Menu

What would you suggest for bedroom situation?

busymama7

I'm trying to figure out bedrooms here as well and am considering a full or queen size loft over a short twin bunk bed set turned sideways.

We could build lofts but by the time we got a project like that done they'd be moved on anyways 😂. And there is space in the rooms for beds it's just which rooms. Lofts would allow for storage and such which would be really nice though.

The huge desk for computers is mostly a storage area as it is laptops anyways and the printer and no one uses the computers in the room (family rule). I would be happy to remove the desk but my husband is attached to it. It doesn't fit it our room or it would be there already for his work space. The desk used to be in the family room until we were gifted a sectional sofa about a year ago that allows for us all to have seating in there now which is great. The desk was a temporary fix until we could figure out a better space for computers but we haven't done that yet in no small part due to lack of funds. There is a bay window in the kitchen that I want to do a built in space for computers and printer. But that doesn't solve the issue of that ginormous desk 😕 it was his dad's...😉

The desk should stay then, but that doesn't mean the computers and the printer need to stay there.  If they are laptops, they can go anywhere, right? Personally I almost never use a desk when I'm on my laptop (and I don't have a desk/table for work any more).  I've gotten used to using my laptop on my lap.  :)  If the laptops can be stored in a common bookcase or similar, then the only issue is the printer - which may not actually be an issue if it isn't used a lot.

Could you move the computers to a different part of the house? Set up a desk/bank table somewhere in the main part of the house?

How big is the den? If the computers are gone, could it fit the two teen boys and their stuff?

Then maybe I'd make a 'adult children parking space room' with your sewing stuff and two curtained off loft beds for whoever needs it.

Leave the others as they are.

We had a large desk that dh received from his grandma. It wasn't practical for any actual use and really just felt like a burden, but it was a very nice piece of furniture. I asked dh to saw off the legs to turn it into a coffee table. It's still beautiful, and now it blesses us every day rather than being a burden.

• Like 2

My husband has a sister here. I'm considering that. She has a casita but the air conditioning is broken so it probably couldn't happen until October

Why don't you or your dd pay to have the a/c fixed? Wouldn't this be easier than cramming more adults into your full house?

• Like 1

I originally said to put the three youngest in a room, but now i'm liking the idea of putting the two oldest in the den together. They obviously could change elsewhere, in the bathroom or a siblings room. But sleep there, which would mean they wouldn't disturb anyone when they get up early. 

About your sewing stuff - how big is your closet? If it is a walk in, could you make it (or part of it) into a mini sewing room? We recently moved to a new home, and half of my closet is clothes, and half is sewing area. I did downsize greatly in clothing before the move, and fabric storage is elsewhere. But if your closet is big, it might help ease the crunch some.

We could build lofts but by the time we got a project like that done they'd be moved on anyways 😂. And there is space in the rooms for beds it's just which rooms. Lofts would allow for storage and such which would be really nice though.

How about putting the young adults in charge of building lofts? A couple of energetic young people could do the project in one afternoon with the help of YouTube videos.

• Like 1

Sewing machine goes in the den or the master. Den remains as a computer room not bedroom to avoid blue light and sleep issues. You keep the master.

Then you have 3 rooms fitting 4,3,2

You could either do 1 room for all girls, one for boys under 9 and one for older boys or all under 10s together, 1 for older boys and 1 for older girls. Only hesitation with that is the large gap between 12 and 19 but it sounds like it's very temporary so should be ok.

If oldest boy doesn't like sharing with the pcs he needs to share with his brothers.

Btdt (not with nine), options we've used:

Cutting family room in half to add a wall for a bedroom

Finishing the garage using cost cutting strategies, dh saved even more by doing the work himself

Options we're considering:

Buying a used travel trailer to park in the driveway, to resell when done. Long driveway, 1/2 acre lot, no HOA. If this happens, college boy is buying it himself.

Do the kids have a preference? Boys only and girls only, or split more by age groups?

Some of them are old enough that you may have a bit of a revolving door for next several years.

I think you need to make over the den with a 5 year plan in mind. Will it be a bedroom, an office, a sewing room, or a combination?

Does Dh plan to use the desk at some point? Would it work for Dh to set up his work space in the den, using the beloved ginormous desk? If not, can it be disassembled? We have a huge desk that was a handmade gift to my dh from his brother, but the sides are removable, and it can be stored flat when needed.

I am curious to hear how your family meeting went! Did the kids themselves have some creative suggestions?

Nope everyone was just as lost as we are. It ended up getting cut short and then we realized that the 19 year old daughter going back in the fall is not completely out of the question after talking to her so we are tabling it for now. She will continue to just sleep wherever. This week it will be a couch as she starts work at 6 am and none of us want the 3 year old woken that early! 😬

• Like 2

Do the kids have a preference? Boys only and girls only, or split more by age groups?

Some of them are old enough that you may have a bit of a revolving door for next several years.

I think you need to make over the den with a 5 year plan in mind. Will it be a bedroom, an office, a sewing room, or a combination?

Does Dh plan to use the desk at some point? Would it work for Dh to set up his work space in the den, using the beloved ginormous desk? If not, can it be disassembled? We have a huge desk that was a handmade gift to my dh from his brother, but the sides are removable, and it can be stored flat when needed.

The den currently doubles as a guest room and did even when the oldest girl was at home. She had to go to the couch when anyone stayed over. It has to stay that way as my parents come several times a year and it is the only downstairs space. Going up the stairs is not ideal for them.

I really don't want the desk in there with computers as we just don't use computers in rooms with doors. All computer use is common areas. We stuck the desk there while we figured out what to do with it. I do think long term it will be a guest/sewing room. If I could come up with a spot for the desk and/or computers then we would do that now. Then any adult home between terms or working would have that room.

My husband can't use it as his work space as its location is not quiet enough. I am considering talking him into bringing it into our room to replace the small one he has there but it would reall crowd our room. Honestly in this day and age of laptops it really makes almost no sense to have a desk this size. I LOVE the idea of cutting the legs and using it as a coffee table in the living room that someone gave up thread but I doubt he would and I think the back is unfinished.

Why don't you or your dd pay to have the a/c fixed? Wouldn't this be easier than cramming more adults into your full house?

Yes probably but we all want to be together. We know it's temporary and after having the oldest gone for 2 straight years we are loving connecting again. He will be gone again soon enough as well as the next 2 so we all feel it's better to just make it work for now and enjoy these few months. :)

• Like 2

Your oldest ds may need to be reminded that this is a busy household with SOOO many members. If he needs quiet, he will have to do what everyone else does: Go for a walk around the block, go the library, go to a coffee shop.

My oldest hasn't lived away but sometimes the busy loudness gets to her. She ends up leaving early for appointments and sitting in the car for a bit or staying late after something to get a cup of coffee.