Menu

ArtcticMama and others in AK - Watch out for Caribou!

Lanny

As you and your family drive to the "lower 48", watch out for Caribou!   This involved a Civil Turbojet aircraft, but I assume more than a few cars and trucks have hit Caribou. Drive Safely! Godspeed...

http://avherald.com/h?article=4ac58610&opt=0

P.S. The one comment suggests changing the name of that place from Deadhorse to something else. Possibly Deadcaribou?

We get lots of "Watch out for Moose" warnings here. The worst (to me) are the Moose Crossing signs on the interstate...It's not exactly easy to stop to let one pass!

I hate those animal warning signs. They make me paranoid that some large animal is just waiting to jump out in front of my car. They remind me of a hilarious article I read once that noted signs that tell you a deer is going to jump out in front of you, but doesn't tell you what to do about it.

• Like 1

Drive with your eyes constantly scanning the roadsides, especially where there are thick trees and bends in the road combined. I've avoided several moose hits over the years just because of those habits. If you're watching, you can often earn precious seconds to actually brake in time. Not always, but often enough that I haven't been killed by several moose aiming for my front hood. At least deer are small and won't crush me!

I think this was approximately 3 years ago. One of my cousins was on vacation in Northern Arizona. I think they were up around the Grand Canyon National Park or somewhere close to that.  She hit a Deer.  They spent 4 or 5 unplanned days there, waiting for their car to be repaired, so they could drive back to Texas.

Drive safely!