Menu

Dr Hive....I need your thoughts...

kfeusse

DD 16....Wednesday ran a 102.5 fever....lots of drainage, sore throat (I posted about this...some of you might recall)...anyway...fast forward to Friday...made an appointment with doctor. because nothing changed for the better..was told that her symptoms probably started as allergies and then turned bacterial...and now she has a sinus infection.  They gave her a shot of penicillin and a steroid shot.  Told her to manage fever with Motrin (which she didn't ever get a fever again past Thursday night), she should take zyrtec D for allergies (for 5 days) and then just take zyrtec with flonase.  And sent us home.  Doctor said to call her back on Monday if not better.

She is some better...but still has a lot of drainage and congestion. Her throat still hurts, but she does have a bit more pep.  However, she is now complaining of one of her ears hurting.  Could that be a sign that the medicine didn't work and she needs more?  

She also has had a lot of matter in her eyes in the morning the last 3 days....

What do you all think?  What can I do today....since it's Sunday and it doesn't appear to be something that require immediate attention. 

No fever...so I am not sure what to think.

thanks for your thoughts.

she says the pain is getting worse....she has been putting a warm rice bag on her ear.  She said it was a 3 (pain scale) before we ate and now it's a 4.5.  

concerning??

the last time she took a zyrtec D was yesterday morning and it made her super drowsy....so we decided that she should wait until bedtime to take the next one...so I gave her a sudefed instead this morning about 10:30...trying to buy time until tonight.  The Zyrtec D is a 24 hour med.

the nearest medial place that might be open is 45 miles away...unless we take her to the ER..which I don't think is needed, yes??  

I agree with the sinus pressure causing the pain...that make sense...but still what else can we do??

Have you ever done a sinus rinse? I recommend the NeilMed saline rinse system. It will help the sinus pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we have no place to buy such a thing today...can you make it from home?  if so, how do you do that....and how would it work?

I would give her an antihistamine to see if it helped ease the ear pain. If that and a dose of ibuprofen don't help, I would call your doctor's answering service and ask to speak to the doctor on call.

ETA: eye junk is a clear sign that DS8 has an ear infection, every time.

Edited by Noreen Claire

She probably needs more antibiotics than the single shot. Monday is fine, no need for ER. Ibuprofen for swelling/pain. Warm anything on the ear...rice sock, etc. Warm compress on the eyes for the goop. Definitely keep up on the decongestant...the decongestant in the Zytec D probably is a 12 hour one, I bet. I prefer to do a separate decongestant and allergy medicine rather than combined for that reason. Zyrtec before bed, decongestant throughout the day/night. Or you could try Afrin, but not combined with an oral decongestant...that isn't advised although i've done it and lived. 

• Like 1

she says the pain is getting worse....she has been putting a warm rice bag on her ear.  She said it was a 3 (pain scale) before we ate and now it's a 4.5.  

concerning??

the last time she took a zyrtec D was yesterday morning and it made her super drowsy....so we decided that she should wait until bedtime to take the next one...so I gave her a sudefed instead this morning about 10:30...trying to buy time until tonight.  The Zyrtec D is a 24 hour med.

the nearest medial place that might be open is 45 miles away...unless we take her to the ER..which I don't think is needed, yes??  

I agree with the sinus pressure causing the pain...that make sense...but still what else can we do??

Zyrtec D is not a 24 hour med, it's a 12 hour.   The decongestant, if regular Sudafed, has run out.  We are all fighting it here as well.  You can add guaifenesin to help thin secretions.

Edited by melmichigan

She probably needs more antibiotics than the single shot. Monday is fine, no need for ER. Ibuprofen for swelling/pain. Warm anything on the ear...rice sock, etc. Warm compress on the eyes for the goop. Definitely keep up on the decongestant...the decongestant in the Zytec D probably is a 12 hour one, I bet. I prefer to do a separate decongestant and allergy medicine rather than combined for that reason. Zyrtec before bed, decongestant throughout the day/night. Or you could try Afrin, but not combined with an oral decongestant...that isn't advised although i've done it and lived.

I agree with this. I've had many, many sinus infections. She most likely needs a full round of antibiotics by mouth, not just the one shot.

• Like 1

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. But I do have a few tricks up my sleeve.

For eye goop--Wash with baby shampoo every 4-5 hours as needed. If no baby shampoo in the house, just use plain, unscented soap.

For homemade sinus bath--Fill a large bowl with warm water and 2 T salt. Mix to dissolve salt. Immerse face, keeping face perfectly horizontal. Blow OUT through the nostrils. Do not snort or attempt to breathe in. When nasal cavities are emptied of air, you will feel the warm water gently invading the nose. This is not painful. Hold 15 seconds. You can repeat this a couple times, blowing your nose in between each immersion.

For ears--anything warm is good. Should not be a reason to fear ear pain unless fever rises above 103.

All of these measures will help with or without other meds.

Allergy meds can actually be counterproductive sometimes because of the way they thicken mucous and inhibit output. A different alternative is Nasacort nasal spray.

Take some form of ibuprofen or naproxen to reduce tissue swelling and manage pain. Can alternate every two hours with Tylenol if necessary for pain or fever above 103. Edited to add--I know you can alternate ibuprofen and Tylenol. Naproxen is a different matter, though--I am not sure if you are allowed to alternate that one that often, or at all. But it is effective for reducing swelling.

Edited to add: For sore throat, gargle a couple times a day with salt water or with any mouthwash.

Edited by Harriet Vane