Menu

Take back the rainbow!! or Moxie hurt herself rolling her eyes

Moxie

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who had that reaction. 

I mean, even as a Christian, this was majorly, massively, humonguosly eye-roll worthy to me. 

Well, and I kept thinking, if a rainbow is meant as God's promise that He will be the one to, in the end, judge the world.....(and yes, a promise it won't be via flood), is that not perhaps a reason for us to look at and see the rainbow flag and remind our own selves to leave any potential judging to God, rather than take it into our own hands...?

I mean, perhaps the current use is precisely the right thing, being used in precisely the right way, and it is we Christians who are misreading it, rather than LGBTQ who are misusing it.....if a rainbow in the sky can remind me that God has promised not to judge me here & now, not to destroy me by flood....couldn't a rainbow flag also remind me that God likewise promised not to judge anyone else here & now, either, nor destroy them by flood......:sigh: 

I hope I'm communicating that well; the whole subject saddens me after I get done rolling my eyes at the particular bit in the article. 

• Like 28

It's Ken Ham.   Nothing good ever comes from Ken Ham.  As for the rainbow on the ark, the message is entirely lost.  If I were driving by to ark, I would either think that some activist had done it, or think that the Ark people were supporting GLBT people (if I didn't know about Answers in Genesis).  

Edited by Ananda
  • Like 16

It's Ken Ham. Nothing good ever comes from Ken Ham. As for the rainbow on the ark, the message is entirely lost. If I were driving by to ark, I would either think that some activist had done it, or think that the Ark people were supporting GLBT people (if I didn't know about Answers in Genesis).

I thought the same thing. Ken ham can't singlehandedly define culture, so all's he's doing is causing non-local passersby to think, "What is that, Noah's ark?? Seriously?? Well, how nice that they support the gays. That's great."

• Like 18

I actually really like Ken Ham but this is silly. It's equivalent to someone foot stomping and complaining about Christmas trees as a co opted pagan symbol.

It seems like an unnecessary tweak, even though he's not technically wrong.

I like it. It's the ARK! (And we're visiting in about 10 days). Having the rainbow there is very appropriate.

And-- Since when do we have to solve the problems of the world before doing anything else?  Jesus himself scolded his disciples for this attitude. (Matthew 26)

• Like 3

As a Christian, I am happy to read this article. I think it's wonderful. I've often asked myself why the rainbow was the LGBT flag. And I agree with vonfirmath - we don't have to solve the world's problems before tackling smaller issues.

And why would anyone be embarrassed to be a Christian because of Ken ham? He's a very smart guy who supports and promotes a literal, 6-day creation and a young Earth. I like him a lot. We read lots of his books and articles.

• Like 1

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2017/july/new-noahs-ark-lights-christians-need-to-take-back-the-rainbow

So glad we've cured world hunger and poverty so we can focus on the real issues facing Christianity!!

Yeah, because there are so many verses in the Bible after the flood in Genesis reminding people to focus on the rainbow... Let me find one... uh, gotta wade through all those talking about not being judgmental, helping the downtrodden, not glorifying the wealthy, watching what my own actions are... Hmm, only found three (Ezekiel and two in Revelation) - but not a single one references the rainbow being a symbol of Christians.  They're used more as descriptions of awe and beauty.  Weird, huh?

However, to be fair, the rainbow fits well with the Genesis story and the Ark so I've no complaints about the one in KY being lit up as shown in the news story.  I only roll my eyes at the "Take Back the Rainbow" mentality, and then I definitely roll my eyes.

• Like 11

As a Christian, I am happy to read this article. I think it's wonderful. I've often asked myself why the rainbow was the LGBT flag. And I agree with vonfirmath - we don't have to solve the world's problems before tackling smaller issues.

And why would anyone be embarrassed to be a Christian because of Ken ham? He's a very smart guy who supports and promotes a literal, 6-day creation and a young Earth. I like him a lot. We read lots of his books and articles.

SHHH! You can't admit that on here without everyone's perception of your IQ dropping thirty points and being accused of science denialism. For your sake, pretend you agree with the herd on this one.

Ken Ham is extremely divisive to Christianity. You know that not all Christians believe in a literal, 6-day, blah blah blah, right?

• Like 19

SHHH! You can't admit that on here without everyone's perception of your IQ dropping thirty points and being accused of science denialism. For your sake, pretend you agree with the herd on this one.

Damn, hurt myself again!!

I think anyone who has tried to buy a Christian science homeschool curriculum will agree with me that you aren't too oppressed.

Edited by Moxie
  • Like 14

I was thinking:  either she is very new to this board or VERY BRAVE to actually express her opinion here.

• Like 11

Ken's actual Facebook post about it says "The rainbow is a reminder God will never again judge the wickedness of man with a global Flood—next time the world will be judged by fire." He's taking back the rainbow to remind us we're going to burn. It's so touching.

• Like 24

Ken's actual Facebook post about it says "The rainbow is a reminder God will never again judge the wickedness of man with a global Flood—next time the world will be judged by fire." He's taking back the rainbow to remind us we're going to burn. It's so touching.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I have so many things to say about Ken Ham, but I shall restrain myself for fear I would get banned from this board. 

• Like 8

"Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.â€

I grew up in the church and was always taught the rainbow was a reminder that God loves us all.  It always seemed apropos on the LGBTQ flag to me, because I thought Christians needed reminding of that sentiment.  In hindsight, I had a very young and naive view.  Christianity just isn't what I grew up thinking it was.

• Like 13

It's Ken Ham. Nothing good ever comes from Ken Ham.

This should be my new bumpersticker. That man is certifiable. We won a science gift basket a year ago from my kids old Christian School and I immediately chucked the Ken Ham Dinosaur book into the trash before my kids could be tainted by his lunacy.

Actually, the post about what do people hate...I think I found it.

• Like 11

"Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.â€

I grew up in the church and was always taught the rainbow was a reminder that God loves us all. It always seemed apropos on the LGBTQ flag to me, because I thought Christians needed reminding of that sentiment. In hindsight, I had a very young and naive view. Christianity just isn't what I grew up thinking it was.

Not to pick on you but how does this square? The rainbow appeared after God killed the whole earth except one guy, his family, and enough animals to start again. How does that translate to God loving everyone when he was angry enough over the sins of his creation to wipe them off the map?

The covenant angle in scripture makes sense, but I can't find a logical argument from scripture about the rainbow symbolizing love.

Edited by Arctic Mama

What's wrong with being different? The herd mentality is what's wrong with the world today. I dont mind sticking out.

Anytime I put my opinion on any board here, I get made fun of or picked on. Why? I'm not controversial at all. Not confrontational or anything. I just nicely add my thoughts to everyone else's. I don't see the problem? I believe in a literal 6 day creation and a young Earth. I believe dinosaurs walked with man. And for that I'm considered unintelligent?

Edited by meganrussell
  • Like 6

Not to pick on you but how does this square? The rainbow appeared after God killed the whole earth except one guy, his family, and enough animals to start again. How does that translate to God loving everyone when he was angry enough over the sins of his creation to wipe them off the map?

The covenant angle in scripture makes sense, but I can't find a logical argument from scripture about the rainbow symbolizing love.

I grew up in the church and was always taught the rainbow was a reminder that God loves us all. It always seemed apropos on the LGBTQ flag to me, because I thought Christians needed reminding of that sentiment. In hindsight, I had a very young and naive view. Christianity just isn't what I grew up thinking it was.

Sorry that I wasn't very clear.  What I was taught was very different from the reality of the theology...that was the point of my comment on my naivety.  I guess it was just a personal comment (though others may come from a similar background) on growing up in a church that viewed Christianity and the Christian God as loving and kind.

I don't think that is fair.  I was very careful not to attack Christians, young earth creationists or otherwise.  

As for this board, I think you will find that you aren't alone as a young earth creationist.  There are many.  IMHO YEC-ism is a perfectly valid interpretation of the Bible.    

As for Ken Ham, I am unapologetic of my disdain for him.  I fully support YEC producing science & history books that agree with their world views.  Homeschoolers and Christian schools can educate their students as they see fit.  Answers in Genesis is free to fund & promote research in Creation Science.  BUT Ken Ham's behavior toward his fellow Christians & toward the secular/scientific community, and especially toward more moderate homeschoolers is deplorable.  Divisive is right.

Ken Ham didn't put a rainbow on the ark to inspire Christians in their faith.  He did it as an overt attack on people who disagree with him.  His intent was ugly, and in practice his message is lost in translation.

• Like 11

I, too, thought perhaps Moxie had eaten too many skittles or maybe one of her kids spilled them and she fell...

I drove by this a couple of weeks ago. And the replacement for the big butter Jesus. I didn't stop. It was during the day, so no rainbow lights.

Hijack--One night on the way to visit my grandmother, we drove by the big butter Jesus in a storm. That was the first and last time I saw it. I said, "Wow! I hope it doesn't get hit by lightning." About 20 minutes later, it was destroyed by lightning. I might be a witch.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_Kings_(statue)

• Like 9

What's wrong with being different? The herd mentality is what's wrong with the world today. I dont mind sticking out.

Anytime I put my opinion on any board here, I get made fun of or picked on. Why? I'm not controversial at all. Not confrontational or anything. I just nicely add my thoughts to everyone else's. I don't see the problem? I believe in a literal 6 day creation and a young Earth. I believe dinosaurs walked with man. And for that I'm considered unintelligent?

I want to be clear that I do not think you are unintelligent. I think you are wrong. And you think I am wrong. I'm a fan of being able to get along with people I disagree with. My closest friends are all over the political and religious spectrum.

But Ken Ham is very divisive. You either agree with him, or you are the wrong kind of Christian. And many of his followers go along with that. Living in an area where YEC is very popular and gets written into the statements of faith on homeschool organizations and churches and so on is tiresome.

• Like 16

I'm not sure about literal 6 day, I don't tend to care for Ken Ham or his materials, I think the lit ark looks pretty, the Creation Museum is fairly well done and has the salvational message throughout it (we used to live 20 miles from it, so we visited), I do believe God created the universe, I believe in micro-evolution too, but as for take back the rainbow...meh, seems like we are way past that point as a culture. Better to preach the love of Jesus and salvation -letting Him sort out others' hearts and minds as only He does best. Scripture says to be winsome. This is not.

• Like 3

Oh ouch, Moxie, you made me hurt myself, too.

I love the rainbow flag, I love its current use. It's a perfect reminder for those who maybe need to remember not to judge, and the other sentiments expressed above, but the symbolism of it goes way beyond the Christian usage - in fact, I had never considered the Christian implications. Rainbows hardly belong to Christians. I wouldn't have thought of it as a Christian symbol.

It's the only flag that DH and I have considered hanging from the flagpole that came with our house. Well, that and DC United, during soccer season. Because priorities. :D

• Like 8

I want to be clear that I do not think you are unintelligent. I think you are wrong. And you think I am wrong. I'm a fan of being able to get along with people I disagree with. My closest friends are all over the political and religious spectrum.

But Ken Ham is very divisive. You either agree with him, or you are the wrong kind of Christian. And many of his followers go along with that. Living in an area where YEC is very popular and gets written into the statements of faith on homeschool organizations and churches and so on is tiresome.

Yes!! 12 years ago, when we started, I had no issue with any Protestant SOF. And most of the Protestants had no issue with my Catholic kids.

Now, it is a totally different animal. Every SOF includes YE language. It is one of the many reasons we quit homeschooling.

• Like 3

Sorry that I wasn't very clear. What I was taught was very different from the reality of the theology...that was the point of my comment on my naivety. I guess it was just a personal comment (though others may come from a similar background) on growing up in a church that viewed Christianity and the Christian God as loving and kind.

Well that's the thing - God is loving and kind. He is also just. These aren't incompatible ;)

Personal point taken, though.

Oh ouch, Moxie, you made me hurt myself, too.

I love the rainbow flag, I love its current use. It's a perfect reminder for those who maybe need to remember not to judge, and the other sentiments expressed above, but the symbolism of it goes way beyond the Christian usage - in fact, I had never considered the Christian implications. Rainbows hardly belong to Christians. I wouldn't have thought of it as a Christian symbol.

It's the only flag that DH and I have considered hanging from the flagpole that came with our house. Well, that and DC United, during soccer season. Because priorities. :D

This! How can you "take back" something you didn't own in the first place? Rainbows are a natural phenomenon and loved by people of all kinds.

• Like 17

Ick.

When Ken Ham sold the Ark's land for $10 to his own non-profit to avoid paying taxes (ones that pay for things like, you know, fire protection for his big wooden boat) , he lost his credibility in his proclamation that he's a Christian.  He's a charlatan.  I have utter disdain for anyone who gives him money willingly.

• Like 14

Hahahaha... You are so right...

I make no judgement about IQ, but it certainly appears you are denying widely accepted science in favor of a literal interpretation of the Bible.

• Like 14

This is one of the few corners of the educated world where one must pretend walking with dinosaurs was possibly true.

YEC homeschoolers give science literate homeschoolers everywhere a bad name.

And seriously, Christians own the rainbow? Hubris, much?

Proof of concept I stated above. Sheesh.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Arguably, because it IS a non profit and funded by donations and gifts from families like mine, he also has a burden to keep the overheard as low as possible and using the tax code to minimize the amount paid is a legal strategy used by many more entities, religious and secular, than just AiG.

The land is utilized for non profit purposes, being owned by the non profit is necessary for insurance liability, tax, and title purposes. You can argue he should have sold it for fair market value but a privately held item or parcel isn't bound to that unless you're asking a bank to back it. You're painting this to be something horribly unethical but it's pretty much tax management 101 for a business or nonprofit to minimize the amount paid though any legal means necessary. If it shouldn't be used it shouldn't be legal but that's another issue entirely. PETA does the same thing, as do any number of catholic parishes. Minimizing the value of the holdings to keep overhead low is the only way to go that is responsible to the people paying for it.

It's perfectly fine to hate Ken Ham but not on the premise he did something scandalous that actually isn't at all.

NO IT IS NOT.

Or it wasn't.  It was designated a FOR PROFIT company, on the application THEY filled out for the tax tourism rebate.  Now, because they don't want to pay the equivalent of $.50 a ticket, the city has rescinded the $18M tax break they would have gotten over the years.

They are certainly not a non-profit.  Don't spout nonsense. Pretend all you want that that is what Christianity looks like but don't foist that on the rest of us.

• Like 12

Arguably, because it IS a non profit and funded by donations and gifts from families like mine, he also has a burden to keep the overheard as low as possible and using the tax code to minimize the amount paid is a legal strategy used by many more entities, religious and secular, than just AiG.

The land is utilized for non profit purposes, being owned by the non profit is necessary for insurance liability, tax, and title purposes. You can argue he should have sold it for fair market value he a privately held item or parcel isn't bound to that unless you're asking a bank to back it. You're painting this to be something horribly unethical but it's pretty much tax management 101 for a business or nonprofit to minimize the amount paid though any legal means necessary. If it shouldn't be used it shouldn't be legal but that's another issue entirely. PETA does the same thing, as do any number of catholic parishes. Minimizing the value of the holdings to keep overhead low is the only way to go that is responsible to the people paying for it.

Well except that he purposely set it up as a commercial enterprise to begin with, in order to qualify for all the $18 million dollars in financial incentives he was given by local government. Then when they tried to levy a tax of 50 cents on a $40 ticket, in order to cover the expanded services that his commercial enterprise requires, he instantly converted it to a nonprofit to avoid the tax.

Maybe he won't feel so smug about it, though, now that county lawyers have sent him a letter explaining that he's in breach of his contract and will therefore forfeit the $18 million in tax rebates he would have gotten if he'd just added 50 freaking cents to the cost of a $40 ticket. 

• Like 17

NO IT IS NOT.

Or it wasn't. It was designated a FOR PROFIT company, on the application THEY filled out for the tax tourism rebate. Now, because they don't want to pay the equivalent of $.50 a ticket, the city has rescinded the $18M tax break they would have gotten over the years.

They are certainly not a non-profit. Don't spout nonsense. Pretend all you want that that is what Christianity looks like but don't foist that on the rest of us.

Sorry you're right, though no need to yell. AiG is a non profit, but the Ark Encounter specifically is for profit to get the tax incentives - they had initially been non profit which is what I was thinking of. The Creation Museum is a non profit but the Ark Encounter isn't. My mistake, I was typing in a hurry and didn't double check. Edited by Arctic Mama

Well except that he purposely set it up as a commercial enterprise to begin with, in order to qualify for all the $18 million dollars in financial incentives he was given by local government. Then when they tried to levy a tax of 50 cents on a $40 ticket, in order to cover the expanded services that his commercial enterprise requires, he instantly converted it to a nonprofit to avoid the tax.

Maybe he won't feel so smug about it, though, now that county lawyers have sent him a letter explaining that he's in breach of his contract and will therefore forfeit the $18 million in tax rebates he would have gotten if he'd just added 50 freaking cents to the cost of a $40 ticket.

I don't think that has been resolved yet in court. We shall see. We get in free either way. I agree it would have been a better choice to allow the levy but there were some good arguments for why they didn't, since it was an addendum not previously agreed upon in the contract.

Anyway, I don't have anything else to say on the topic and am not going to defend the silly rainbow lights.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Sorry you're right, though no need to yell. AiG is a non profit, but the Ark Encounter specifically is for profit to get the tax incentives - they had initially been NP which is what j was thinking of. The Creation Museum is a non profit but the Ark Encounter isn't. My mistake, I was typing in a hurry and didn't double check.

It would have been much easier for you to read the news than to pooh-pooh my thoughts on the matter.

It still stands, loud and clear.  Ken Ham is absolutely no Christian.  He's off to profit off of God, and anyone who follows him or gives him money is nobody I respect.

• Like 8

I also believe that Ken Ham is divisive and is dismissive of those who don't believe as he does. Although AIG's statement of faith says otherwise, it and Ken Ham leave me with the notion that I need to be a literal creationist in order to be saved.  As for his materials, some I've liked and others not,   

It would have been much easier for you to read the news than to pooh-pooh my thoughts on the matter.

It still stands, loud and clear. Ken Ham is absolutely no Christian. He's off to profit off of God, and anyone who follows him or gives him money is nobody I respect.

You're being very aggressive. That lack of respect is coming through loud and clear. We will agree to disagree on him personally, as I have seen no evidence he is less Christian than any number of sinful humans who God has also saved. Being wrong doesn't mean you lose your salvation.

Continue with bashing him, by all means. I've said my bit and am done. This is never a fruitful topic on these boards and that was exactly what I was telling Megan Russell.

Pretend I'm nodding and agreeing or something along those lines.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I also believe that Ken Ham is divisive and is dismissive of those who don't believe as he does. Although AIG's statement of faith says otherwise, it and Ken Ham leave me with the notion that I need to be a literal creationist in order to be saved. 

:iagree:  And this is problematic don't you think? What happens when kids grow up and decide the science on the other side is just too compelling? Ken Ham has tied YEC with salvation so closely, made it sound like if you believe in God and Jesus, you must believe in a literal Genesis. So if you don't believe in one anymore... I guess that disproves the other.

It also gives non-Christians the easiest ammo ever. "God can't exist because obviously the universe is not ten thousand years old." It simply HAS to be a barrier to non-Christians considering Christianity. To encounter the idea that they have to throw out everything that science says about the universe in order to be a Christian.

Ken Ham takes actions I believe are driving people away from Christianity.

• Like 18

I'm all for Skittles. Except the green ones which are now green apple instead of lime which is blasphemy. Also, Skittles promosed me lime ones this summer, but I have been unable to locate them even though I have gone to several WalMarts in more than one city only to find more blasphemy.

So, yes for the rainbow as long as we're throwing the green ones in the trash.

• Like 4