Menu

World Geography Curriculum

We are searching for a new World Geography curriculum to use at our co-op.  Is there anything you have used in the past that you just loved (or really disliked)?  What were the various aspects that your kid(s) enjoyed/disliked?  We are hoping to find something that touches on culture/etiquette...

Thank you for any input you might have!

Edited by wilsonx6

• 2 weeks later...

I am teaching this at our co op and I literally made up the whole course as I have never found any good curriculum. I tried a few things with my own kids and eventually also made that up. I use a lot of video and google street view and I get in some speakers from other countries. I do focus a lot on culture. I found some good Ted talks I use. Also some podcasts. And a few games that are great. I do it as a blended class - one hour live at co op and then 3 hours online where they work through assignments in a virtual classroom.

• Like 1

We have used Around the World in 180 Days and PAC World Geography.  Both have pluses and minuses.  Around the World in 180 Days has more atlas work and research. Youngest dd loved it!  It would be a good group project.  PAC is more straightforward, read/lecture, fill in blank style

I am teaching this at our co op and I literally made up the whole course as I have never found any good curriculum. I tried a few things with my own kids and eventually also made that up. I use a lot of video and google street view and I get in some speakers from other countries. I do focus a lot on culture. I found some good Ted talks I use. Also some podcasts. And a few games that are great. I do it as a blended class - one hour live at co op and then 3 hours online where they work through assignments in a virtual classroom.

Can you share which TED talks and podcasts you used?

Thanks!

Alley

• Like 1

Can you share which TED talks and podcasts you used?

Thanks!

Alley

I remember using one by an ex-Nigerian foreign minister about why aid to Africa isn't a good idea. That was the TEd talk. And then I used podcasts from Planet Money where they trace the manufacture of their tshirt around the world. I used the part from Bangladesh. 

Not sure they will make sense unless you are creating a similar "story" to what I am - but you are sure to find other things that will work for your lessons. It takes longer finding everything but my students love it and they come away with a better understanding of the world. In the 4 weeks we cover Africa I weave through all 4 weeks the idea that the West should be more careful about aid. They listen to that TED talk, look at a case study where aid failed miserably, look at another where it was successful and finish up by investigating charities in Africa. But they also learn about a variety of African countries and the cultures and they learn the basic geography. 

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter just finished North Star Geography from Bright Ideas Press and we loved it.  She loved it and still talks about all she learned. I thought it was a well-balanced program, easy to use for her and thorough in what it covered.  It asked thought provoking research questions that she had to dig for.  Highly recommended.