Menu

What's with the ads?

Pour in

Singapore Math 7, Saxon 8/7, or Jacobs Algebra..

Looking for suggestions for my DD (6th) - math seems to come naturally to her.  I'm wondering what to do for 6th grade - last year she did Singapore 6 and Saxon 7/6.  For this coming year I'm considering jumping her right into Jacobs Algebra w Dr Callahan.  Has anyone else done this without doing Saxon 8/7 or some other pre-algebra course first?    Thanks!  

We went from MUS Zeta to Jacobs Algebra...the first time.  We did the first half of the Jacobs Algebra book.

The after a bit of thrashing around, my son did the first half of Saxon 8/7 and then came back to Jacobs Algebra.  He went through what he had done before in Jacobs (it was the first 6 or so chapters) and then finished the book with no problem (in fact, the got better and better as he went on).

I should mention that he was accelerated from 2nd to 4th grade in math and missed some things.  Saxon 8/7 was a good reset.

My advice would be to jump into Jacobs Algebra but to keep an eye on how things are going and make adjustments as needed.

I have gone from Singapore math to AoPS with all my kids. Went directly to algebra with my oldest and then SM to AoPS prealgebra with my next two.

Thank you EKS for that good advice - I hadn't thought of starting and reevaluating as need be  :thumbup:  and Julie of KY thanks too, that makes me think it is reasonable. 

The first 1/3 of Jacobs is pretty much pre-algebra. So I vote go for it as well.