Menu

Khan Academy AP Chemistry: Any experiences, good, bad or eh?

Following because I also have one who is taking AP chemistry next year, and I've never taught it before, so may need some bolstering . . .

RegGuheert, do I remember you having an AP chem syllabus that you are willing to share?  I think I might have messaged you awhile back and never heard anything.  I would love it, if you do!

• Like 1

RegGuheert, do I remember you having an AP chem syllabus that you are willing to share?  I think I might have messaged you awhile back and never heard anything.  I would love it, if you do!

I sent it to you on Cinco de Mayo of this year.  I even included a tl;dr message along with it! :)

My kids really dread Sal Khan's voice. There is only the 2015 FRQ videos up on the Khan website though so we'll probably go the paper and pencil route to prepare for the ap chemistry exam FRQ section if my older kid decide to go for it. I am reading the Chang textbook while my kids are at cybercamp this week. Maybe I'll try out Khan tomorrow while they are at camp.

I can't speak to Khan, but we found the videos on Dr. Tang's site to be quite helpful.

My kids like Dr Gordon Yee (Thinkwell) videos and the videos on Dr Tang's site a lot more than anything by Sal Khan.
  • Like 2

In glancing at the list of topics, they are keyed to the (relatively) new syllabus so that's good.  I'm running out the door so I don't have time to watch any of the videos right now but hopefully I can watch a few later this evening and can give you some feedback, if you like. :)

• Like 1

I can't speak to Khan, but we found the videos on Dr. Tang's site to be quite helpful.

Thanks!  I'll have a look at those.  Since we're sharing other AP Chemistry video sites, I'll say that we used the Bozeman Science AP Chemistry Videos with some success last year.  So much so that I have added them to this year's syllabus.

My kids really dread Sal Khan's voice. There is only the 2015 FRQ videos up on the Khan website though so we'll probably go the paper and pencil route to prepare for the ap chemistry exam FRQ section if my older kid decide to go for it. I am reading the Chang textbook while my kids are at cybercamp this week. Maybe I'll try out Khan tomorrow while they are at camp.

My kids like Dr Gordon Yee (Thinkwell) videos and the videos on Dr Tang's site a lot more than anything by Sal Khan.

His voice?  I've never notice it to be that grating.  I'll have to try again.   :D 

Well, we may have a look at those when we get to the 2015 FRQs to see if he offers some insights that we do not see.  Thanks for the critique!

We have only tried the first section/unit/chapter Atoms, Compounds and Ions as well as watch the video for the 2015 FRQ 1A. For the unit, I do find the quiz questions insufficient if I am using Khan as a revision tool. I think there were 1 to 3 questions for each sub-section which ends up having a total of 6 Try It questions for the first section. There were some concept check questions scattered. It could work for your children but it won't work for my younger son who needs lots more drill and kill for problem solving tasks to become automated to boost up his exam speed even for science.

ETA:

The community college guest wifi network was malfunctioning so I couldn't try the videos while my kids were at camp. My kids and I just did those sections at home.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

Apparently Khan is now in the AP prep "business" as well.

Quoted from a generic email sent to people with Khan academy accounts

"I’m excited to announce that Khan Academy is now the official practice partner for AP!

Our free AP videos, articles, and practice exercises are designed to build the knowledge and skills needed for AP-level courses. Teachers can use them as part of their class, and students can use them anytime for extra help. Check them out:

AP Calculus AB and AP Calculus BC

AP Statistics

AP US History

AP World History

AP Art History

AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2

AP Chemistry

AP Biology

AP Macroeconomics and AP Microeconomics

Our team is also working to add practice exercises to every AP course and will be making them available as soon as they’re ready. (Our AP Calculus courses already have exercises.)"

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

RegGuheert, I don't know if you can get a teachers account but below quoted might interest you

"The College Board, which adminsters the Advanced Placement program, and Khan Academy, an online nonprofit offering resources and videos, are teaming up to create a supply of free test-preparation and course materials for teachers and students in every AP subject, the groups announced today.

The new teacher supports will roll out in the 2019-20 school year, the groups announced at the annual AP conference here. Using an online dashboard, teachers will be able to create customized quizzes, homework, classroom activities, and AP practice using the new materials, as well as access unit guides for the major topics in AP subjects and related unit tests. They can assign instructional videos and practice questions from the Khan Academy to their students, and they'll also have access to previously administered AP exam questions and prompts. " http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/high_school_and_beyond/2017/07/College_Board_Khan_free_AP_resources.html

• Like 3

I just noticed that Khan Academy now has a subject called "AP Chemistry". Since we are about to start that course again with the twins, I am wondering if it is helpful in the following ways: As part of the course? As drill for the AP Chemistry exam? In other ways?

TIA for any and all feedback on this tool!

Sorry about the delay in coming back!  I had a follow-up surgery appointment last Friday in a city about 4 hours from where we live and then it was sunny this weekend so we were getting in some of the hay for the horses.  It's raining today so I can be on my laptop. :)

I took a quick look at a few of the Khan Academy AP Chem videos and they look good, from what I saw.  Hopefully, they can add to it as they continue developing so that there are more practice questions explained than just the 2015 FRQ.

Has Dr. Tang updated his AP course to match the new syllabus?  The last course outline he has linked is for 2014 and it looks like he hasn't updated his webpage since 2015.  AP Chem was redone in 2014 and I noticed Dr. Tang still has equation writing as part of his AP course.  That was completely done away with as of the new revision.  His resources for reg and honours chem are still great, though. :)

We have only tried the first section/unit/chapter Atoms, Compounds and Ions as well as watch the video for the 2015 FRQ 1A. For the unit, I do find the quiz questions insufficient if I am using Khan as a revision tool. I think there were 1 to 3 questions for each sub-section which ends up having a total of 6 Try It questions for the first section. There were some concept check questions scattered. It could work for your children but it won't work for my younger son who needs lots more drill and kill for problem solving tasks to become automated to boost up his exam speed even for science.

ETA:

The community college guest wifi network was malfunctioning so I couldn't try the videos while my kids were at camp. My kids and I just did those sections at home.

RegGuheert, I don't know if you can get a teachers account but below quoted might interest you

"The College Board, which adminsters the Advanced Placement program, and Khan Academy, an online nonprofit offering resources and videos, are teaming up to create a supply of free test-preparation and course materials for teachers and students in every AP subject, the groups announced today.

The new teacher supports will roll out in the 2019-20 school year, the groups announced at the annual AP conference here. Using an online dashboard, teachers will be able to create customized quizzes, homework, classroom activities, and AP practice using the new materials, as well as access unit guides for the major topics in AP subjects and related unit tests. They can assign instructional videos and practice questions from the Khan Academy to their students, and they'll also have access to previously administered AP exam questions and prompts. " http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/high_school_and_beyond/2017/07/College_Board_Khan_free_AP_resources.html

I hope that Khan Academy continues to develop and add to the courses - they are a bit bare in places.

• Like 2