Menu

Women who don't cry

Moxie

I cry, but generally less often now than when I was younger and a lot more hormonal. I tear up over any of these things: books, movies, TV on the news of something terrible, posts from board members here that are sad, knowing that a friend is hurting, knowing that strangers are hurting, beautiful music, adorable things, memories of loss, watching someone go through a loss, seeing my animals hurting and dying, seeing my kids hurting, feeling misunderstood by someone I care about, frustration when I can't accomplish something, stepping on a Lego. Maybe a couple other things. 😄

• Like 3

I don't cry that often.  I cry at sad movies only sometimes.  I cry when I see that someone is being maligned or hurt and I feel emotion for them IRL.  

And sometimes I cry out of frustration.

But I almost always cry alone.  I know that sounds weird, but I don't like to have people see me cry.

The car window thing.  It wouldn't make me laugh or cry, it would make me angry.

I cried very hard when I heard my childhood best friend lost her first child to SIDS. We had lost touch after I moved away in junior high. I found out several years after her baby died. Interestingly, we both gave our first born the same name and they were born in the same year.

Movies, tv, music, things that bring up memories, any weddings (even strangers'), happy events like graduations, sad news, sad faces, my kids' stupid decisions (there have been many), family members, fur babies and people I know in general all make me cry sometimes. My husband is not a big crier.

A note on the windshield? I'd probably drive off not even noticing it. And my hearing's pretty bad so I wouldn't hear what someone was yelling anyway or I'd misunderstand and nod and smile. Neither would make me cry. Angry, yes.

• Like 1

It could be the androgens but just a heads up that it could be your age too.

When I was younger, I liked to hang out with fiftysomething women because I thought the were interesting but I never understood why they cried so much.

Now that I'm fiftysomething I do. I cry a lot. That's not a value judgement, it's just a simple statement of fact.

I don't remember ever thinking, "I wonder why all my sixtysomething friends are such oversensitive crybabies? Don't they even know how wonderful they are?" so I hope it gets better, but I don't know yet because I haven't gotten that far in the story yet.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I was the one who cried with the note on my windshield. I did not sob for a long time or anything. I felt angry too. There was the incident earlier in the week with the stranger on Kijiji calling us a moron and I was hurt by the negative energy of both these people. It has been a very stressful time and DS had 2 nights in a row where he slept badly and I was up several times in the night. In fact it has been months like this. That is why I am up now at 3 am. I have so much going on in my life and I am overwhelmed by the combination of practical things I have to do and my sick children's suffering and it's pretty amazing how little I cry given everything. I just have to stay positive and focus on the practical. I was doing that the morning this happened and the sky was clear and blue but I guess I just felt overwhelmed when I saw that note.

• Like 4

I think there is something to the age thing. I know both dh and I tear up more nowadays. And it just depends on the day. Sometimes I am really angry when horrible things happen like ISIS burning people alive in cages. Other times the same kind of thing makes me tear up. One thing I have noticed is that both dh and I are now much more sentimental and more likely to tear up by some story of good happening rather than the stories of evil doings. I am not a frequent crier and want to be even less of a crier than I ever am since crying hurts my eyes a lot. I have Sjogren's Syndrome and it really stresses my tear glands and I think even the composition of the tears hurts my eyes. Not sure how it actually works but I now a little tearing is nice for my dry eyes. Actually crying hurts them. Oh, and a few years ago when my autoimmune diseases were totally out of control and I was in so much pain, it was the first time since teen years that I cried because of my pain. I did cry as a teen with horrendous migraines but soon stopped that.

When I was working customer service I usually handled hot callers fine. There was one who was especially vicious, though, and it was hard not to take it personally even though he was angry with the company policy, not me. I cried after he ended his call with "FU bitch!" His wasn't a nasty note or a minor attack—it was a verbal assault.

Edited by Word Nerd

I'm more of a "tear up" kind of person, for the most part. I cry, too, but not over (what I see as) minor stuff.

I am prone to angry/frustrated tears. When a store manager implied I was trying to scam the store with unearned deals, I was so damn angry that I got choked up, teary, and could barely tell him where to stick it. ;-)

I'm more of a "tear up" kind of person, for the most part. I cry, too, but not over (what I see as) minor stuff.

I am prone to angry/frustrated tears. When a store manager implied I was trying to scam the store with unearned deals, I was so damn angry that I got choked up, teary, and could barely tell him where to stick it. ;-)

That's my reaction when I'm really angry too. I hate that.

Me too. When I say I cry easily I really mean I tear up easily. It's not full on boo-hoo sobbing. That only happens to me over personally devastating events, like the death of a loved one.

• Like 1

Hmmm....just thinking about this some more. If you knew me in real life, you would never, ever, ever, ever see me cry. Even if we had been friends for a long time. So you would think ,"Gee, I have a friend who never cries, no matter what." But it's not true. I don't cry in front of others, even if I feel it. When I get home, I fall apart. So, don't know if this counts or not.  (Maybe some of the people who you think never cry, really do, in private???) . Sometimes, being an introvert, I actually worry if others see me NOT crying when others are. I wonder if they think I'm an emotionless hole or something, when just the opposite is true. But it just won't come out in public.

Yes, this is me mostly. Only on a very few occasions have I cried in public.

I cry often.

It is healthier for me to cry.

If I hold it in, I get a horrible headache. I try not to all out ugly cry in public, and then I get headaches. Which I'll deal with, so I don't make other people uncomfortable.

When I'm in a safe place, though, with safe people, I cry.