Menu

Need Algebra 1 suggestions for my 8th grader

My daughter does very well in every subject and is advanced in all but math. She is at level in Math, but ahead in Science. She wants to go to vet school in the future and is starting Biology as an 8th grader. The coop we're in won't allow her into Chemistry as a 9th grader unless she is has taken or is taking Algebra 2. So, we are speeding through Pre-Algebra this summer to try and prepare her for Algebra 1 in 8th grade. My dilemma is that I want her to enjoy Math like she does everything else, and I want her to have a thorough understanding of Algebra 1 before moving on to Algebra 2 while not holding her back in her sciences. She did BJU for a few years and hated it (did well in it, just hated how time consuming it was). Last year I switched her to CLE and it worked better, but she still doesn't enjoy math. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe something online for a change might help???

If you can afford and are willing to do an online class, Jan at My Homeschool Math Class gets rave reviews for students who aren't lovers of math/don't consider themselves mathy. I have no experience with her classes, but have never seen an unflattering review.

• Like 2

We love Mr. D. Math.   He has live online classes, live co-op classes (in just a few locations), or you can use his curriculum at your own pace.

As an alternative, rather than speeding up her math progression, have you considered adding an additional science for 9th grade instead of Chemistry?   Anatomy & Physiology would flow nicely after finishing Biology and would fit her goal of going to vet school.   She'd still have time to do Chemistry in 10th, Physics in 11th, then an advanced science in 12th.   (Just throwing this out as a suggestion.  My DS is ahead a year of what's typical here and he will be taking two science courses outside the typical bio-chem-physics sequence this year.)

• Like 2

We have been thrilled with Jann's Alg2 class!  My son went from not liking math and viewing it as a drudgery to enjoying it so much that he is considering both Engineering and Business majors because he wants to be able to *use* math in his career. And he went from Bs in Alg1 and Geometry to an A in Alg2. He'll be using mhsmc again for Pre-Calc next year and he is looking forward to it!

However. I think that SebastianCat's idea about a different science for 9th grade is a good one. It would give your daughter time to take Geometry as well give her that extra year to let those Algebra concepts gel.

• Like 1

Another good course is by Live Online Math. We didn't end up taking it, because it is out on the West Coast and the timing didn't work for us, but my daughter took few classes as a trial and said that the teacher Joh Bovey was very thorough and had every student involved. They are also quite inexpensive.

• Like 1

We are in the same boat. DD is not a mathy-sort and we painstakingly slogged our way through Pre-A this past year to get us up to speed for Alg I in 8th grade. We were teaching Dolciani Pre-A at home - but we are outsourcing for the first time for Alg I to Jann in TX's MyHomeschoolMathClass. I've read all the reviews and I think it's the best fit for my non-math loving daughter to help her feel confident with math and excel. We're excited about it!

Edited by mirabillis
  • Like 2