Menu

Using glass jars for food storage?

swimmermom3

I am washing and waxing kitchen cabinets and prepping the walls to be painted.

For many years, I have had Tupperware storage containers for flour, rice, hot cereal, etc.  Many of those are quite elderly now and I need less storage now that not all of us live at home.

I have been eyeing some of the new, colored, Bell mason jars for food storage. I know that this is better for you healthwise than storing food in plastic.

If you have made the conversion, do you have any tips?  Do they take up more space than the stackable Tupperware containers?  Is there any size that would hold a 5 pound bag of flour?

What are my options?

Dh would also like glass containers for taking his lunch to work and microwaving it.

We use glass.

For flour I bought large screw top jars at Container Store and labeled them with washi tape.

I think I found a chart online to know what ounce jar fit five pounds of flour.

For sugars I use quart mason jars. It takes two jars depending what I buy.

When I put things like couscous or cream of wheat in a jar I tape the instructions to the outside of the jar or tuck the instructions inside the jar.

I use wide mouth mason jars because they're easier to hand wash.

A wide mouth funnel makes everything easier!

Lastly, jars with "shoulders" do *not* go in the freezer so I have some freezer jars too.

• Like 6

I do pretty much  like happi duck, though I am still using plastic for flours and granulated sugar.  Everything else is in wide-mouth mason jars (no shoulders, easier to pour in and out of).  

My husband sometimes takes soup or something reheatable for lunch in pint-sized wide-mouth mason jars, like these. (amazon link) The ones I linked are not a good price right now. Sometimes Amazon has them cheapest, and sometimes Walmart or grocery stores do.  (Don't assume cheaper because it's Amazon, iow.)

I love seeing all my grains and cereals (oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc) in jars in the pantry.  

• Like 2

I use Mason jars for almost everything. For flour and sugar I use larger wide mouthed glass containers with screw on metal tops (large for flour, smaller for sugar). They are easily found at Target. I have a stash of antique glass jars with the rubber sealed glass tops that I use for oats and cornmeal, mostly just because I have them and they are pretty in my dry goods baking cabinet.

For grains I put cooking instructions on the lids.

• Like 3

I have many (many) glass storage jar. Most are Bormioli Fido (Italian) and some (I think) are Le Parfait (French).

They have a rubber gasket and seal with a wire-metal snap.

After many years of use, the gaskets need to be replaced (as they eventually crack).

Bill

• Like 1

Dh would also like glass containers for taking his lunch to work and microwaving it.

I can only speak to this.  My husband tried this, but after dropping a container too hot to handle and spilling hot soup on himself and the floor at work, he never wanted to use them again.  I believe there are some that have a plastic kind of sleeve thing..maybe that would help with that?  But it's a definite issue.  The glass stuff can get insanely hot.

• Like 1