Menu

Tablets

Elizabeth86

I'm going to start this by saying please pardon my ignorance when it comes to technology. I just really am clueless.

So my 5 year old has one of those vtech tablets from when he was smaller he has pretty much outgrown. My 4 year old has the little kid tablet leap frog platinum. Its more fun, but the first one we got came not working and niw part of the screen is broken. Since they are getting older I was thinking about getting a real tablet for the family. Just something for then to watch videos and play games on in the car. All I really know about is ipad, but are there cheaper options that would be good to? Im not sure really what they all do or dont do. Help me out, what do I need and how much do they cost?

Kindle Fire. The kids' version comes with a really good case and replacement policy, or buy the base ones and get a good case. They're usually on sale on Black Friday. Many schools here have BYOD policies, so I buy some on Prime day and Black Friday to donate to charities.https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01J90MSDS/ref=fs_ods_tab_ket2pk

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 2

Kindle Fire. The kids' version comes with a really good case and replacement policy, or buy the base ones and get a good case. They're usually on sale on Black Friday. Many schools here have BYOD policies, so I buy some on Prime day and Black Friday to donate to charities.https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01J90MSDS/ref=fs_ods_tab_ket2pk

Agreed. I had a Kindle Fire and didn't like it, and I'm usually an Amazon fan (I love my Kindle ereader). For adults the Fire seems to be lacking*.

However, it's great for kids. The cases they market for kids who use the Fire are sturdy, and you can set all kinds of parental controls, including time limits. My niece's 9yo twins each have one that their paternal grandparents gave them. Some of their homework is done online, and rather than her having to let them use her computer they can do it on their Kindle Fires. And the price is right - so much cheaper than the iPad and cheaper than other Android based tablets. 

*If you're an adult who loves your Kindle Fire, that's great. I'm not saying you shouldn't like it. I just found that it couldn't do all I wanted it to do, and some of that was because of choices Amazon made. I ended up getting an inexpensive Galaxy tablet and use it much more than I used my Fire.

Both of my DDs recently got the Kindle Fire HD (snagged one the other day for 50.00 during the prime sale thing). They somehow figured out how to put Google Play on them so they can pretty much use them just like any other tablet.