Menu

Question for Lori D. about threads organized by topic

I'm always so impressed with (and grateful for) Lori D.'s posts because she provides organized links to previous threads with lots of pertinent information about the topic.  I'm wondering if she might be willing to provide her master list of organized threads by topic?!   For those of you who aren't familiar with her posts, I copied and pasted one below that was in a thread about writing and literature.  Incredible!!   :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:   I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say thank you so much for all your help on the WTM forums!!

Definition / benefits of a Great Books study:
SWB's explanation of what a Great Books study is
What are the benefits of doing a Great Books study as opposed to traditional route?
What do you think: is the reading of fictional Great Books important?

Preparation for a Great Books study:
Preparing our DC to read the Great Books?
Which 20 books help prepare for reading the Great Books
Which would be best for preparation of reading the Great Books
How do I choose Great Books when I haven't read most of them?

Transitioning into a Great Books study:
Where do you start with a high school boy who has never read classic lit?
Moving away from a boxed curriculum and toward TWTM approach for lit. and history (how do you transition)

TOG vs. doing it ourselves ala WTM

How do you actually DO it:

Doing literature with my 9th grader
Great Books question (how do you do it)

Questions about how you do literature with your homeschoolers (do you read together or solo)
Please Share How You Do History ala WTM "Great Books"
Does Anyone Do History and/or Literature WTM or WEM Way?

Doing WTM with a high school student who isn't ready for Rhetoric Level
I Don't Think We Are Cut Out To For The "Great Books"
Tell Me I Can Really Do WTM At Home For High School

How do you find the time to pre-read lit. books (so you can discuss)

Making your own Literature study:
If you create your own high school lit.

Just reading vs. using literature guides

Literary spoof, satire, sarcasm, anyone? (making a study on parody/satire)

Have you ever done an "author's study"?

Fairy Tale unit for high school

Need ideas... classics: Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, etc.)

Can I feel dumb here and ask about Victorian era, Pride & Prejudice and British Lit? (19th Century Female Authors study)

Anybody know of a fantasy & science fiction course? (fantasy and sci-fi)

Science Fiction, and, Science Fiction Unit (sci-fi)

High Literature which is encouraging (inspiring classics)

Threads that are examples of a Great Book discussion in action:
Sir Gawain And The Green Knight -- Need Help Please
Jane Eyre and boys

What's Up with Wuthering Heights

Balance -- Great Books, but not going overboard:
Life beyond the Great Books? Heresy?

Resources:
Great Books study -- what resources are you using?
Need a Literature Guide for any book
So what is a good program for teaching lit. analysis
What Do You Use To Learn About The Worldview Expressed In A Particular Book

- SWB's hand-out on "What is Literary Analysis? And When to Teach It"

- SWB's audio lecture download that further fleshes out this topic

- Andrew Kern on "Teaching Literature Without Killing the Book or the Student" (scroll down, 3/4 down to free lectures from 2012)

- David Kern & Brian Phillips podcast discuss:  "On Teaching Literature Without Killing It".

How to credit it on a transcript:
How to show Great Books on a transcript
Great Books on transcript
Great Books and high school credits

• Like 7
On 7/29/2017 at 6:42 AM, creekmom said:

I'm always so impressed with (and grateful for) Lori D.'s posts because she provides organized links to previous threads with lots of pertinent information about the topic.... I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say thank you so much for all your help on the WTM forums!!

Oh my, you are too kind! 

On 7/29/2017 at 6:42 AM, creekmom said:

...I'm wondering if she might be willing to provide her master list of organized threads by topic?! ...

:blushing: I'm afraid you're attributing a much higher degree of organization to me than what I really have. I don't have any files of master lists. My responses are "one-offs" -- I just pull together things to answer the poster's question, and then if a similar question arises in a later thread, I just copy-paste from previous posts, and add in suggestions from other posters from other threads. ?

The only saved "master list" I have is not in my files but pinned at the top of the high school board:

- High School Motherlode #1 -- "doing" high school topics
post #1 = getting started, books & resources, making a high school plan, scheduling, outsourcing, tutors, online classes, dual enrollment
post #2 = pros & cons and info about tests: AP, PSAT, SAT, ACT, SAT Subject, CLEP, GED

- High School Motherlode #2
post #1 = planning/scheduling, transcripts, course descriptions, record keeping, diplomas, accreditation
post #5 = college prep, looking for/choosing a college, applying for college/college admissions, NCAA, financial aid, scholarships, first time at college, study abroad, alternatives to 4-year college, career exploration

There are some super master lists pinned at the top of for high school board:
- Science: Biology, Chemistry, Physics -- put together by Dicentra   :hurray:
- Math -- put together by Quark   :hurray:
- The Great Courses Master Class List, collection of reviews of Teaching Company courses -- put together by swimmermom3  :hurray:

And then, none are pinned, but lewelma  :hurray: has a number of great threads that are "master lists" or very detailed posts on topics of high interest:

Science
- Scientific Inquiry -- through a series of updates, lewelma demonstrates how they "do" science
Science again -- someone shoot me now -- lewelma has multiple responses about how they "do" science
- Help me assemble a complete list of science curricula books for elementary/logic -- a "master list" of suggestions throughout the thread by many posters

Writing
- Writing: My evaluation of numerous writing curricula -- master list of elementary/logic writing programs
- Here is how I am teaching the material in WWS1-3; what are you doing? -- discussion from multiple posters on how to "do" WWS

As does Chrysalis Academy  :hurray:-- she posts questions that bring out great in-depth responses
- Bringing Karen's Mention of essay writing to a new thread -- posts #33-34: 8FillTheHeart  :hurray:describes how she teaches writing
- How do you design high school for the child you've got?
- 8th Grade Goals: What skills do your kids need to practice before high school?
- Pressing through the middle years of homeschooling: how do you do it?

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

@creekmom you are so right about Lori D.   Probably a couple of months ago, there was a thread about Scholarships and University Admissions and Lori D. had such insightful comments and links and I haven't bookmarked web pages in my web browser for years.  Now that my DD is starting 11th grade courses and university is getting closer, I need to try to find threads where she has commented on things like that.

KUDOS LORI D, for the precious time you take, to be so incredibly helpful to those of us on WTM!  MUCH APPRECIATED!  Thank you!

• Like 6
On 7/29/2017 at 2:51 PM, Lanny said:

...Now that my DD is starting 11th grade courses and university is getting closer, I need to find threads...

So glad something helped! And for your college search, college admissions, and financial aid research, be on the look-out for posts by other experienced parents-of-college students/grads: @8FillTheHeart , @JanetC , @G5052 , Momto2Ns [can't link! 😞 ], @Barbara H , @Corraleno , @creekland , @Hoggirl , @regentrude , and others!

And don't forget to check out Barbara H's Homeschool Success website, with loads of great articles on going from homeschool to college! 🙂

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2
  • 2 years later...

The links to many of Creekmom's great list are broken. Below I have reposted with fixed links, and where I couldn't find the thread with a broken link, I have added a different thread to substitute. Thank you @creekmom for "bumping" that list of old threads! :D

Definition / benefits of a Great Books study:
- What are the benefits of doing a Great Books study as opposed to traditional route?
- What do you think? Is the reading of fictional Great Books important?
SWB's explanation of what a Great Books study is

substitutions:
link to SWB's handout "The Great Books: History as Literature"
 link to SWB's audio lecture "Great Books: History as Literature"

ADDITIONS:
Great Conversations/Omnibus type classes -- why do you pick them -- discussion went into "what is a Great Books study"
Thoughts on Great Books curriculum (e.g. Angelicum/GBA)? -- -- discussion went into thoughts about the value of a Great Books study
Let's get messy - s/o Ester Marie, Neoclassical/Classical rigor and other educational thoughts
What do you feel are the essential elements of a classical education?
How does one provide a classical education -- Circe Institute lovers?

Preparation for a Great Books study:
- Preparing our DC to read the Great Books?
- Which 20 books help prepare for reading the Great Books
- Which would be best for preparation of reading the Great Books
- How do I choose Great Books when I haven't read most of them?

ADDITIONS:
Beginning classic books
Favorite 20th century short stories??
Figuratively Speaking paired with short stories

ADDING: World Literature ideas
World History and corresponding Lit.
Help, I need contemporary World Lit. ideas
World Lit textbook?

World Literature
World Literature course?
Help! I need a World Literature anthology, high school level

Must reads for World Lit
Classic books and diversity
Non-western Great Books?

Transitioning into a Great Books study:
- Where do you start with a high school boy who has never read classic lit?
- Moving away from a boxed curriculum and toward TWTM approach for lit. and history -- how do you transition
- TOG vs. doing it ourselves ala WTM

ADDITIONS:
Getting a teen to read/understand thicker books
s/o how to work through progressively more challenging works

How do you actually DO it:
- Doing literature with my 9th grader
Great Books Question -- what is the best way to start
- Questions about how you do literature with your homeschoolers -- do you read together or solo
- Please share how you do history ala WTM "Great Books"
- Does anyone do history and/or literature ala WTM or WEM?
- Doing TWTM with a high school student who isn't ready for Rhetoric level
- I don't think we are cut out for the Great Books
- Tell me I can really do WTM at home for high school
- How do you find the time to pre-read lit. books -- so you can discuss

ADDITIONS:
When to start literature more formally?
What kind of questions do you ask your kids when reading?
Ways to teach literature -- for middle school students
Literature for a kid who hates to read, or, Literature isn't that important anyway, is it? -- for middle school
How do you "do" literature? And balance/schedule writing assignments?

ADDING RELATED TOPIC: Literary Analysis
Why is literary analysis important?
How much literary analysis do you actually do?
Help with literary criticism essay
Reading Books without doing papers/critiques -- can we just read/talk about books?
Why Teach Literature?

Making your own Literature study:
- If you create your own high school lit...
- Just reading vs. using literature guides
- Literary spoof, satire, sarcasm anyone? -- making a study on parody/satire
- Have you ever done an "author's study"? -- unit or course based on one (or several) author(s) and works
- Fairy tale unit for high school
- Need ideas... classics: Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, etc. -- for creating a fairy tale study
- Can I feel dumb here and ask about Victorian era, Pride & Prejudice and British Lit? -- for creating 19th century female authors study
- Anybody know of a fantasy & science fiction course? 
- Science Fiction, and, Science Fiction -- for creating own sci-fi course
- High literature which is encouraging -- inspiring classics

Creating an English course based on Fantasy literature
Sci-fi -- classically?
Roots of Steampunk Literature -- creating a lit. study of classics/authors that the steampunk genre draws on
Great Utopian and Dystopian Works of Literature by the Great Courses +  list of Sci-Fi titles +  list of Dystopian Lit. = sci-fi/dystopian lit. study
Dystopian society or sci-fi literature study for middle school?

Threads that are examples of a Great Book discussion in action:
- Sir Gawain and the Green Knight -- need help please
- Jane Eyre and boys
- What's up with Wuthering Heights?

Balance -- Great Books, but not going overboard:
- Life beyond the Great Books? Heresy?

Resources:
- Great Books study -- what resources are you using?
- Need a literature guide for any book
- So what is a good program for teaching lit. analysis?
- What do you use to learn about the worldview being expressed in a particular book?

- SWB's hand-out on "What is Literary Analysis? And When to Teach it?"
- SWB's audio lecture/download of "What is Literary Analysis? And When to Teach it?
- David Kern & Brian Phillips, podcast discussion: "On Teaching Literature Without Killing It"
- Andrew Kern on "Teaching Literature Without Killing the Book or the Student" 

How to credit it on a transcript:
- How to show Great Books on a transcript
- Great Books on transcript
- Great Books and high school credits

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 3
6 minutes ago, annegables said:

Well, there goes my weekend.🤣 Thanks, @Lori D. How did you get threads with working links from 2008??? You are a WTM ninja!

You are most welcome! 😄

How? It was ONLY because I found a 2016 thread in which I had posted that exact list, and at the time I posted it in 2016, I had discovered that you can't just copy-paste old thread links. You have to click on the link, open up that thread, copy the URL, then go to the new thread where you want to link, and attach the URL via the link icon. For old threads (like 2014 and older), if the link is a copy of a link, it breaks the link, and when you click on it, you are taken back to the first post in the same thread you are in, rather than being taken to the older linked thread. Massive pain in the patootie to fix. 😩

Edited by Lori D.

I have always wondered why some links take me back to the thread I am in. There are so many old thread titles that look so alluring as links in other threads. I click on them, so hopeful, and get sent right back from whence I came. 

So were the 2008 threads linkable/searchable before the big changeover in 2018?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, annegables said:

I have always wondered why some links take me back to the thread I am in. There are so many old thread titles that look so alluring as links in other threads. I click on them, so hopeful, and get sent right back from whence I came. 

So were the 2008 threads linkable/searchable before the big changeover in 2018?

I know, it's so frustrating. That's why in the big pinned Motherlode threads at the top of the High School board, I also included the date and poster's name, so if the links break in the future, hopefully people can search the poster's thread history and quickly narrow down by the date... That is, as long as we don't get a more recent cut-off whenever the boards change again in the future... 😩

Not sure when the 2008 threads stopped being searchable, but at least 5 years back, I was finding that unless it was the initial link to the past post, if I copied the link, it just brought me back to the new thread I was trying to add the past link to... However, it looks like if you go to the bottom of the board and click on the little arrow that takes you to the last page of threads, and then move forward through the pages until you hit a January 2008 date, you can access the oldest threads from this edition of the boards.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

I know, it's so frustrating. That's why in the big pinned Motherlode threads at the top of the High School board, I also included the date and poster's name, so if the links break in the future, hopefully people can search the poster's thread history and quickly narrow down by the date... That is, as long as we don't get a more recent cut-off whenever the boards change again in the future... 😩

Not sure when the 2008 threads stopped being searchable, but at least 5 years back, I was finding that unless it was the initial link to the past post, if I copied the link, it just brought me back to the new thread I was trying to add the past link to... However, it looks like if you go to the bottom of the board and click on the little arrow that takes you to the last page of threads, and then move forward through the pages until you hit a January 2008 date, you can access the oldest threads from this edition of the boards.

Re the bolded...I need a dumbfounded blinking emoji.  Plus a sheepish emoji that this had not occurred to me. Thanks for your foresight!

• Like 2
5 hours ago, annegables said:

... this had not occurred to me. Thanks for your foresight!

Thank you for your kind words, @annegables -- so sweet of you! 😊

I wish I could be credited with foresight 😉 ... but no, that idea comes from the painful lesson of having to go through and RE-LINK every single thread in those Motherlode threads, because a few years after I created those 2 threads and they were pinned, these boards went through a massive upgrade (some time in 2015-ish?), and that's what broke so many older links. I had a tough time re-finding some of those Motherlode threads, and I realized if only I had originally put the poster's name and the posting date, I could search via the poster's old threads... That helps somewhat now, but even that is not perfect, as people change their board names 🥴 -- making that "bright idea" (lol) useless... 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1