Menu

Road trip from DC to Dallas , what to do?

Princess5

I did a similar road trip a year ago (further on destination but basically the same). Are you wanting straight line options, or meandering and bunny trail ones. We went to Monticello, visited a coal mine in Charlestown, WV, visited the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, KY. We thought about staying in the hotel in Bartlesville, OK designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and visiting Woolaroc, but the dates didn't work. With another day, I would've done the Magic House in St Louis for my youngest and the Arch for the rest of us. And maybe a MLB game.

Tennessee is a fun place to visit, travel through, The Smoky Mountains. We enjoyed Pinson Mounds State Archaeological Park in TN.

In Arkansas the Crater of Diamonds State Park and Hot Springs National Park. 

I wish we had been able to go to Chickasaw National Wildlife Refuge bordering Arkansas from TN. 

Skyline Drive or any part of the Blue RIdge Parkway for a diversion.

Looking at Google maps, it looks like you go through Nashville and Memphis. Nashville is a fun town to explore. I haven't been to Memphis. See Graceland maybe? Or you could stop before that in Pigeon Forge and hit Dollywood and the things around there. In Arkansas, you go near Hot Springs. Maybe a hot spring? 

We just did the other direction. :)  We enjoyed the Appalachian Museum in Tennessee, but missed the Dirty Dancing inn (Kellerman's, I forget what it's really called) because I pushed through half an hour longer to get to a hotel.  Graceland is expensive but was a great experience for my kids.  That was our big splurge of the trip. :)  We also stopped at all the kitchy rest stops.  Texas has some great ones with little museums and playgrounds.  I think the weirdest one was the one outside of Eastland, Tx.  They all were worth stopping at, though. 

When I would go from the Dallas area to Mid Atlantic area I enjoyed I-81 in VA and from Middle TN and E. TN Knoxville up the Shenandoah Valley Roanoke I remember as relaxing and pretty. You could see a lot of things in Nashville. You could visit Elvis in Memphis. Not sure what your DC would enjoy and they should be the priority. Enjoy your trip

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk