Menu

car seat to booster, when?

Elizabeth86

With forward facing there usually needs to be a shoulder belt (every car seat I've used anyway), but latch connectors are optional. Easier, but totally unnecessary.

Even in my new van (2015 NV) I don't think we have latch connectors in more than three seats. We just used the belt installs. And we tend to switch to boosters with our five year olds, who are on the taller and heavier side.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I dont know, I think dh just feels they feel safer?

My understanding is it doesn't matter as long as the car seat is installed correctly. But personally I have qualms about some car seatbelts because they come from odd angles like the ceiling. I don't know about all that. I haven't become a car seat tech yet, but would like to become one. Just show him that website. It may help you decide.

At 43 lbs he probably cannot be using LATCH anymore anyway. It depends on the seat specifically but most are 65 lbs with seat and child combined. A seat belt install is just as safe, LATCH is just supposed to be easier.

He can move to a booster when he fits the size requirements and when he is mature enough to stay sitting properly the entire time. For most kids this is going to be between 5-6. I like to see kids get as close to 6 as possible for maturity reasons. My oldest with maturity issues and SPD was 7.5 before I moved her out of the 5-point. My just turned 5 will probably move into a booster next spring when she's ~5y9 months. After fit, the ability to stay in position is really key. They are not safe if they are twisting around to watch fire trucks or leaning down to pick up toys. Many kids under 6 aren't ready yet and almost all under 5 aren't. Unless he has any special needs, he'll likely be fine by 6.5. :) 

• Like 4

A car seat will be safer than a booster. Google how to install with a seat belt and it can still be used.

This is actually a common misconception. Once a child fits the booster by size and maturity, a car seat is no safER. A 5-point harness is still a perfectly safe option so long as they are under the limits, but a *properly used* booster is just as safe. :)

• Like 4

My kids are big. I remember and use the rule of 4: age 4, at least 40", at least 40 lbs. I am literally counting ti the 3yo turns 4 in Sept to switch him, he's had the other two covered for a good while. So, I think you'll be fine to move him up at that time. 

My kids are big. I remember and use the rule of 4: age 4, at least 40", at least 40 lbs. I am literally counting ti the 3yo turns 4 in Sept to switch him, he's had the other two covered for a good while. So, I think you'll be fine to move him up at that time. 

Just be aware this is a *minimum* ;) It is estimated that only about 1% of 4yo's are mature enough to safely use a booster. By 5 that number is up to 50%, and by 6, 99%. 

• Like 1

Car seats actually AREN'T significantly safer than seatbelts. Obviously parents need to follow state laws, but I wouldn't think twice about moving a 6 y.o. to a booster.

I would think twice because of maturity and naps in cars. A harness holds someone in more upright but a seatbelt allows them to slump over to the side of the car. I see pics of kids asleep in cars online all the time. I cringe when my facebook feed shows pics of kids completely leaning out of their seat (maybe they weren't that way long) with a caption like, "had a big day."

My 9 yr old uses a high back booster right now. We do own a low back, but I prefer him using a HBB. I still have to remind him to straight up his belt if it falls out of the guide or tell him not to sleep like that (if he falls forward). He can dose off with his head leaning against the wings on the HBB, though.

• Like 2

I would think twice because of maturity and naps in cars. A harness holds someone in more upright but a seatbelt allows them to slump over to the side of the car. I see pics of kids asleep in cars online all the time. I cringe when my facebook feed shows pics of kids completely leaning out of their seat (maybe they weren't that way long) with a caption like, "had a big day."

My 9 yr old uses a high back booster right now. We do own a low back, but I prefer him using a HBB. I still have to remind him to straight up his belt if it falls out of the guide or tell him not to sleep like that (if he falls forward). He can dose off with his head leaning against the wings on the HBB, though.

This is very true and another point to consider if you have a child that sleeps in the car. When we moved my oldest to a booster at 7.5, we still put her back in a harness for road trips to help keep her in position if she fell asleep and just to help because that's a long time to stay sitting properly and the harness does the work for them. She just turned 9 and has finally outgrown the harness so the last road trip was her first in a booster. She is in a backless in grandma and nana's car, but has a high back in our primary car. She's been asking to take off the back and if we do, it will go back on for road trips. 

I, too, cringe at the fb posts of poorly restrained kids! I always want to say something to help, but most people don't want to be told :(  A couple of days ago I saw a pic of a small child (in a clearly moving vehicle) buckled with only the chest clip.  :crying:

My state has insanely strict child restraint laws so I keep my kids in a booster until they are 4'9". My 11 y.o. is still in a booster as he is short for his age. But I do think the law is a triumph of "nanny state" over what the evidence actually supports

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to argue that car seats aren't safer.  They might function exactly the same in a crash, but it is definitely safer to keep kids strapped down where they cannot reach and torture younger siblings in the car.

*I might still be bitter over a really mean child who is still staying here at the moment. YMMV, especially if you have kids with empathy.

In my case, my 6yo (a bit over 40 pounds I think) and almost 4yo (about 35 pounds I think) are both in 5 point harness seats, forward facing. 6yo's could be a booster, but then I'd need a shoulder belt, and since I need those for the older kids, the 6yo and almost 4yo are in the spots that only have lap belts. I believe one is with LATCH and one is with the lap belt, but I need to move both to lap belt. If it weren't for needing the shoulder belts for the bigger kids, I could put 6yo in a booster and feel pretty okay with it.

If 6yo rides in DH's car, he uses a booster with a shoulder belt. My 8yo rides with a high back booster with shoulder belt in my van but needs nothing in DH's car. My almost 4yo is required to be in a harness until age 4, per my state law, and I'll keep him in it in my van, but in DH's car, he will be able to use a booster. If you've got a booster and shoulder belt available, and either a head rest in the car or on the booster, I'd be okay with putting a 6yo in a booster.

I would be fine with an average sized 6yr old with no special needs in a booster. I'm pretty picky about car seats too, but by 6.5, most kids are responsible enough to sit in a booster and it makes getting in and out easier. That's about first grade, right? Maybe a young 2nd grader...I think it would be safe. You may want to switch before the baby comes so you can have a few months to train him how to use it. There's a learning curve where you'll want to help him out and remind him how to sit. 

Latches at heavier weights are not effective and unsafe. You'd have to read the manual to see how much your seat weighs and the latch limits. We have a booster with latch, but it's only to prevent the seat from becoming a projectile when unoccupied. 

Car seats actually AREN'T significantly safer than seatbelts. Obviously parents need to follow state laws, but I wouldn't think twice about moving a 6 y.o. to a booster.

My understanding is that seat belts are sufficient to save lives, but car seats prevent injury. I'd like my kids protected from injury too. Unless said 6 year old is tiny or will have difficulty staying sitting correctly, I think a booster is fine. Car seats can be installed with seat belts though and sometimes it is easier to get everyone buckled with harnessed seats.

Dd8 and dd6 just moved to booster seats over 5-point maybe 6mo ago (at 6 and 8yo). Dd8 is smaller than dd6 and has maturity issues. It's gone well and has been very handy. Dd5 is still in her 5-point. Maybe we'll move her over for her birthday, I don't know. She doesn't really seem to care.

Current AAP recommendations - http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/pediatrics/early/2011/03/21/peds.2011-0215.full.pdf

Car seats should be used as long as possible based on model ht/wt limits, then transitioned to boosters.

The recs were based in 2011. I'm not able to research newer studies, but the freakonomics article listed upthread is from 2005.

ETA- this assumes, of course, that whatever method used is applied properly, apples to apples and all that.

Edited by displace

Not to hijack OP, but my 3 yo has almost outgrown the height limit on his five point carseat. I need to move him to a booster. My 5 yo is .25" from outgrowing his high back booster.

Because of the style of the regular seating,I do not want them in a backless booster. for those of you who have kids who are 6-7 that are still in at five point harness,link please? and what booster seat are you putting them in after?

I think we used a Diono Radian for our kids, but I'm not 100% sure. It's been so long ago that what they have out now is no longer the same. It was a FF seat that transitioned to a high back booster, and then to a backless booster if you wanted. We almost never used it backless, though. They used the high backs until they were around 12 and big enough for no seat. It had a height limit that coincided with the height you need to be to be out of a seat. They found it more comfortable than the backless. 

Not to hijack OP, but my 3 yo has almost outgrown the height limit on his five point carseat. I need to move him to a booster. My 5 yo is .25" from outgrowing his high back booster.

Because of the style of the regular seating,I do not want them in a backless booster. for those of you who have kids who are 6-7 that are still in at five point harness,link please? and what booster seat are you putting them in after?

Mine is in a HBB called the Safety 1st Boost Air. I have a tall child and I don't think we're on the last notch yet. A tech told me about the seat. I liked that it had semi wide padded wings up top. We are in the car long periods.

Please note that some HBBs require head support from the vehicle and some do not. In our case the car head rest stays inside the vehicle. This has a lot to do with the fact that I didn't want to use the school van. The bench seats looked like they offered no head support except on the youngest/shortest.

Look up any car seat/booster you are considering online. Many are on Car Seats for the Littles with pros/cons. They also have a facebook page.

https://csftl.org/safety-1st-boost-air-protect-booster-review

https://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?39944-2017-Recommended-Car-Seats-List-Community-Top-Rated-Picks

Here are the latest recommended seats from car-seat.org. Look in the Combinations/Harnessed Booster section for your 3 year old.

Is your 5 year old's booster adjusted to its tallest height setting? I've noticed a lot of parents don't realize that the TurboBooster can be made taller. If the existing booster is outgrown, your only options are backless or to buy a taller booster.

There are measurement charts online, but we have ours in a Britax Frontier.  It has high limits for the shoulder straps (and uses a clamp mechanism to get a tight install with a seatbelt instead of LATCH for older kids), and then has high limits for the booster mode of the seat (you can latch it in).  The one drawback is that we're finding the seat pad starts to loosen after a few years and has trouble staying put in booster mode.  There is also a similar model called the Pioneer, but without the fancy seatbelt lockoff.

Our other seat is a booster only Chicco Kidfit.  It has high limits on the back, can go backless, and latches in. I like it a lot.  It's easy to use and has enough padding for long car trips.

FWIW, my very leggy 8yr old (4'6", 73lbs) is still harnessed in his Britax Frontier 90, and has about an inch left before I switch him to booster. He can buckle himself in/out without any problems. As the baby is about to move out of his infant seat, we will be doing the car seat version of musical chairs soon. (We own 10 seats for 4 kids!)

Edited by Noreen Claire

What seats do you have? That seems very early to outgrow most seats.  

My 5 yo is 44" and 46 lbs. She is harnessed in a Britax Frontier in my car, a Diono Radian in DH's car and Graco Nautiluses in grandparents cars.

My 9yo was harnessed in a Graco Nautilus until 7.5. She still fit the harness and used it for road trips until about 8.5. She's tall but all legs and light-weight. She's now boostered in the Nautilus in my car (high back), a Graco Turbobooster (high back) in DH's car, and a backless in my mom's car (I'm not sure what she got. I think it's likely a harmony or a backless turbobooster since she got it at walmart.)

The author of that blog has a financial interest in convincing parents to use car seats. It's like quoting a formula manufacturer to rebut a pro-BF study. Follow the dollars...

As the baby is about to move out of his infant seat, we will be doing the car seat version of musical chairs soon.

We just played that game a couple months ago.  

My (then) 7 year old ditched the harness and moved into a high back Graco Affix Booster (held in place with LATCH).  

My (then) 5 year old moved up to the Radian (harnessed, installed with the seat belt).  

My 3.5 year old turned forward facing and moved into the Frontier (harnessed, installed with the seat belt).

My 1 year old went into the rear facing Radian (installed with LATCH).

Wendy

The author of that blog has a financial interest in convincing parents to use car seats. It's like quoting a formula manufacturer to rebut a pro-BF study. Follow the dollars...

what did I miss? I thought she was just a car seat advocate turned car seat tech. That was my first time visiting that page. Inspections are free so where is the money?

what did I miss? I thought she was just a car seat advocate turned car seat tech. That was my first time visiting that page. Inspections are free so where is the money?

I believe that The Car Seat Lady charges for inspections. She does, however, link directly to researchers (multiple times) who rebut the economists' findings. That's the important part...

• Like 1