Menu

Does anybody use Living Math's 1st Cycle concurrently with SOTW 1?

sagira

I'm intrigued by the possibility of putting an emphasis on math as well as reading in the early years, and combining it with history as Living Math does. Next year I'll be very busy with first year for ds, so do you think this would be overkill for a six-year-old?

Math spine:

MCP Mathematics Level A Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays

Supplemental programs:

Miquon Orange Book Tuesdays and Thursdays

(Tentatively) Living Math Curriculum Cycle 1 I don't know when? Maybe fold it into history studies

Drill:

Calculadder Monday-Friday (takes five minutes tops)

Now I'm using SOTW 1 with the activity book 4 times a week. I could always dedicate one of those days to Living Math. What do you think?

Does anybody use Living Math and SOTW 1 together?

Too much math? :confused:

I have been using cycle 2? I think for the end of SOTW 1 that will take us into SOTW 2. I use it as a suppliment to our math studies once a week or so. I pick and choose what my ds6 would understand at this age. For example we are currently studing about the Romans. I picked a Roman Numeral book from the livingmath.net curriculum. I read the book which had some exercises in the back of the book that we worked on. I also found a Roman Numeral game that I printed off and we played as reinforcement.

I take a very easy approach and fold it into what ever we are studying in history. My ds loves history and it is easy to fold it into our history studies. Since it is for multiple levels, I will use it again the next history cycle as well.

HTH

I'm trying to decide if I should use it in addition to Singapore and RightStart or if I should use it instead of RightStart. I wonder if I will have to just buy the plans to really see how it will work and how I want to use it.

I'm tinkering with 3 weeks of standard stuff(SOTW reading, nature reading, math) and 1 week of projects(history, science, art, and math??)

OR

Doing Fridays as project day.

So, I'm not sure if the Living math would fit in as a "project" or if it would fit in with our literature reading or if it has elements of both?

Mostly, I'm just here to :lurk5:.

I have been using cycle 2? I think for the end of SOTW 1 that will take us into SOTW 2. I use it as a suppliment to our math studies once a week or so. I pick and choose what my ds6 would understand at this age. For example we are currently studing about the Romans. I picked a Roman Numeral book from the livingmath.net curriculum. I read the book which had some exercises in the back of the book that we worked on. I also found a Roman Numeral game that I printed off and we played as reinforcement.

I take a very easy approach and fold it into what ever we are studying in history. My ds loves history and it is easy to fold it into our history studies. Since it is for multiple levels, I will use it again the next history cycle as well. HTH

Thank you, this is most likely what I'm going to end up doing. It looks like an exciting, interesting way to weave math into our everyday life.

I forgot to mention that there are no lesson plans. She gives you a lot of info, and you decided how you want to group or present it together. It took me awhile to get use to the format. I do like that she gives the parent/teacher info to help teach concepts to the kids.