Menu

Breakfast Smoothies

Elizabeth86

I don't really use any recipes. I use the ratio of 2(ish) cups leafy greens plus 3(ish) cups fruit plus 2(ish) cups liquid and go to town with whatever is in my fridge and freezer. I always start with fruits and veggies on the edge, round out with fruits and veggies from the freezer, and see what happens. Usually it turns out ok, although sometimes the color isn't the prettiest.

For greens, I usually alternate spinach and kale (I buy bulk and freeze) but have been known to throw in some beet or radish greens, baby bok chow, or even some collards.

For liquid, I often use just water, but if it's handy coconut or almond milk, coconut water, or a splash of juice. I have also used green tea.

I always keep halved frozen bananas on hand, because I think 1/2 a banana helps sweetness and consistency. Occasionally I will sub 1/2 frozen avocado. Or both! I also always keep frozen berries on hand; raspberries and blueberries are my favorite. Frozen mango and peaches also show up a lot, and frozen pineapple if I get on a tropical kick.

I usually sneak 1/2 c frozen cauliflower in for a tiny bit of hidden vegetable. Leftover sweet potato, beets, or carrots are good, too.

I usually throw it all in and then decide on a small protein or fat boost: avocado, 2 tbsp nut butter, hemp seeds, chia seeds, coconut or flax oil, 1/2 c cooked white beans or red lentils.

I'm in a rut too, but I'm happy there. I mix up a big batch of equal parts oat and almond flour (I buy almond meal at trader Joe's and just make the oat flour in my blender) and add about a tablespoon of cinnamon to a quart of the flour mix. I put about a cup of milk in the blender, 1/2 cup flour mix, 1/2 cup yogurt, and a banana. It's like a banana bread smoothie. Filling and satisfying.

If I have greens on hand I tend to do greens, berries, yogurt, banana, an orange, and some water.

Never knew you could freeze avocados!

I didn't either! Can someone provide details on how you do it? Do you peel and chop into cubes? Also, are they only good for smoothies after freezing? Or can you make guacamole from them? Do you thaw before using?

My smoothies are usually some chia seeds, coconut milk, and frozen fruit, usually berries and some banana. Sometimes I'll add grass fed whey protein powder or cocoa powder or a little vanilla or almond butter or yogurt. It's kind of whatever I have one hand at any given time :) I'm not big on greens in my smoothies, but I eat a lot of sauteed greens and salads.

I didn't either! Can someone provide details on how you do it? Do you peel and chop into cubes? Also, are they only good for smoothies after freezing? Or can you make guacamole from them? Do you thaw before using?

My smoothies are usually some chia seeds, coconut milk, and frozen fruit, usually berries and some banana. Sometimes I'll add grass fed whey protein powder or cocoa powder or a little vanilla or almond butter or yogurt. It's kind of whatever I have one hand at any given time :) I'm not big on greens in my smoothies, but I eat a lot of sauteed greens and salads.

You can freeze avocados!  

You can also freeze guacamole, which is what I would recommend doing if that's their final destination.  I don't LOVE previously frozen guac, but I think that's more mental than anything.

I halve my avocados and scoop them out of the peel, stick a bunch on a cookie tray to freeze for an hour or so, and then put 'em in a ziplock bag.  DH thinks avocados look and taste like already eaten baby food (and he knows this how....?), but neither he nor the kids notice them in smoothies.

It's great for those times when the avocado goes from just a tad too firm to extra mushy overnight.  Or if someone brings a bucket of avocados to your house <--- I miss California.

My smoothies are not nutritional powerhouses, but they taste good.

One 6 oz container vanilla yogurt

About 9 oz milk (I use the scale because it's right by the blender, so it's easy)

frozen fruit--either a cup of frozen peaches or 6 Costco frozen strawberries, maybe some frozen blueberries thrown in.

Blend it all up in blender.

Divide into 2 or 3 cups depending how many smoothie drinkers we have around.

I get so many smoothies from dd who tries to eyeball the ingredients but ends up making too much about 80% of the time :-). She's constantly finding me and saying "Ummmm . . . do you want a smoothie?" She makes an entire glass too much. It's awesome for me.

Edited to put the other o in "too" because it bugged me.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 3

Following...

DH can't process raw greens well anymore since he had pancreatitis, which means we've had to seriously alter how we eat. We are finally ready to try green smoothies hoping that will be a way to up his ability to eat leafy greens. Our new blender is arriving tomorrow and I'm on the search for healthy, very low sugar (fruit) recipes.

A couple recipes I've recently found that I'm looking forward to trying:

2 c almond milk, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 2 Tbs almond butter, 2 Tbs chia seeds, 2 large handfuls spinach

2 c almond milk, 1 c Kale, 2 Tbs peanut butter, 1 Tbs chia seeds, 1 Tbs flax meal, 1/2 banana

I don't like fruit (too sugary), so I went looking for a smoothie recipe that didn't contain any. 

This is the recipe I'm going to try:

4" chunk cucumber, peeled

4-5 ice cubes

1/4-1/2 avocado

1 T unsweetened almond butter

1 T hemp seeds (don't have these, so will omit)

1/2"-1" chunk fresh ginger root, peeled

1/2-1 tsp ground cinnamon

1 cup spinach or other greens

2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (more if needed)

I always eat eggs for breakfast, but this is my fave smoothie for "second breakfast:"

1 c. Water, or a little more to make smoothie thinner

Spinach or kale

Avacado (I use a whole one, but you could use a half)

Juice of one lime

1 scoop protein and greens powder (I use this one https://www.vitacost.com/garden-of-life-raw-protein-greens-organic-powder-real-raw-vanilla-19-3-oz but Costco sells something similar)

Blend that up and stir in some chia seed. I LOVE this smoothie!

• Like 1

Following...

DH can't process raw greens well anymore since he had pancreatitis, which means we've had to seriously alter how we eat. We are finally ready to try green smoothies hoping that will be a way to up his ability to eat leafy greens. Our new blender is arriving tomorrow and I'm on the search for healthy, very low sugar (fruit) recipes.

A couple recipes I've recently found that I'm looking forward to trying:

2 c almond milk, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 2 Tbs almond butter, 2 Tbs chia seeds, 2 large handfuls spinach

2 c almond milk, 1 c Kale, 2 Tbs peanut butter, 1 Tbs chia seeds, 1 Tbs flax meal, 1/2 banana

I don't have any recipe to share, but this is how I do my greens for smoothies now. 

http://gnowfglins.com/2016/09/02/use-spinach-in-smoothies/

• Like 2

I don't like fruit (too sugary), so I went looking for a smoothie recipe that didn't contain any. 

This is the recipe I'm going to try:

4" chunk cucumber, peeled

4-5 ice cubes

1/4-1/2 avocado

1 T unsweetened almond butter

1 T hemp seeds (don't have these, so will omit)

1/2"-1" chunk fresh ginger root, peeled

1/2-1 tsp ground cinnamon

1 cup spinach or other greens

2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (more if needed)

Avocado is a fruit!

• Like 1

Hmmm, I didn't realize that. How did I not know that???

Because it's one of those fruits that are really a culinary vegetable to most people. We treat it like we do a tomato. Hey, since you don't like your smoothies too sweet, maybe you'll like steamed carrots in yours?

• Like 1

Because it's one of those fruits that are really a culinary vegetable to most people. We treat it like we do a tomato. Hey, since you don't like your smoothies too sweet, maybe you'll like steamed carrots in yours?

Hey, carrots sound pretty good. Thanks for the idea!

We got our new blender and I've already tried a couple green smoothies.

My fave so far is almond milk, avocado, almond butter, chia seeds, and spinach.

I had one last night before my twice a week double whammy workout (hour of spin immediately followed by hour long boot camp)--I drank about 2/3 at 4pm and wasn't even hungry when I got home at 7:30. For me this is totally unheard of. I'm hooked! ðŸ‘

We try to keep fairly low carb/high fat, and this is my go to breakfast smoothie:

(I never measure anything, so I'm guessing here)

8ish Frozen strawberries 

a few frozen blackberries or raspberries (this gives the smoothie a nice zing! It's okay without it, but I like to add a few)

1/2 cup of cottage cheese, I usually get the 4%

a scoop of plain greek yogurt if I have any, but it's fine without it.

a cup of ice

enough unsweetened almond milk for the blender to do it's thing, maybe a cup

truvia or swerve other sweetener - 2-3 packets if I have packets or a spoonful, to taste

I blend all of that together for a while

Then I add a little heavy cream, not too much

If I have spinach, I'll add a handful

So Yummy!  I think it's like a strawberry shake and will make it for myself for dessert occasionally.