Menu

What to use for Earth Science and Entomology?

I've searched a little but there's not much on the boards.  So far I'm considering Earth Science Daybook.  We did Elemental last year and I was not impressed with it and ds didn't like it.  I would really like to stay away from a christian curriculum. 

I may have found a little six week study for Entomology on TPT that might satisfy him.  This is probably one I'm going to have to piece together, huh? 

We like The Practical Entomologist by Rick Imes.

Home Science Tools has collecting equipment and display boxes. Don't skimp on boxes, Jmho.

A good field guide, or more than one.

Check out Acorn Naturalists.

http://www.acornnaturalists.com

The Boy Scout merit badge pamphlet on insects has some good projects.

https://www.elsinga.net/downloads/merit/Insect%20Study%20Merit%20Badge%20Pamphlet%2035911.pdf

Pet Bugs

More Pet Bugs

Insect Lore sells kits for raising butterflies, lady Bugs, and mantises.

Don't forget an ant farm

Rainbow Resource always has good ideas.

ETA

This series is for younger kids, but, as an adult, I found it helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/Classifying-Insects-Living-Things/dp/1403408491/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500345287&sr=8-1&keywords=Classifying+insects

Oh, and don't forget to see if any museums in your area have insect displays. Agricultural fairs may have beekeeping demos and lectures.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For earth science, we are using the BSA merit badge requirements for Geology, Astronomy, Oceanography, and Meteorology. The requirements are very in depth and we will supplement it with Carson Dellosa workbooks. There is no much work involved that we are calling it an honors course.

• Like 1

For earth science, we are using the BSA merit badge requirements for Geology, Astronomy, Oceanography, and Meteorology. The requirements are very in depth and we will supplement it with Carson Dellosa workbooks. There is no much work involved that we are calling it an honors course.

I am a big fan of the BSA mb books too. The projects are so well designed. We also liked Environmental Science, Forestry, and

Soil and Water Conservation.

Here's what we did for Entomology http://makingmusicwithkids.blogspot.com/2016/01/homeschool-entomology-resources.html

Possibly more than you want-the framework for this was a college syllabus, and we had a college bio prof who was teaching Entomology as a resource.

Amazing list of resources.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How did you use them? I am having issues really getting started with them.

I am a big fan of the BSA mb books too. The projects are so well designed. We also liked Environmental Science, Forestry, and

Soil and Water Conservation.

Amazing list of resources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did you use them? I am having issues really getting started with them.

Not quite sure what you are asking. Ds is a Boy Scout, so he used the book, supplemented by Internet, and wrote out answers to all the questions. He used worksheets from us scouting service project, but you don't need to do that. Btw, many scouts wait to go to camp and have the info spoon fed to them. :-(

http://usscouts.org/advancementTOC.asp

Just do one requirement at a time until you understand it. Jmho.

For example, soil conservation requirement 9d. I helped Ds find a detailed, online soil study of our state -- or maybe it was the county. He used the map to learn soil symbols; the text that went along with the survey explained the soil types. It was interesting to look at our own property. But, for the requirement, Ds drew a map of his high school, because there were a lot of different soil types right there.

That's what I like about the mb books, they bring the subject right to where you are and offer some simple 'fieldwork,' no expensive equipment required.

Edited by Alessandra

We don't get the camp option but my daughter loves the manuals and handbook. She is a Girl Scout but none of her badges are as involved. I am attempting to make them work for earth science this year. I have an idea but still can't put words to my vision but thanks.

Not quite sure what you are asking. Ds is a Boy Scout, so he used the book, supplemented by Internet, and wrote out answers to all the questions. He used worksheets from us scouting service project, but you don't need to do that. Btw, many scouts wait to go to camp and have the info spoon fed to them. :-(

Just do one requirement at a time until you understand it. Jmho.

We don't get the camp option but my daughter loves the manuals and handbook. She is a Girl Scout but none of her badges are as involved. I am attempting to make them work for earth science this year. I have an idea but still can't put words to my vision but thanks.

My dd is a Girl Scout and loves the mb books too!