Menu

BJU Life Science - Microscope

momandsam

My son is going to do BJU life science with just the textbook and lab manual (no videos). I am going through the labs and deciding which ones we want to do or leave out. We are also adding in extra activities of our own. Is a microscope a necessary part to this curriculum? He is not particularly interested in science, just wants to get it done and move on (he's like that in all subjects). However, he did enjoy the BJU 6  hands-on activities. I'm just trying to decide whether it would be worth it or just wait until biology to purchase one?

We did use the videos for dd, but also bought a microscope.  However, she got it for Christmas after the microscope lessons were mostly over.  We intended to go back and do them, but didn't.  The very expensive microscope barely has been used since.  It was fun when we first got it, but in retrospect I feel like it was $ I should have waited to spend for biology.  I really wish we'd gotten a stereoscope vs. a compound microscope, because I think we'd have use that more.  It used to be that you could buy the "labs only" dvd for life science, but now that they've updated the course I don't know if that exists or not.  Watching the labs was really good for my dd; she did the lab manual along with the lesson and learned plenty.  You might already know that usually in December BJU does a $99 special for all courses, in case you want to buy the DLO lessons then.