Menu

Update in OP: Now this is OK? PSA: Flying to the USA? Check to see if laptops and tablets can go in cabin

Lanny

UPDATE (18 July 2017)   Now, on the web site of the major Cali newspaper, they have an updated article and apparently this will be OK from Colombia. However, they are gong to implement new safety regulations  beginning tomorrow that will be more strict.    Good news for those who want to bring their laptops and tablets in the cabin with them!

http://www.elpais.com.co/colombia/aeronautica-aclara-que-no-se-prohibira-llevar-tabletas-y-portatiles-en-vuelos-hacia-ee-uu.html

End of Update.

XXXXXXX

If you are flying to the USA, from a Foreign country, check with your airline, to see if you can take laptops and tablets in the cabin with you, or if they must be in checked luggage.  The web site of our major local newspaper has an article this morning (the URL below is in Spanish), that beginning tomorrow, 19 July 2017, flights from Colombia to the USA will need to have Laptops and Tablets in checked luggage. 

Probably Colombia is NOT the only country that is being added to the list of countries this applies to! 

http://www.elpais.com.co/colombia/en-vuelos-hacia-ee-uu-se-prohibira-llevar-tabletas-y-portatiles-en-equipaje-de-mano.html

Edited by Lanny

Thank you! We kept hearing it might happen but I hadn't seen anything since late May, and nothing ever indicated it was definitely taking effect. Good to know as it will effect dh. He's going to be bummed!

I can't read a word of spanish but I don't see how this can be. I would think any business traveler would need a laptop and if that was the case, are they really going to make them all check it? Are there going to be special provisions made so that it would be more secure then normal luggage? I one time had a chess set crushed because it was in a checked bag. Is everyone going to have to get cheap cheap laptops so that they can be crushed after being checked? This seems really odd!

• Like 1

This is because the Radical Islamic Terrorists have explosives that cannot be detected.  Until now, it has only applied to flights from a few airports, but if Colombia, an ally of the USA, has been added to the list, I assume that the ban has also been applied to many other countries now.  Apparently, the quantity of the explosives required is more than can be put into a cell phone, so they are still permitting cell phones inside the passenger cabin of the aircraft.

• Like 1

I can't read a word of spanish but I don't see how this can be. I would think any business traveler would need a laptop and if that was the case, are they really going to make them all check it? Are there going to be special provisions made so that it would be more secure then normal luggage? I one time had a chess set crushed because it was in a checked bag. Is everyone going to have to get cheap cheap laptops so that they can be crushed after being checked? This seems really odd!

Yes.  I doubt they'll do anything differently for checked luggage.  Credible threat and all.  It does sound like this actually has more reason behind it than removing shoes at security, so at least there's that.

• Like 1

Are you not aware that a laptop ban for cabins has been in effect for several months now for flights originating from several middle eastern countries?

It is a huge PITA.

ETA: And yes, I assume some travelers will get extra travel laptops to minimize risk. I read Saudi Airlines takes excellent care of the laptops, packaging them separately upon checking. Not sure about others.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

Are you not aware that a laptop ban for cabins has been in effect for several months now for flights originating from several middle eastern countries?

It is a huge PITA.

ETA: And yes, I assume some travelers will get extra travel laptops to minimize risk. I read Saudi Airlines takes excellent care of the laptops, packaging them separately upon checking. Not sure about others.

I have a childhood friend who travels extensively, domestically within the USA, and internationally. He has an old Laptop that he takes with him when he travels.  

We do not have the money to travel very often, but when we do, I take my Backup Laptop.  I try to keep it up-to-date and it has the majority of the programs I have on this, my Primary Laptop.

My guess is that when this goes into effect, tomorrow, there will be a huge amount of confusion, but after awhile, the airlines and the passengers will know how to do this and it will seem "normal".

• Like 1