Menu

dog injury that comes and goes?

AngieW in Texas

I don't know what is up with my dog. She is almost 4yo. We think she's a golden retriever/rottweiler mix.

Her favorite thing in the world is to chase after a toy and retrieve it. Any toy. For as long as you are willing to keep throwing it. And then she still wants more.

Several times while throwing the toy for her, she has gotten the toy and then yelped. After yelping, she comes back to me on three legs (it's always one of the back legs that is hurt). Within one minute, she has that leg back down on the ground and is running across the yard asking me to throw the toy again. She'll keep on retrieving for a while after that, showing no sign at all that there was any injury.

I don't know what is happening here unless she is possibly dislocating and then it slips back in? I wonder about this because of the connective tissue disorder that my 19yo has that causes dislocations multiple times each day. You cannot visibly tell when it has happened. If this is happening with my dog, then she wouldn't actually be able to tell me.

Any ideas about what is happening? This has been going on for a while. It doesn't happen every day, but it does happen about 2x/month. We have been to the vet a couple of times since this started happening, but it was never soon enough after it that I remembered to mention it to the vet.

Angie, we have a golden and shepherd mix here.  She is so, so sweet.  Our dog loves to play a sort of hide and seek with us outside more than retrieve toys. This game involves running at top notch speed and also darting around and between us.  She makes quick turns too.  It is a fun game. Often, when we are all playing, she'll yelp and start to limp.  It seems like she steps on something sharp, but when we check the paw on the hurt leg, there is never anything there.  We do give her meds for her hips because she has a little arthritis in them, so I guess she could be hurting them somehow.  When she yelps like this, it is a mystery figuring out what caused her pain.  I think she is about 4-5 years old, so not terribly old yet.  She has a lot of play in her still. 

Our dog usually recovers fairly quickly.  She definitely goes through something quick and painful that causes a limp, but it only lasts maybe about 10-20 minutes.  

I don't think this is much help, but thought I would commiserate with you and bump your question back up. 

I agree it sounds like a luxating patella, but with those breeds I'd also be thinking hips. My experience with dogs with hip dysplasia is that . . .something . . . can bother them/come and go like that, especially in the early stages. If you watch her from behind when she runs do her rear legs look like a rabbit hopping? That's one indication of HD.