Menu

Opinions on literature guides for Alice in Wonderland and/or Wizard of Oz? VP Guides?

ExcitedMama

In a recent thread about ELTL someone posted about using literature guides to go along with the selections in ELTL2 which I thought was a great idea. I found VP has one for Alice, any opinions on it? Is there anything else I should check out? Are there any guides for the Wizard of Oz? I feel like I'm missing something because I can't find any. I've never read the book but I had a history teacher who often expounded on the themes apparently in the book so I assumed it was rich in ideas for discussion.

I read DS Peter Pan years ago and he's listened to the audiobook constantly for years so I'm torn on whether it makes sense to add the guide that VP has. Since he knows the book so well he could probably do the questions easily. It's hard to tell since Rainbow only has a one page sample, do the questions get any more substantive or is it more remembering what happened?

I've never read Wind in the Willows and the guide is for middle school, unless I missed a younger one for this? Would it be worthwhile if there is an age appropriate one?

Litwits has them.  They're "experience kits" meant for slightly older children (8-12), but they have links that go along with background info and look to be a lot of fun.

HomeschoolShare has a lapbook for Oz, also.

We're using ELTL this year but I don't plan on supplementing much.  We're using level 3, which includes Beautiful Stories From Shakespeare.  I do have a Shakespeare activity guide and we'll be getting to him in history, so I'll tie it all together.  The rest: Dolittle, Oz, and one other, we'll just read for fun and do the light ELTL lessons.

I think the Alice in Wonderland one is great. I also picked up their Peter Pan one. The VP guides in that range tend to have comprehension questions for each chapter and then projects that are simple throughout. I pulled Peter Pan off the shelf and it has "draw yourself as a lost boy or girl", go outside and collect twigs and leaves etc and make a house for Tinker Bell, a game called "Mermaid Tail ball" and so forth.

The one I used for Wizard of Oz I found on currclick. It is by World Study Guide. This one is a lapbook but a very good one. It has some many great elements to enhance the story. I got the MP Blue Fairy study guide but really it is lack luster. I am not going to return it but it is my least favorite one out of the ones I have found for ELTL.

ELTL is only done 3 days a week so we are just going to work the study guides in on the off days. Very breezy and low key. I don't plan to do it all, just for discussion, a few projects, a little more writing practice and so forth.

If you find an age appropriate Wind in the Willow let me know. I am on the lookout for that one. I feel the other one is too advanced for the age I am working with (8yo). I also haven't found one I like for "A Wonder Book for Girls and Boys". I am thinking about doing my own for that one. Not sure yet...