Menu

Where to buy classics that are NOT micro sized print?

Um_2_4

So I need actual physical books, not ebooks, as I want DS13 to highlight, note etc. And he prefers actual physical books. 

I ordered 20,000 leagues under the sea. The font is so tiny, he would need a magnifying glass.

Most copies  I look at on Amazon are that way.

I need the following books:

Lord of the flies

20,000 leagues under the sea

Oliver Twist

Count of Monte Cristo

I want the full versions, not abridged. Does anyone have a publisher they have found that they like??? I know they probably do this to make the book look smaller, but I rather double the pages and have text that doesn't look like it is running together. 

Barnes and Noble prints classics in a fairly standard format.  If you have a store near you, you should be able to see them.  Also, the Norton Critical Editions tend to have a slightly bigger format.  

Also, you can look for illustrated versions as these will frequently have bigger fonts.

And as a last resort, you can look at the dimensions of several versions of the same book.  Anything really small in any dimension is likely to have small print.

Anything that has a name like "budget edition" usually has tiny pages and tiny letters.

• Like 2

I look specifically for "large print books". 

As an aside, I have noticed that font gets smaller as the book gets older and newer editions are released.  Roald Dahl books used to come out in a good sized print when they were first run.  A lot of the books I have from the 1960's -1980's have good sized print.  From 1990 on, the editions are often smaller and use tinier font, which sucks for a child transitioning to chapter books.  I have started buying older copies again for my kid because of that.

• Like 5

I wish Amazon and library catalogs included font size in the book descriptions.

Many classics are available in large print versions.  Otherwise, hardbound editions usually have larger print than the same title in paperback.  

Avoid Dover and Penguin Thrift editions.

• Like 2

Avoid versions with "mass market" or "budget" in the description. For just paperback look at the physical dimensions to make sure it's not a little one. Hardcover usually avoids the problem altogether, or looking for particular lines, like Penguin, etc.

• Like 1