Menu

My Mom with Dementia is Missing

goldberry

UPDATE:  Police have found her safe and my dad is heading over to get her.  I need to go have a drink now...   :sad: 

Positive thoughts please... I'm just sitting here a nervous wreck.  My mom (lives in another state) was gone this morning with her car when my dad got up at 6 am.  Her debit card was used locally at 7 pm.  It was used 2 hours ago in a town she's never been to, about 1.5 hours south of where they live. She does not have a phone with her.  My dad is going to the bank with the police to give them real-time access to her card activity.  He is also worried someone may have taken her purse.

The police won't issue a Silver Alert until they can verify her dementia diagnosis with her doctor, who is closed for lunch right now.  ??

Ugh.  Just trying not to panic.

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 3

Positive thoughts please... I'm just sitting here a nervous wreck.  My mom (lives in another state) was gone this morning with her car when my dad got up at 6 am.  Her debit card was used locally at 7 pm.  It was used 2 hours ago in a town she's never been to, about 1.5 hours south of where they live. She does not have a phone with her.  My dad is going to the bank with the police to give them real-time access to her card activity.  He is also worried someone may have taken her purse.

The police won't issue a Silver Alert until they can verify her dementia diagnosis with her doctor, who is closed for lunch right now.  ??

Ugh.  Just trying not to panic.

The doctor needs to be paged for an emergency then if they can or would a local hospital have any dementia related records on her?  Hopefully she is found safely soon. 

• Like 7

I have my fingers crossed, and I just prayed, that they find your mother OK.   I am puzzled, since the thread title says that she has Dementia, why and how she was still driving, etc.  When I read the thread title, I assumed that she had wandered off from the house and wondered if she had a GPS thing on her so they could locate her.  

• Like 1

I have my fingers crossed, and I just prayed, that they find your mother OK.   I am puzzled, since the thread title says that she has Dementia, why and how she was still driving, etc.  When I read the thread title, I assumed that she had wandered off from the house and wondered if she had a GPS thing on her so they could locate her.  

She wasn't as bad previously.  She was at the point where she only drove during the day when my dad was home, to the local Kroger or Walgreens that she has gone to for 40 years.  Those are both about 5 minutes away.  She did not drive after dark, or anywhere else besides those two places.  Occasionally to my sister's house, also about 5 minutes away.  SUPPOSEDLY my dad was putting her car keys away at night, precisely to avoid this kind of situation.  Obviously he either did not put the keys away or she found them somehow.  

We had talked to my dad and the doctor about whether she should be driving, but he felt that she was still okay within those parameters. The doctor agreed.  That's the problem though, how do you know when they are not okay within those parameters anymore until something happens?  We will obviously be having some conversations.

The police just confirmed that it was her using the card at the last place, so that's good news.  The police are being very helpful.

• Like 11

Praying that they find her safely and quickly.

Also praying that the conversation about getting her into a safer situation:  either a GPS unit of some sort or a locked memory care unit in a licensed nursing home (not assisted living) goes well.

• Like 3

She wasn't as bad previously.  She was at the point where she only drove during the day when my dad was home, to the local Kroger or Walgreens that she has gone to for 40 years.  Those are both about 5 minutes away.  She did not drive after dark, or anywhere else besides those two places.  Occasionally to my sister's house, also about 5 minutes away.  SUPPOSEDLY my dad was putting her car keys away at night, precisely to avoid this kind of situation.  Obviously he either did not put the keys away or she found them somehow.  

We had talked to my dad and the doctor about whether she should be driving, but he felt that she was still okay within those parameters. The doctor agreed.  That's the problem though, how do you know when they are not okay within those parameters anymore until something happens?  We will obviously be having some conversations.

The police just confirmed that it was her using the card at the last place, so that's good news.  The police are being very helpful.

Hopefully the police can get the silver alert out to the towns on the route she seems to be taking.  If not, start contacting the news stations yourself to try to get ahead of her.

• Like 1