Menu

Favorite scary movies?

Sixth Sense

Haunting of Hill House

The Other (this one about twin boys, one of whom is evil....)

that is about it - I do NOT do horror movies very well! I got my oldest ds all the Predator/Alien films for his b'day and I can nto be anywhere near the room while he is watching them.

The Ring, its one of my favorite movies of any genre.

I haven't seen the Other, but I read the book. I think I'll put it on Netflix. I've never thought of Sixth Sense as a scary movie, but it was really really good. M Night Shyamalan is one of my favorite movie makers.

Rob Zombie did a couple movies, one was called House of A Thousand Corpses, and it was exactly what a scary movie should be. The sequel was just plain stupid tho.

Blair Witch Project was one of the few movies that actually creeped me out.

Jaws scared the living daylights out of me when I was a kid.

The Exorcist, The Omen, and Rosemary's Baby are some of my favorites too. Also Evil Dead (the second Evil Dead was funny, intentionally even) and Night of the Living Dead.

Lost Highway is not your typical scary movie, I don't even know if it would be called such, but its seriously creepy.

Pumpkinhead is good, so is the original Wicker Man. And Hellraiser - Pinhead was cool!

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

Pan's Labyrinth

The Fourth Man

The City of Lost Children

Diabolique

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Rosemary's Baby

28 Days later

Sixth Sense

Alien

The Shinning

Kwaidan

Altered States

American Werewolf in London

Manhunter & Silence of the Lambs

Cat People

Eraserhead

The Night of the Hunter

The Others

The Vanishing

With a Friend Like Harry

And many more....

oooOOOooo I LOVE scary movies! :D

Resident Evil 1 and 3 [skip the 2nd one]

28 Days Later

Aliens [the first and second one]

Saw [the first one only]

Poltergeist [they're heeeeeeeeeeeere]

Cujo

The Thing

Hellraiser [the first one]

Silent Hill

Exorcist

I am sure there are many more but those are my top 10 or so.

This is the most difficult list I have ever had to compile, but here are a few that I really enjoy

Silent Hiill

Dawn of the Dead (either version)

The Descent

Jeepers Creepers (I remember leaving the movie theater and a woman was crying scared)

House of 1000 Corpses (I didn't know there was a sequel!)

Bug scared the hell out of me, but not because it was scary in the same way the other ones were. It was not a horror movie, at all, just scary.

I loved Pan's Labyrinth, but it was too serious of a movie for me to lump into a scary movie.

The Howling

Halloween (the original)

The Grudge

The Legend of Hell House (Roddy McDowell version!)

The Sixth Sense

Ghost Ship

The Thing

The Shining

Many more (I'm a horror movie buff!) but those are in the top rank IMHO. Some of the ones mentioned I haven't seen in ages but are so good, I'll have to add a few to my Netflix queue. Salem's Lot to start with... that movie freaked me out as a kid!!

The Sixth Sense

Pan's Labrinth (which I watched once and I'm not sure if I'll ever be brave enough to watch again).

The Ring

Butterfly Effect (not sure if this qualifies as a scary movie, but it did creep me out)

Oh, I forgot about the Butterfly Effect. I liked that one, too. I know some people didn't, but I did.

And another question similarly related.

Dd, who'll be 13 next month, has been begging me to watch scary movies. I'm trying to find some scary movies that aren't too terrifying for her. She watched The Eye recently and now wants to watch all the scary movies she can. I usually check out the ratings on commonsensemedia.org but her scary movie choices are very limited.

The Exorcist is my all-time favorite scary movie, but there's no way I'll let her watch that yet. I don't remember when I first saw it though. I plan to watch the movies with her but am struggling between which ones to let her watch yet. I'm thinking about letting her watch Cloverfield.

I recently watched The Happening and didn't think it was that scary. There were some gory parts, but I didn't think it was terribly suspenseful. I did think that old lady did a good job of being scary. Wasn't she Abby on Eight is Enough? I also had to laugh about the scene with the cookie because it reminded me of the thread here about the girl who didn't get a cookie. NO COOKIE FOR YOU!!! :D

She loves The Mummy and The Mummy Returns. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Stacey

Oh, I forgot about the Butterfly Effect. I liked that one, too. I know some people didn't, but I did.

And another question similarly related.

Dd, who'll be 13 next month, has been begging me to watch scary movies. I'm trying to find some scary movies that aren't too terrifying for her. She watched The Eye recently and now wants to watch all the scary movies she can. I usually check out the ratings on commonsensemedia.org but her scary movie choices are very limited.

The Exorcist is my all-time favorite scary movie, but there's no way I'll let her watch that yet. I don't remember when I first saw it though. I plan to watch the movies with her but am struggling between which ones to let her watch yet. I'm thinking about letting her watch Cloverfield.

I recently watched The Happening and didn't think it was that scary. There were some gory parts, but I didn't think it was terribly suspenseful. I did think that old lady did a good job of being scary. Wasn't she Abby on Eight is Enough? I also had to laugh about the scene with the cookie because it reminded me of the thread here about the girl who didn't get a cookie. NO COOKIE FOR YOU!!! :D

She loves The Mummy and The Mummy Returns. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Stacey

Has she seen Signs? My kids thought that was creepy. My DD (who just turned 14) saw Cloverfield. She said it was "cool". She's not here for me to get more specifics.

My list:

Salem's Lot (original movie)

The Shining (both, although I thought the 4 hours mini-series with Steven Weber was a little creepier than the original)

Rose Red

Kingdom Hospital (I know, TV, but still creepy)

Signs

The Others (with Nicole Kidman)

What Lies Beneath

Storm of the Century

The Thing

Final Destination

Aliens

Dracula (I can't remember which version, early 1980s, white lady - very creepy)

These are the ones that come to mind now.

Guest janainaz

Misery

The Jagged Edge

Sleeping With the Enemy

King Kong - the new one

Aliens

Cape Fear

Stranger in the House

The Lost Boys

Silence of the Lambs

The Stepfather - this is the WORST!

OK. 12yo scary. That means no nudity, minimal language and not too ridiculously scary, yes?

Dead Silence

Darkness Falls

Pet Semetary

13 ghosts

Evil Dead II

[rec] (which was just released as Quarantine here in the states)

The Grudge

Final Destination 1, 2, 3 (not scary, but still fun)

Resident Evil

May

The Stuff

Every horror movie that SciFi shows seems to also fall into a similar category. Especially movies like Anaconda, or Bats! or other creature movies.

Have fun!

I've loved horror movies since watching Halloween (the original) on HBO when you had to change the channels by pushing those white buttons. I made my Dad check my closets (I had 2), under my bed, outside, and the attic. He said "You'll never watch another horror movie" and I watched as many as I could from that moment on.

The Shining (the original, it never should have been remade)

Halloween

Scream

Ghost Story

What's that movie where people compete to win a suitcase of cash....?

Saw I

Final Destination

Psycho

Silence of the Lambs

Dawn of the Dead (new and old versions - loved them both)

The Happening was a dud.

Totally agree with you there! We rented this last week, and we were laughing out loud at some parts.

The "Why are you eyeing my lemon drink?" line had me in tears, I was laughing so hard. Worst movie I've seen in awhile. (Though it's fun to watch bad movies sometimes.) :lol:

• 11 months later...

I *love* 28 Days Later. The Alien movies are also favorites here. I don't usually do just plain old scary/horror films, though. Usually there is some sci-fi aspect. I thought Sunshine was pretty good and suspenseful. Then there are the old classics, but those are hardly "scary" compared to today's movies! LOL

I have never been a big fan of scary movies (I'm a big chicken, LOL), but after seeing The Ring, I was completely DONE. That did it for me, no more scary movies. Ever. I went to the movies to see it, and ended up crying and begging my husband to get me out of there. He just laughed it off, though, so I ended up sitting through it with my face covered. I think that one really got to me because (well, besides the obvious reasons) she was trying to protect her son. It wasn't just some serial killer out there hacking up random people, she was trying to keep her little boy alive. :crying:

I still enjoy a ghost story now and then, though. I like The Sixth Sense, The Others (Nicole Kidman), What Lies Beneath, and Stir of Echoes. I know they've already been mentioned, but wanted to throw them out there again. I like vampire movies, too, if they're not too gross. :001_smile:

My DS still likes to watch the Goosebumps DVD's. I've also let him watch a few of the ones that I remember seeing when I was a kid. We have Gremlins on DVD, and like to watch Cujo when it comes on television. I think he has watched War of the Worlds with my dad, too, (the one with Tom Cruise). He wants to watch stuff that's scarier than that, but I'm not sure what I should let him see since I haven't seen many of them myself. :confused:

As for the girls, they usually stick with the Disney Channel stuff. We all love Hocus Pocus (with Bette Midler). They like those Twitches and Halloweentown movies, but I was barely able to get through those the first time we saw them. :lol:

Ooh, and I can't forget to mention The Witches (with Anjelica Huston, based on the book by Roald Dahl).

I've loved just about all that were previously mentioned. Other favorites of mine have been:

Quarantine

THE Final Destination (4th one in 3D)

Hostel (1 & 2)

Mirrors

Halloween (the new one, 2007)

30 Days of Night

All the Saw movies

And I can't wait to see Paranormal Activity!

I don't like gore, I tend to like movies that are more psychological or suspenseful. My favorite scary movies:

The Haunting (the 1963 version)

The Shining (the 1980 version)

The Changeling

American Werewolf in London (cheesy AND scary)

The Thing

Shaun of the Dead (more funny than scary but a great Halloween choice)

I like several of the ones already mentioned repeatedly: The Sixth Sense, Stir of Echoes, What Lies Beneath (my tub was huge when I saw this! scary!), The Others.