Menu

s/o another shoe question - how to find shoes for oddly shaped feet

rose

We've always been thrift store shoe shoppers but this isn't working so well anymore for 14yo dd. Her feet are very wide across the foot from that bump just below the big toe all the way across her foot. Her heels though are average to narrow. Regular shoes leave blisters on bump on the inside of her foot and in wide shoes her heel pops out. In particular we would like average flat day shoes. We wear dresses so something plain that could work with a dress would be best but we're not fussy. The cheaper then better because she'll probably grow out of them in a year and we probably won't be able to hand them down. Once her feet have stopped growing we'll get her a more expensive pair that can last her awhile.

Can you tell I haven't bought new shoes in probably 15 year? I seriously don't know anything about shoe brands or prices. :D

You're going to have a tough time finding shoes that meet your requirements while also being low cost. That being said, they're not really cheap, but you might look at Keens. I have feet very similar to what you describe and I have always had good success with Keens.

I've also got a pair of Clarks Un.loop shoes that are a bit more dressy that fit very well. You can find them here, but look around at different places because Zappo's isn't always the cheapest option. http://www.zappos.com/p/clarks-un-loop-dark-brown-leather/product/7343941/color/328

You might also look at the shoes featured in this guide for ideas. http://comfortableshoeguide.com/womens-shoes-with-a-wide-toe-box-and-narrow-heel/

• Like 1

You can look for wide shoes and the. Put heel pads in the back to make that more narrow.

It might be worth going to a store like DSW, Kohl's, or Shoe Carnival and trying on lots of styles and brands. I would try to buy her a new pair of quality shoes if you can. Often. Used shoes have conformed to the feet of the previous owner.

• Like 2

I need a wide size because of a big bunion on my left foot, but that's the only wide part of my feet. My right foot and the heel of my left foot are average width. I've had good luck with Aasics for athletic shoes, Aerosoles for flats, and Ariat for boots. None of those are cheap, though.   

• Like 2

Ryka. They have a wider front and regular heel, they only make shoes for women. Order from the Ryka website, QVC, and I've even seen them in DSW and Famous Footwear.

$50 order. http://www.ryka.com/en-US/Content/AboutUs.aspx

They are the only sneakers I can wear. They last pretty well. I have no problem buying $0.99 clothes at the thrift store, but I can't go cheap or used with shoes, neither can my girls. LOL most of the time their shoes cost more than their entire outfit combined. (and that's just with $25-$50 shoes, no expensive designers for us)

• Like 2

Is your dd trend conscious? I would take her to DSW and have her try on a ton of shoes. My dd would never wear Any of the comfort brands that I would wear. You'll probably need to look for wife width shoes. Summer might be easier since she can wear a type of flip flop, but cold weather shoes will be difficult.

• Like 1

I have wide in front and narrow in back and crocs & flip flops work for me. It's really hard to find nice shoes. Sometimes men's are better. When I was a teen I had a pair of boys black patent lace ups that I found used which were very comfortable. No good advice for brands, etc. But I feel your pain.  I used to get huge blisters on my heels as a kid as the shoes would flop up and down when I was walking. UGH. Those heel pads never stayed in at all. One idea, I think european shoes are sometimes wider in from and narrower in back, so you might try to see if that would work. It doesn't for me, but her feet may be more "normal" than mine! Also, things without heels, even in winter, like clogs might be good. Or higher lace-up boots, like hiking boots seem to work, but I have to get men's or wide.

I have wide, tall feet. Most shoes squish my toes and cut off circulation across the top. Buying shoes that fit properly is NOT cheap, unfortunately. If I can get a pair of shoes for less than $50 dollars, it's a VERY.GOOD.DEAL. Usually, I pay between $50-$120 ish for a pair and wear them until they are falling apart because I dread the hunt for new ones. I don't mind paying the price - if the shoe fits properly. Feet are literally my foundation of daily life, so I want to take care of them.

I mostly wear mukluks in the winter. Sanuk Sidewalk Surfers, and Yoga Sandals in the summer. I still haven't found decent dress shoes.

You just described my daughter's feet and it is so frustrating. We often will get sketchers extra wide. Wide isn't wide enough or she says they squeeze across the top. New Balance wide has also worked well for us. Another brand called CoCo Jumbo are super cute for girls and fit her fantastic. Crocs work for her to but not all. It is really hard and she often gets frustrated because the narrow cute brands just won't work for her.

ETA: Keens also have worked for her.

Edited by nixpix5

If your daughter is 14 and has had her period for a while, her feet may not be actively growing too much any more if that makes you feel better.  My 13 year old DD has been wearing the same show size for a good year.

I have wide feet too.  :/  I find European brands often work better and are more generous with width.  Cost more but they last forever.

My feet are like that too, plus extra high arches.  I have some flats (MeToo is a favorite brand for comfort, but they don't last long & cost about $30). 

Mostly in the summer I wear Keen sandals, even with dresses.

I also have some leather penny loafers and sperry boat shoes (if you get them wet & wear them until they dry they shrink & stretch to fit your feet well). Neither were particularly inexpensive though.  The good news is they last forever.

In the winter I wear knee high boots.  They are also not inexpensive, though I've found that some of the wide-calf fake leather ones from Payless are more durable than $350 all leather boots.  The heel is loose, but doesn't slip enough to cause trouble because it's snug enough around the calf to not move around as much.