Menu

Help me find 7th grade math

I need help! My DD is entering grade 7. She is a creative child and hates math. In the early years we used Horizons which was OK, she did not love it but managed. we also tried Teaching Textbooks and she hated it. At grade 6 she was so tired of still doing multiplications and divisions day after day. She was bored.

She's borderline OCD . Here are the issues;

She doesn't like doing math on the computer. Prefers workbooks. She hates heavy fat books and finds them frustrating when trying to use a workbook at the same time. So thin workbooks preferred. Tried Lifepac, went to the garbage. Saxon made all my kids cry, not just her. She hates small font and cluttered pages. We checked Math Mammoth online, seems too cluttered, as well as Horizons and A Beka. 

So I'm looking for a curriculum that is not common core, not online or cd-rom, not a heavy textbook with separate workbook, the pages are free of clutter and enough room to work out the problems. Considering CLE....or Key to...?

She doesn't like math but did well on her CAT tests. 

Agreed. CLE fits your description but print out the diagnostic test for placement. Scope and sequence can be different from other programs. If she places behind where you were expecting her to be, don't fret. CLE can be accelerated. Better to place her where she can learn without getting discouraged or seriously frustrated and confused. If you give her the placement test and want advice on the results, just post. Lots of people can help.

Key To ___ is not a full math program. It's great for extra practice though.

Jousting Armadillos seems to go over well with creative kids. It's prealg. It may not suit your whole list of preferences, but there isn't any bouncing between books.

• Like 1

Have you considered BJU Fundamentals with the dvd or online lessons. Granted it is a big fat book but there is only one and not all the problems are assgined. At this age, you need to think about what pre-alg on up she will use so you can have a smooth transition.

Edited by Paradox5

As much as I like BJU, I find that there are too many components, like A Beka; they are expensive, esp. the dvd-s, and she would not like a big fat textbook plus a student activity manual. I understand that we need to get her ready for high school math but she has challenges and that is one big reason we are homeschooling. So we don't have to use public school textbooks. I think I'll give CLE a shot this year. It seems like a lot of people have success with CLE on this board. Thanks for your suggestion, though.

• Like 1

I really like the materials by All Things Algebra on Teachers Pay Teachers. She has games to go with a lot of her lessons. My daughter really likes it. I am using the pre-algebra for a student I am tutoring, and I really like it. I am starting Algebra 2 with my daughter this week. TPT should have a sale very soon. 

• Like 1