Menu

Kayaks....sit in or sit on top...and best basic beginner kayak

Ottakee

I have 2 kayaks now. I have. 10ft wave crest and an 11 1/2 ft. Old Town. I use the Old Town as it is a bit more v shaped so a bit less stable than the other one. Then I let my kids , friends, etc use the more stable shorter kayak.

The shorter one is easier to turn and a bit lighter to carry but does require a bit more paddling for distances. The Old Town has more of a v bottom and is longer. It is harder to turn and less stable but it has a better glide.

I need to buy a 3rd kayak and am not sure if I should get another 10ft sit in or get a sit on top or something else. It would most likely be used for my kids and/or friends to come along with us. If it was a sit on top and that was really stable I might is it as well.

I am a plus size mom if that matters.

Is Sun Dolphin a good one or Pelican or ???

We mostly kayak large ponds, small calm rivers/creeks, etc but at times we do cross a larger river that can have boat wake, some waves, etc.

This summer I've been using a Wilderness Systems Pungo100, a 10ft sit in. Great stability and good glide. The tracking is not bad - I might consider a longer boat if I wanted super tracking - but the 10ft length allows me to maneuver in tight coves.

I've heard people say their kids like the sit-atops, but I prefer to sit down into the boat.

Maybe Happy will chime in, I think she's enjoying her new one.

Edited by Seasider

I use a sit-in (Sundolphin) and prefer it over sit-on-tops; most of the kid-visitors we have prefer the sit-ins, too. We do not use skirts unless we're in the ocean (and we always just rent ocean kayaks when we go to the ocean). 

Take my recommendation with a grain of salt (grain of . . . coffee? :lol: ) . . . I mostly use mine for sneaking out early before anyone else is awake just to check on the turtles and heron nest. :)

• Like 1

local to me there is a program that is teaching kayaking to persons with intellectual disabilities. They use sit on top for teaching. I've tried them out and am thinking when I'm flush with cash and time I might get one.

I have heard they are easier to get in and out of.

I use a sit-in (Sundolphin) and prefer it over sit-on-tops; most of the kid-visitors we have prefer the sit-ins, too. We do not use skirts unless we're in the ocean (and we always just rent ocean kayaks when we go to the ocean).

Take my recommendation with a grain of salt (grain of . . . coffee? :lol: ) . . . I mostly use mine for sneaking out early before anyone else is awake just to check on the turtles and heron nest. :)

The quiet easy kayaking is what I enjoy. See the animals, enjoy the quiet, etc.

I'm not s kayaker, but that sounds so peaceful!

I have 10.5 foot Perception Sound that is a sit in. It's great for lakes, backwaters, slough, etc. It's not so good on fast moving water. My DH has a 12 foot Pelican sit-in that is not so good for tight spaces but is wonderful for moving water. I have to work twice as hard as he does in stronger currents.

I just bought a sit-on top for my DGD. It has a swim deck and molded in handles so she can easily pull herself back on from the water (something she loves to do). Her kayak is definitely the more stable of the three but I would never ever take her in moving water on it. 

If you have an outfitter nearby, go check out what they use and try a sit-on top. 

We have 2 sit-on-tops.  The one-person is a Hobie and is easier to maneuver, but our favorite (most used) is our Pelican two-person. We use them on our local rivers and lakes-- not fast moving so not sure how they would handle there.  Both have been very stable for us and any 'beginner friends' who are coming along.