Menu

Remedies for nausea from pain meds

Scarlett

Any ideas?  My poor husband is already taking Zofran and some sort of gel on his wrists to try and stop it.  He is just miserable.  He tries to cut the pain med down, but then the pain makes him sick too.

Any natural remedies...food?  Something that would help?

I'm so sorry.  My DH had this problem and he decided on the pain rather than the pills.  I am eternally grateful that I don't react that way to pain meds.  

DD that gets nauseous all the time from gluten intolerance uses eucalyptus oil on a cotton ball to smell.  Worth a try maybe!

Note: eucalyptus seems much stronger than peppermint.

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 2

I was going to recommend peppermint essential oil (diluted with carrier oil) on his pulse points (wrists, sides of neck)

but if it's that bad I might recommend goldberry's suggestion of eucalyptus instead (again, diluted). Along with placing on pulse points,

he can also rub the (diluted) peppermint over his abdomen. That really seems to help some people. You can also diffuse it, as well.

Hope he finds something that works!

See it his doctor can switch him to Phenergan (promethazine, same thing). It's what I have for chronic nausea (Zofran does zilch). Knocks me out and I don't feel safe to drive for at least 20 hours afterward, but he isn't driving anyway right now. What meds is he on for pain? Is he on stool softeners along with narcotic meds?

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 2

If he's on narcotics and those are making him sick, I would ask if he could be switched to NSAIDs (like Toradol).

Narcotics always make me throw up and feel nauseated. NSAIDs do not.  So if I'm having pain or going in for surgery I talk to the doctor about this.

Also, zofran does nothing for any kind of nausea I have, but phenergan works wonders, although it also makes me sleep like the dead.  But usually when I'm desperate enough to take it or recovering from surgery or kidney stones the sleeping doesn't matter.

Either he is not taking enough zofran, or he is one of those folks for whom zofran does zilch.

My last two surgeries, I was given a scopolamine patch for post-anesthesia nausea, and it really helped, but I don't know if it is indicated for anything other than post-anesthesia.

I think in this case, you should call the doctor and ask what they recommend he takes. Phenergan might be too sedating with the pain meds he is taking.

They might even be able to switch his opiate pain meds to another brand or formulation, which helps some people. For example, tramodol (synthetic opiod) makes me vomit, but I can take a half of a Percocet with no nausea.

Edited by trulycrabby

Either he is not taking enough zofran, or he is one of those folks for whom zofran does zilch.

My last two surgeries, I was given a scopolamine patch for post-anesthesia nausea, and it really helped, but I don't know if it is indicated for anything other than post-anesthesia.

I think in this case, you should call the doctor and ask what they recommend he takes. Phenergan might be too sedating with the pain meds he is taking.

They might even be able to switch his opiate pain meds to another brand or formulation, which helps some people. For example, tramodol (synthetic opiod) makes me vomit, but I can take a half of a Percocet with no nausea.

He normally takes Tramodol for his back pain and it doesn't make him sick...so I suggested today that he switch over to tramodol only and maybe it will be strong enough for his pain.  He has in his mind that he is nauseous from the pain....but I think it is the percocet.  He doesn't want me to call the doctor....but I may stop and get him some ginger and see if that will help.

He normally takes Tramodol for his back pain and it doesn't make him sick...so I suggested today that he switch over to tramodol only and maybe it will be strong enough for his pain.  He has in his mind that he is nauseous from the pain....but I think it is the percocet.  He doesn't want me to call the doctor....but I may stop and get him some ginger and see if that will help.

Oh my goodness, percocet makes me feel like I'm on the high seas...which I found out after having wisdom teeth removed.  It was as awesome as it sounds.

I switched to 800mg Motrin and had no issues after that.

Percocet can cause severe constipation, which can cause nausea. How many days out from the surgery is he? It can't hurt to call the doctor to rule out anything else and to ask for options. Sometimes it's a reaction from the surgery and anesthesia, but maybe phenergan or another pain med would make him more comfortable.

• Like 1

Oh my goodness, percocet makes me feel like I'm on the high seas...which I found out after having wisdom teeth removed.  It was as awesome as it sounds.

I switched to 800mg Motrin and had no issues after that.

A total knee replacement is a major surgery...but it has been a full week since surgery so it seems like the pain should be subsiding some.  His check up is next Wednesday.

Percocet can cause severe constipation, which can cause nausea. How many days out from the surgery is he? It can't hurt to call the doctor to rule out anything else and to ask for options. Sometimes it's a reaction from the surgery and anesthesia, but maybe phenergan or another pain med would make him more comfortable.

Ah, constipation. Yes, I just asked and this is still a problem. I had made sure to give him stuff to help for the first 4 or 5 days but I thought he was last that. I just asked and he says no, he is not regular.

Surgery was a week yesterday.

I went to the store wanting to buy some ginger root to make some tea....my mom has made this before to help with hot flashes.....anyway, of course our small town had no ginger root. I didn't look for the pills because he has such trouble getting down the pills he already has to take....but I bought him some ginger ale and he had some last night and that seemed to help. I think he slept all night....I told him my opinion is he has to get off the Percocet.......he is down to one pill every 4-5 hours for about the last 36 hours so that should help.

Oh and I gave him constipation meds last night......

Thanks for all the ideas.

• Like 1

He normally takes Tramodol for his back pain and it doesn't make him sick...so I suggested today that he switch over to tramodol only and maybe it will be strong enough for his pain. He has in his mind that he is nauseous from the pain....but I think it is the percocet. He doesn't want me to call the doctor....but I may stop and get him some ginger and see if that will help.

I think it's highly individual regarding which medication causes nausea.

I would also check the prescribed dosage of zofran with his weight to see if he is getting enough. I am always given 4mg zofran, with instructions not to exceed a certain dosage in 24 hours. If he is taking 8 mg, which is often prescribed for adult males, then maybe you could call the doctor to see if he can take either another full or half pill.

I know he doesn't want you to call the doctor, but it might be justified to check if he can increase the zofran.

• Like 1

1) Note that Zofram dosages can vary widely, safely. My (idiot) doctor prescribed 4mg for my catastrophically bad nausea (from doxycycline) . . . It didn't do diddly . . . When I noticed I had 8mg pills in my medicine cabinet from a migraine a year or two ago, I googled dosages. Now I just take 8 mg when needed. It looked like dosing ranged up to 32mg or something like that. 

2) If marijauna is available where you are, go to a dispensary and ask for a variety that is good for nausea. It's about a million times better than Zofram.

3) Take meds WITH FOOD. I had to experiment mightily with the doxy to figure out things that made me less likely to get vomit-y . . .  I found I needed to have *some* food with it, but couldn't overeat, either. So a small meal was perfect, but if I ate a normal sized dinner, I'd get super nauseous. I find that I need to eat a bit, then take the med, then I can eat some more. Just experiment with different meal sizes/etc.

• Like 3

I think it's highly individual regarding which medication causes nausea.

I would also check the prescribed dosage of zofran with his weight to see if he is getting enough. I am always given 4mg zofran, with instructions not to exceed a certain dosage in 24 hours. If he is taking 8 mg, which is often prescribed for adult males, then maybe you could call the doctor to see if he can take either another full or half pill.

I know he doesn't want you to call the doctor, but it might be justified to check if he can increase the zofran.

1) Note that Zofram dosages can vary widely, safely. My (idiot) doctor prescribed 4mg for my catastrophically bad nausea (from doxycycline) . . . It didn't do diddly . . . When I noticed I had 8mg pills in my medicine cabinet from a migraine a year or two ago, I googled dosages. Now I just take 8 mg when needed. It looked like dosing ranged up to 32mg or something like that. 

2) If marijauna is available where you are, go to a dispensary and ask for a variety that is good for nausea. It's about a million times better than Zofram.

3) Take meds WITH FOOD. I had to experiment mightily with the doxy to figure out things that made me less likely to get vomit-y . . .  I found I needed to have *some* food with it, but couldn't overeat, either. So a small meal was perfect, but if I ate a normal sized dinner, I'd get super nauseous. I find that I need to eat a bit, then take the med, then I can eat some more. Just experiment with different meal sizes/etc.

Oh ty both, this is super helpful.  He is a big man 6'3 and 230....so it makes sense he could take more Zofran. 

He is feeling some better today after almost 48 hours of reduced Percocet.

• Like 2

There's a flavored anti-nausea syrup in the pharmacy (over the counter) for nausea that works somewhat well.  It's basically flavored corn syrup.

Similarly, other sugary things with licorice (real black licorice root) work well - though be careful because daily use can alter blood pressure.

Gingersnap cookies also help. So can simply candied ginger, if he can tolerate the spice.

When I used to be on pain meds all the time (and before I developed the wheat allergy) I sometimes used all 3 in one afternoon.

• Like 1