Menu

Medical WWYD

SquirrellyMama

So, I pick my dd16 up from work, and she tells me she might have a broken nose. A child jumped on her face in the pool after jumping off a diving board.

Ok, it's puffy, but not ungodly swollen. It's not super purple or anything. She said her neck hurts, sensitive to light, eyes hurt when moved. She gets dizzy when she bends over.

She worked for 4 hours like this, so I wonder if I'm over-reacting.

I made a Dr appt for her, but wondering if they are going to look at me like I'm crazy for coming.

She has conference swimming on Saturday :( She was supposed to dance for a 4H event tonight. That isn't happening since she is dizzy.

It's also insanely hot and humid so, some of this could be related to dehydration. Having her hydrate now.

Does anyone else worry this much about having the doctor's office think your nuts?

Kelly

Edited by SquirrellyMama

If it was a work injury and she's an employee and not an independent contractor, you need to call her supervisor. There may be somewhere specific she should go to have this covered by workers' compensation. When the doctor/ER takes the history and notes that it is a work accident, your insurance company can refuse payment for the injury. It's easier to have things covered by the correct insurance from the beginning than it is to try and backtrack later. :)

• Like 18

If it was a work injury and she's an employee and not an independent contractor, you need to call her supervisor. There may be somewhere specific she should go to have this covered by workers' compensation. When the doctor/ER takes the history and notes that it is a work accident, your insurance company can refuse payment for the injury. It's easier to have things covered by the correct insurance from the beginning than it is to try and backtrack later. :)

:iagree:   She needs to be seen and the employer needs to be informed.

• Like 7

I hadn't thought about that.

Kelly

• Like 1

Why? I've gotten the "you're over reacting" vibes from the office before.

I'm taking her in, just needed some reassurance that I'm not over-reacting.

Kelly

You're definitely not over-reacting! I think she needs to be seen right away, too! I'm very concerned about her symptoms, and if the doctor isn't, it's time to find a new doctor.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 3

BTDT. Concussion is definitely a possibility and should be taken seriously. Concussion protocols are pretty staut these days, and you might want to bypass the doctor and see the ER because trauma docs are often more informed than GP's when it comes to potential head injuries.

• Like 3

And make sure she knows, in future should something like this happen, she needs to speak up to a supervisor right away, insist on calling you, and not just tough it out the rest of her shift.

I just did, and her supervisor knew. She suggested a doctor visit, but kept her at work.

Kelly

• Like 2

Absolutely the right thing to do and notify the supervisor ASAP that she is going to the doctor to get checked out.  They may need specific information documented and the sooner you notify them (as in now, before the appointment), the more likely that her employer will believe that it was an On the job injury. 

This should not go to your private insurance, it is a work related injury and needs to be reported as such. 

• Like 1

Why? I've gotten the "you're over reacting" vibes from the office before.

I'm taking her in, just needed some reassurance that I'm not over-reacting.

Kelly

Forget about whether he/she suspects you are over reacting. Your dd is reporting symptoms that could indicate a concussion, amongst other things. Even if your doctor thinks you are an over-reactive hysteric, he/she will still want to do a basic CYA exam, and will be paid to do so. You get what you/dd needs, doctor gets paid.

Maybe he/she thinks you are a overreacting. Maybe you think he/she is incompetent. I suspect he/she doesn't worry a lot about what you think of him/her. Don't let yourself be affected by that kind of concern yourself.

Edited by Danestress
  • Like 1

She's ok, just swollen and sore. She can't work for a couple days. She has an excuse to recline and be in the air conditioning.

We saw the Nurse Practitioner. She was very nice, and didn't think I was over-reacting. These things always seem to happen before events. Why is that?

Kelly

• Like 4

She's ok, just swollen and sore. She can't work for a couple days. She has an excuse to recline and be in the air conditioning.

We saw the Nurse Practitioner. She was very nice, and didn't think I was over-reacting. These things always seem to happen before events. Why is that?

Kelly

Eye pain and dizziness are not typical of a general head bump. She she receive any scans?

• Like 6

Eye pain and dizziness are not typical of a general head bump. She she receive any scans?

It was a nose and under her eye bump, so I think the eye pain is probably normal. I was worried about dizziness, but it was also 117 degrees here today. She worked outside, so I'm thinking the dizziness was more a dehydration issue. 

The swelling is down today, but she still hurts. She has some bruising around her eyes which is normal for a nose injury. 

Kelly

Take her to the ER.  I've had a severe concussion from a nose injury. The ER is the only place equipped to deal with complications.  An actual ER, not one of those new corner places not attached to a hospital.

nevermind, I see she saw someone at least.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1