Menu

Homeschool Connections?

Trinqueta took their free live study skills class and we listened to a couple of the free Reformation (they called it The Protestant Rebellion) classes. I thought the history class was okay, less indoctrinating than the name implied but not as good as a Teaching Company class. The study skills class was very good and I'd sign T up for Erin Brown's writing class if we weren't enrolled in Memoria Press.

• Like 1

Hello,

You asked about history and science for middle and high school.  My son took several of Mrs. Stanley's middle school history classes last year (pre-recorded).  Very engaging and not too hard.  My son needs school work that is "just enough" and not too hard, or he shuts down.  I learned a lot watching her classes.  Occasionally there were glitches in the pre-recorded class but not too many.  I have watched bits of the high school level history classes.  Some teachers are more engaging than others.  We'll be watching the most fun ones.

I've only watched bits of the biology course.  For the one I watched, it seemed that the teacher just read her slides, and went very quickly.  My son is taking biology this year, and I'll probably use her slides and do the explaining myself (bio major, but I'll need to read ahead.... if I get motivated, that is.)  I've read many people's reviews of the chemistry class, saying it is awesome (and can be difficult).  I like the variety of science courses offered.

My son has taken two of the writing courses with Mrs. Brown.  I liked them and thought they were thorough and not too difficult (average level, not honors) and that's what my son needs. 

I love the pre-recorded option because I can assign whatever I think my son ought to do for assignments and tests rather than something he would fail at.  I like being able to drop a class and do something else with no extra cost.  I like that you can cancel and rejoin at any time (like summers or a month off for Christmas, if you do that).  I like that he can re-watch a portion several times and pause it to take notes from the screen.  I like that it's being taught by someone other than me, and I'm not reading his text books aloud.  I like that the basic structure of the notes are on the screen to make note-taking easier.

Since you can try one week for only one dollar, and the pre-recorded classes are $30 per month, you might want to see things for yourself.  We'll be using it for four subjects this upcoming year.

I hope this helps.

• Like 3

I had a student in the live physics class last year. No complaints from us. I thought the teacher was engaging and the material was covered well. The workload seemed appropriate.

This is great to hear as my DD is registered for the Physics class this year. Teacher seems very organized as we have already received welcome email, syllabus, and other related documents for the class. Excited! :) 

• 3 months later...

We also enjoyed the recorded Mrs. Stanley's classes ( not sure how to write her title as know she has a JD). My DD1 liked some of the recorded econ classes, my current high schooler is taking a live computer applications class. We have been impressed by the customer service and teaching. We will be investigating other live courses for the fall.

Quality seems to vary depending on the teacher. I have a friend who has used a lot of their classes for her two oldest kids (middle & high school) - both recorded & live. They use something else for math & writing, although they tried the (recorded) writing classes. (Neither girl clicked with the writing teacher's presentation of material.) Once the kids find a teacher they like (usually by trying the recorded classes), they go for live versions with that same teacher. Sampling the recorded classes seems to be a good way of trying out different teachers to see which ones fit your child's style & learning preferences, which ones engage your student's love of learning, or which ones can explain things in ways your kid understands.

Our only experience was with a live math class & it was definitely a mixed one. If I use them again, I'll be looking at the recorded classes first before investing in a live class.

• Like 3

I had a student in the live physics class last year. No complaints from us. I thought the teacher was engaging and the material was covered well. The workload seemed appropriate.

According to their website they use Hewitt's Conceptual Physics - did it use any "Appendix F"  type problems which would make this more similar to an Algebra based Physics class?

(see for example CloverCreek Physics)

• 3 weeks later...

Our family is enrolled in Homeschool Connections (recorded option) this year.  The history courses by Phillip Campbell have been well received by my history-loving daughter.  My daughters are also taking a number of other classes (Spanish with Irma Schmitt, German with Alexis Mausolf, and writing with Erin Conroy are very good as well), but I cannot comment on their science as we are already using various books.  I do plan to re-enroll next year to continue foreign languages with the abovementioned teachers, and will likely enroll in the Homeschool Connections chemistry course or their [conceptual] physics because this year has been so successful. So far, I have found Homeschool Connection's courses to be thorough and interesting.  I am very pleased with my daughters' progress using this program.

Edited by llama
  • Like 1