Menu

Family vacation in New Mexico? Enough to do?

Shellydon

We have the opportunity to do a family vacation in New Mexico, but I am concerned that there is not enough to do for my on-the-go family.  I would be happy spending a few days at a quiet VBRO home, but I have a family that likes having scheduled activities everyday.  Hiking, fishing, water parks, maybe one days sight seeing in a town would be good. We've done Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands so that is off the list.  We'd be there in August.

We have the opportunity to do a family vacation in New Mexico, but I am concerned that there is not enough to do for my on-the-go family.  I would be happy spending a few days at a quiet VBRO home, but I have a family that likes having scheduled activities everyday.  Hiking, fishing, water parks, maybe one days sight seeing in a town would be good. We've done Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands so that is off the list.  We'd be there in August.

Not enough to do in New Mexico??? Are you serious? There is LOTS.

They have several National Parks and monuments,

https://www.nps.gov/state/nm/index.htm

and National Forest with hundreds of miles of hiking trails. 

For sighseeing in a town, Santa Fe is beautiful and has several museums. A few years back, we spent a week just in Santa Fe and did outings every single day.

There is lots to do in Albuquerque as well; we spent two very busy days there last year. Tramway up the mountain; Petroglyph Nat Monument, Pueblo Cultural center, Old Town...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60933-Activities-Albuquerque_New_Mexico.html

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

Not enough to do in New Mexico??? Are you serious? There is LOTS.

They have several National Parks and monuments,

https://www.nps.gov/state/nm/index.htm

and National Forest with hundreds of miles of hiking trails. 

For sighseeing in a town, Santa Fe is beautiful and has several museums. A few years back, we spent a week just in Santa Fe and did outings every single day.

There is lots to do in Albuquerque as well; we spent two very busy days there last year. Tramway up the mountain; Petroglyph Nat Monument, Pueblo Cultural center, Old Town...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60933-Activities-Albuquerque_New_Mexico.ht

We've done Alburquerque and weren't impressed enough to return.  No one in my family is a shopper, so wandering around looking at things to buy is the lowest thing on our list to do.    I will check out the national parks and forests though, thanks! 

No one in my family is a shopper, so wandering around looking at things to buy is the lowest thing on our list to do.  

It is for me, too, and it's not how I spend my vacation - but the Petroglyph Monument and the Pueblo Indian Cultural Center were worth the visit.

We've done Santa Fe and I wasn't impressed enough to return. We spent 3 days of a 5 week cross country trip there (because we had friends there but also because I heard it was so beautiful and not to be missed) and it was just okay, but I wouldn't go back. It was literally the only stop out of the entire trip I didn't really care for. Maybe our hosts didn't help do it justice...

We've done Santa Fe and I wasn't impressed enough to return. We spent 3 days of a 5 week cross country trip there (because we had friends there but also because I heard it was so beautiful and not to be missed) and it was just okay, but I wouldn't go back. It was literally the only stop out of the entire trip I didn't really care for. Maybe our hosts didn't help do it justice...

Hmmm... maybe we should look at Red River or Taos area. 

What part of NM?

I am a hiker and backpacker. Lived ten years in NM and never finished doing everything. So thinking there's not enough there baffles me.

There's hikes to hot springs in the Jemez, though you may opt just to view, not go in. There's Bandelier. Tent Rocks.

Chaco Canyon is a once in a lifetime experience. Magical. Not to be missed.

Lava tubes. Petroglyphs. Badlands. Angel Peak.

Down south there are cat walks through canyons, over rivers.

I could go on and on.

• Like 2

You could always go to the alien museum in Roswell.  (we got stuck in Roswell for three days one winter during a blizzard)

I think much depends on whether you like the desert.  I prefer green to orange---so I am not a big fan of New Mexico.  Others in my family enjoy it, however.  We have spent a week in Taos, which has been my favorite place in New Mexico to stay; there are a number of places to hike and a few museums.  You are close enough to Sante Fe or Albuquerque if you want to visit those.

if you want "big city" attractions, you will probably be disappointed. Everything here is on a much smaller scale that what I was used to after living in Houston for many years. Museums, zoos, etc are nice but much smaller that what would be expected in a big city. However, if you like outdoorsy stuff there is plenty to do all over the state. Do you want to stay in one spot and do day trip activities from that location, or do you plan to travel around the state?

Oh, if you do go to Santa Fe, check out a place called Meow Wolf. https://meowwolf.com

Edited by City Mouse