Menu
ATTENTION: Forums search will not work until re-indexing is completed. Please follow these instructions for search

What's with the ads?

KungFuPanda

I cleaned my basement! Where's my medal?

I finished cleaning my basement today! (Not really, bear with me.) Over the last week I've probably spent 15-20 hours down there. I have about four to go. This is an unfinished basement with a path to the washing machine and a path to the breaker box. It wasn't pretty. I have touched everything, organized the shelves, and have generated more bags of trash than I care to admit. The "goodwill" pile is mid-washing-process. The "yard sale" pile is in stacking bins. Even if it takes years to actually HAVE a yard sale, it only occupies 2 sq ft of floor space. Trash and recycling are staged and ready to haul up in waves. My basement is now half laundry/storage and half empty. The empty space is bigger than any room in my house, and our rooms aren't tiny.

This has been on my to-do list for SEVERAL summers running. I haven't purged since the Girl Scouts did a yard sale to benefit the Tsunami victims! That's over a decade! My kids are old enough that they no longer care if I toss a plastic car or ratty doll. I'm not a hoarder, just a procrastinator so I have no problem tossing stuff.

The stuff DH has to go through is together on two and a half shelves. He can likely reduce it to one painlessly. Once I get him to do his part all that's left is to give it a good scrub and decide what to do with my newfound space. This is WAY better than when I Konmari'd my drawers.

• Like 18

Way to go! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

I am still in the middle of my basement, wondering why on earth I'm unpacking things like a jar with a screw in it. :glare: I have 3 more boxes to go and I'll be DONE!

• Like 1

I think you're just supposed to have joy now.

😄

• Like 2

:party:

You deserve a medal! I don't know the BB code for the medal smilie, unfortunately, so this will just have to do.

• Like 1

Thank you! Thank you! ::pageant wave::

To those of you just starting on your own long-overdue basement clean-up, please know that dreading it was actually worse than doing it.

• Like 3

I dub thee, Kung Foo the Brave!

Now, we just bought a new bed, and had to move the old one out. Didn't realize that it had apparently been a century or two since it was last moved and cleaned under, thus I think that I should either be chastised for my poor housekeeping or be given some sort of promotion for "Going where no man has gone before!"

• Like 3

Way to go! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

I am still in the middle of my basement, wondering why on earth I'm unpacking things like a jar with a screw in it. :glare: I have 3 more boxes to go and I'll be DONE!

This cracked me up!  I've been picking a few things that I'm wondering what the heck they even are -- LOL!!!

• Like 2

I dub thee, Kung Foo the Brave!

Now, we just bought a new bed, and had to move the old one out. Didn't realize that it had apparently been a century or two since it was last moved and cleaned under, thus I think that I should either be chastised for my poor housekeeping or be given some sort of promotion for "Going where no man has gone before!"

You are a pioneer!!!

I am so inspired. Thanks!

Someone on this board posted a link to an organizing book for people with ADHD. Ok, so I admit to skimming, but it inspired me enough to do the job so it was worth every penny.

This cracked me up!  I've been picking a few things that I'm wondering what the heck they even are -- LOL!!!

I found boxes we never unpacked. We moved in when DS was one. He's 17 next week. I busted into dd20s room today and asked if she wanted to keep her teething ring. I think I'm hysterical.

• Like 1