Menu

Motivation for long term, significant weight loss

teachermom2834

Well, I lost a bunch of weight (over 100 pounds) and I don't really have excess skin.  Maybe some things could look a bit better, but they look a heck of a lot better than they did stretched to the gills with fat.    I am in the later half of my 40s, so although I'm not willing to cop to being "old," I'm definitely "not young," LOL.  

I know I have mentioned this before, and people don't really like it, but I think of my weight loss/maintenance as a job.  I work it with as much determination as I do my paid work.  It's that important to me.  The same way a contractor can come into a room and know how many gallons of paint it will take, I can look at most food and know how many calories, carbs, etc. . . it has.  I have put that much time and effort into tracking and exploring food options.  I know exactly how MY BODY responds to just about every food I am interested in eating.  I know which restaurant's food will make me hold water weight for the next three days.  I work my food and health knowledge like it's my job, because if I want to stay healthy, it is.   

I started by logging every thing I ate and walking about 10 mins a day.  I was very overweight and that was about all I could do.  I refused to compare myself to anyone else and just stayed in my own lane and handled my own stuff.  I didn't even tell anyone I was dieting.  Eventually people began to notice and it was kind of nice.  Honestly, I was only losing 1/2 to 1 pound a week, so I didn't even really notice it.  It was SO VERY SLOW and gradual.  It took the better part of 2 years to get it all off.  

Anyway, I just want to encourage you a bit.  You are worth the effort.  I finally had to refuse to feel guilty for taking substantial time for my food logging, exercise, and anything else that made life a little easier and/or more pleasant for me.  Once I gave myself permission to put myself first, everything else fell into place.  Sometimes that mentality is really hard to get into for us wifely/motherly types, LOL.  

• Like 18

Not to derail the thread, but for those that have lost weight:

Do you find it challenging to prepare meals that are good for your weight loss efforts but also accepted by picky children?  (I do realize my children should be developing healthy eating habits, blahbitty-blah, however I'm a lot more open to new vegetables and such.)

Do you prepare 2 meals or adapt the meal that is served to the family (just picking and choosing the healthier bits for yourself)?  Sometimes I think I could lose weight more easily if I was meal planning for just myself, but I tend to fall back into comfort food ruts when I look at what others in the house will eat...

I've lost 50. It took me exactly a year. Initially I thought I'd stop there, but I'm going to lose 10 more.

I approached as a complete lifestyle remake. My portions were way too large, and my snacks weren't appropriate for my goal. Initially I did Nutrisystem, but I found out that I'm gluten intolerant. I can't eat the majority of their food.

After a year, I eat far, far less and actually don't like some of the things that were hurting me. For example, when we did tacos, I'd eat three smothered in cheese with refried beans. Now I eat one with a little cheese and lots of salsa and lettuce. I eat one large spoonful of refried beans with salsa. And I'm satisfied. Really. When we eat out, I order an appetizer, split it, or get a kid's meal. And that's plenty. I do work out, and so I have a protein drink when I do. I've pretty much lost my sweet tooth, although I'll occasionally have one gluten-free cookie from the freezer if I'm tempted. Very rarely do I splurge. I actually don't like rich food like I did.

I still cook for the family, but eat less and skip some dishes.

It's HARD, HARD, HARD though. For me, I had to give up what I was doing and go forward with new priorities. In other words, my life had to change from then on.

• Like 4

Do you find it challenging to prepare meals that are good for your weight loss efforts but also accepted by picky children?  (I do realize my children should be developing healthy eating habits, blahbitty-blah, however I'm a lot more open to new vegetables and such.)

Do you prepare 2 meals or adapt the meal that is served to the family (just picking and choosing the healthier bits for yourself)?  Sometimes I think I could lose weight more easily if I was meal planning for just myself, but I tend to fall back into comfort food ruts when I look at what others in the house will eat...

No and no.

On the first, I don't really have picky children so I'll admit that my experience may not translate. I have NT children and what I experienced with my kids was more the usual child reluctance to change. If you have picky eaters of the sort that other posters mention here, what I did may not work for you. YMMV.

Way back at the beginning when I was working on changing what I ate, I spent time introducing my kids to more vegetables and fruits. Well, we tried new fruits, but that wasn't a huge need or anything, just something fun. I'd print off a grocery store/produce department scavenger hunt. On it were some things the kids already liked and some of them were new things. They'd take their list and a pencil and mark them off when they found them. We'd also try at least one of the new things on the list. Sometimes we'd bring home several new foods, but there would always be at least one. Then I'd repeat it the next week. And so on.

To this day, my kids may not like everything we eat and there are definitely meals that dh and I enjoy more than the kids do. I think that's normal and to be expected even for adults. Heck, I hate artichokes, sunchokes/jerusalem artichokes, ramps, peaches, nectarines, sour cherries, raw onions, and raw garlic. I'm not going to make myself eat those, although I do remain open to trying new things periodically because tastes change. I expect the same for my kids.

I make one meal. Everyone is expected to at least try some of the meal. No one is expected to finish it, but I do ask that they take small portions if they are unsure. If they don't like it, they are welcome to make a sandwich or choose from the other food options in the house.

Perhaps modular meals might be easier for you? Then while everyone has the same main dish, everyone gets to choose from the bits that they like.

• Like 2

I have to stay strict Paleo for digestive reasons. I cook dinners differently for my very picky family. I rotate making freezer/simple meals for one and a  more detailed meal for the other. So, if I want to try a new more involved or time intensive recipe for myself- they get something simple like hot dogs and mac and cheese. Or I make things that can be eaten by all of us- like I grill some chicken and I use Paleo bbq sauce and cauli-rice and they get regular sauce and white rice. I am finding a balance so that I dont feel like I am cooking two involved dinners every night. I batch cook paleo pancakes for myself and regular pancakes for them and we all do simple lunches.

• Like 2

I'd like to see the tread get back on topic.......tips and tricks when wanting to lose a large amount of weight and needing motivation. I am enjoying the wisdom of those who've succeeded at this.

Edited by Fifiruth

My kids eat reasonably healthy home cooked meals and I usually eat with them. However, where we differ is breakfast and lunch. I eat the same breakfast 6 days a week. When they might have a sandwich for lunch, I'll have a huge green salad with lean protein. There is no way that I can eat the same things as my skinny preteen kids and keep my weight down.

• Like 1