Menu

Evaluate my math curriculum plan!

shan74

Help! I'm new to homeschool and am putting together our own curricula and skipping the online packaged school. Can you help me evaluate my plan for 2nd grade math (fast learner, type A kid, very focused and driven). I need zero prep work, and we want Common Core so we can roll back into school if this doesn't work out.

Singapore Math as our spine.
supplement with Everyday Math (Common core).
Plus an online program for when I need to keep him busy. We’ve narrowed that down to MobyMax or GreatMinds with Zearn.
We will be doing the MAP tests twice a year to make sure we’re on target.

Is 30-60 minutes/day enough? Any other suggestions for online programs are very welcome, I think my son would prefer to do most of his learning online, and I don't have time to prep.

THANK YOU!

30-60 minutes is plenty each day.  I would probably not supplement Singapore with EM.  Personal preference, but juggling two complete curricula is not a fun task, and it will be more prep than you want.  There is very little that you might miss.  A better plan might be to make a checklist of CC skills, and mark them off as you go through Singapore. Keep an eye on it quarterly.  Anything you haven't hit by the end of the year can easily be done with an online skills game, either through Internet 4 Classrooms (list of skills games links by grade) or Prodigy (online free math practice game that you can align with CC)

• Like 2

I would avoid Everyday Math. It's not designed to deliver the basics because it's based on pseudoscientific ed school theories about traditional algorithms etc being bad for kids. I don't even understand how it got labeled as "Common Core" as it predates Common Core and is largely based on a rejection of the traditional scope and sequence, which Common Core largely follows. My child's experience with it in public school was very negative.

I use a Common Core curriculum called EngageNY. It is free online from the New York State Education Department. But it is very far from zero prep. It requires you to actually teach your kid. However, Khan Academy has a very good series of lessons aligned with EngageNY, which could be used as a supplement to Singapore. There should be no need to do two whole curricula, anyway. It would be better to take the time to actually teach one curriculum than to pile up a bunch of different ones for the kid to do on their own.  There needs to be time spent developing concepts through discussion and demonstration, and the teacher needs to be prepared for that.

You need zero prep work? What do you like about Singapore Math? I'm thinking that if you don't want to have to do prep work, there might be a better curriculum for you.

For a fast learner who focuses on math, 20-30 minutes a day is plenty in grade 2. It's amazing what can be done by a motivated kid who enjoys math and doesn't have distractions.

The thing about the Common Core requirements is that some very good math programs (like Math in Focus-- another Singapore-style method that might work out for you) rate poorly according to Common Core not because a kid using them will fall behind, but because they present concepts that Common Core has deemed should be the focus of later grade levels. Singapore Math does not require supplementation, even if it's not Common Core-aligned. It's a great program.

• Like 1

Singapore Math is a fantastic program IF you read the Home Instructor's Guide and IF you do the suggested activities that don't have a specific workbook page associated with them.  That is, HIG will tell you, "Work on 2,3,4 times tables until mastery" but there is no workbook page for it.  So if you only teach to the workbook, you will miss the meat and awesomeness that is Singapore Math.  HIG also explains how to prep the lessons, how to present with manipulatives, etc, which is really important.  

If you are very comfortable in math, I would call Singapore "low prep", but it's not no prep.  Math Mammoth might be closer to no prep.  Only one "work text" rather than multiple books to juggle, and no vital information hiding elsewhere in the instructor's guide.  But it's less elegant in appearance and that can bother some kids.

• Like 2

OP here.  Thanks so much for this feedback!  I was leaning towards Singapore Math based on the recommendations of a math teacher, but it sounds like there may be better options for us out there.  I need little to no prep, some online work (at my son's request) and common core.  Engage NY was another site my friend recommended, but I am overwhelmed by it (looks like a lot of work).  I'll look at Khan.   My son is a pretty engaged, quick learner.  We're pulling him out of school because he's testing 3-4 grades ahead, and needs more challenge and to move at his own pace.  There are still lots of basic math concepts that he hasn't been introduced to.

Anything else that jumps out at you as a possibility for us? 

Edited by shan74

OP here. Thanks so much for this feedback! I was leaning towards Singapore Math based on the recommendations of a math teacher, but it sounds like there may be better options for us out there. I need little to no prep, some online work (at my son's request) and common core. Engage NY was another site my friend recommended, but I am overwhelmed by it (looks like a lot of work). I'll look at Khan. My son is a pretty engaged, quick learner. We're pulling him out of school because he's testing 3-4 grades ahead, and needs more challenge and to move at his own pace. There are still lots of basic math concepts that he hasn't been introduced to.

Anything else that jumps out at you as a possibility for us?

Learning that quickly and being that advanced leads to the Art of Problem Solving books for me. The books before Pre-Algebra are the Beast Academy series. Very in-depth and challenging, written directly to the student. He could start with the books and they're adding an online component due out early 2018.

• Like 5

This past year I had a mathy 2nd grader.  He used Math Mammoth (he completed the second half of level 4 and the first half of level 5 during 2nd grade), Xtramath (online, independent fact practice) and Singapore word problems for problem solving practice.

We also supplemented with Prodigy (online, independent review and problem solving practice), Balance Benders, Mind Benders, Dragon Box apps, Hands on Equations and Beast Academy.

All of that looks very complicated, but math was actually one of our easiest, most open-and-go subjects.  There was a little sporadic prep work (2-3 hours every 2-3 months), but there was no day to day prep, and DS did most of his math work independently.

Wendy

• Like 1

Others have covered other options. I just wanted to point out that my 7-8yo people weren't capable of 60 minutes of math at one time. Even the strong math students would have melted. 30-40 minutes tops was our limit.

• Like 2

Others have covered other options. I just wanted to point out that my 7-8yo people weren't capable of 60 minutes of math at one time. Even the strong math students would have melted. 30-40 minutes tops was our limit.

:iagree:

My 8 year old spends about 40 minutes on math each day, but that time is divided into three sessions.  He spends ~5 minutes on Xtramath while he waits for breakfast to be ready, ~15 minutes on problem solving during school time (when I am around to offer assistance as necessary) and ~20 minutes of independent work in Math Mammoth after lunch.

He often spends additional time on Hands on Equations, Beast Academy, Prodigy, Balance Benders, Dragon Box, etc, but those are all activities that he chooses.

Wendy

My mathy 7-year-old does 30 minutes of Beast Academy and spends 30 minutes on Prodigy most week days, and I spend no time on prep. If I were less confident with the content I would probably spend a few minutes reading over the BA solutions before putting the questions in front of DS.

This past year I had a mathy 2nd grader. He used Math Mammoth (he completed the second half of level 4 and the first half of level 5 during 2nd grade), Xtramath (online, independent fact practice) and Singapore word problems for problem solving practice

Wendy

I was going to suggest exactly this: Math Mammoth, Singapore Challenging Word Problems, plus Xtra-Math for fact practice. You could add your online program for fun as time allows, but it would be for practice/fun rather than main lesson instruction.

Little to no prep?

May I gently add...homeschooling is an investment in your child's education. The more YOU invest, the more HE'LL get from it.

That said, it sounds to me like your accelerated kiddo would benefit from Beast Academy, which is fairly independent. My son does Beast by himself with occasional help on hard problems.

But, I also do Singapore with him and I directly teach him that.

So Beast, and probably Khan to round your son out a bit. With a side of Prodigy for fun and as review.

Lots of luck as you begin your homeschool adventure!

• Like 3

Oh, I second the addition of Process Skills and Challenging Word Problems. Not every day, maybe 2x/week. Or over summer.

ETA: Process Skills would be something I would directly teach, following it up with independent work from CWP.  So it's not really independent.  But it is open and go.  

Edited by Sweetpea3829

Help! I'm new to homeschool and am putting together our own curricula and skipping the online packaged school. Can you help me evaluate my plan for 2nd grade math (fast learner, type A kid, very focused and driven). I need zero prep work, and we want Common Core so we can roll back into school if this doesn't work out.

Singapore Math as our spine.
supplement with Everyday Math (Common core).
Plus an online program for when I need to keep him busy. We’ve narrowed that down to MobyMax or GreatMinds with Zearn.
We will be doing the MAP tests twice a year to make sure we’re on target.

Is 30-60 minutes/day enough? Any other suggestions for online programs are very welcome, I think my son would prefer to do most of his learning online, and I don't have time to prep.

THANK YOU!

How to we sigh up for MAP tests Thanks in advance 

Math in Focus is Singapore Math made for schools. My nephews used it in their public schools in fact. The lessons are doable in time for age in my experience. It felt like just enough and was easy to teach. I liked not having to juggle math books like Singapore. I never used or needed the teachers' editions, so it was very affordable. I used it through 5th grade. 

Just echoing, but I would not supplement Singapore with Everyday Math. It's not really necessary, and there are much more fun ways to engage his interest. Beast Academy, Zaccaro, math games etc..

Make sure you do the placement test for Singapore too.