actually better with radio play adaptations of books, than a straightforward single narrator. I think the different voices and more dialogue and action keeps my attention.

I find it harder to listen when I'm doing chores, because I tend to move around the house, or have to deal with interruptions. Often the best time for us is to listen while we're having breakfast.:)

Edited by stutterfish
  • Like 1