Menu

Do you have a blind and deaf dog?

stephanier.1765

Our little dog is 14 and is now both blind and deaf. She also has a cough that is irritated by any pressure on her throat or chest so guiding her by her collar or even a leash is out. Presently I am bending over and placing my hand gently on her back to guide her where I need her to go. She's familiar enough with the house that if she understands I need her to go out, then she can get there on her own but the problem is getting her to understand what I need her to do. If you have a blind dog, what are you doing? I'll keep bending over (she isn't any bigger than a cat) if that's my only option but I'm hoping for something easier on my back. Occasionally I will pick her up but then I'm taking the accidental chance of putting too much pressure on her chest causing a coughing fit. Poor little dog.

When we had an 18yr old cat that was blind, I just let him go where he wanted. Once he started getting lost in the bookcase and under the bed, I used a baby play yard (one of those lathe 8 sided things) to create a controlled space for him including a litter box and his food and water. we we're both much better off when he had a controlled safe place to be.

• Like 3

Just googled out of curiosity and found this. I know it probably wouldn't work for your dog, though. Just thought you'd like to see it. I didn't know they made these.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=35588&cmpid=01cseYY&ref=6191&subref=AA&cmpid=PLA_G_6191&gclid=CjwKCAjw2NvLBRAjEiwAF98GMTG2h6V85SHBccuivm9Aa3iCEjNUyoW4RoaS_EEwqFboaqIHjbqUsxoC_dcQAvD_BwE

That is amazing! Expensive but amazing. I'm going to talk it over with dh but I think this is a must have for her because she's bumping into things more and more often. Wow, thanks!

I had a toy poodle that lived to be 19.  He went blind and deaf.  We just let him go where he wanted most of the time.  He was very familiar with our house and he did surprisingly well.  I would pick him up to put him outside to do his business and sometimes I would have to go get him to bring him inside.  He was often waiting by the door.  It worked for him because he wasn't very active by the time he went blind.  He slept a lot and spend a lot of time in my lap.  Good luck finding a solution for your baby.  It is hard to see them grow old.

Suzanne

• Like 1