Menu

S/O Lyme

MamaBearTeacher

Are there any places where Lyme tics and related infections do not exist? Where?

In areas where there is a lot of Lyme tics what percentage of the population has contracted Lyme? I know it is under diagnosed so it is hard to say.

Given how debilitating it is and how the problem seems to be getting worse, why are they not trying to get rid of the tics?

• Like 1

It isn't simple to get rid of part of the ecosystem. At least not without other serious consequences.

Ticks are on the move thanks to climate change. They are relatively new to the state where I live, and moving further north rapidly.

The more realistic action at this point is to create a Lyme vaccine. At one point there was one, but anti vaccers raised a fuss and funding was pulled. My understanding is that the vaccine had issues, but without funding there is no way to resolve those.

Basically, funding science would go a long way.

• Like 2

It's much less prevalent in some areas than others. Here's a map showing reported cases (2015 is the most recent year that statistics are available).

Keep in mind that areas that aren't as prone to Lyme may have other more prevalent tick borne diseases and some of those can be much worse, if perhaps not as common, as Lyme. I'm in NC and despite the name we're ground zero for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. It's much more serious than Lyme as it can kill in a matter of days if not treated. There are many tick borne diseases.

Ticks are difficult to eradicate as they're very hardy things and live on a number of hosts.

• Like 2

In areas where there is a lot of Lyme tics what percentage of the population has contracted Lyme? I know it is under diagnosed so it is hard to say.

Yeah, it's very hard to pin that one down.  It seems that I have seen documentaries about Lyme, CT, where people talk about ALL of their neighbors getting Lyme.  Even stories about entire families dying.  But part of that was due to the fact that Borelia Burgdorferi was not known back then.

Here Lyme is VERY common and many families are affected.  In our family of nine people, here are the statistics:

- MomsintheGarden:  No known Lyme, so far.

- RegGuheert: Acute Lyme with bullseye rash and severe flu-like symptoms which was treated with a three-week course of amoxycillin.

- DS27: No known Lyme, so far.  He lives in an area with less incidence of Lyme now.

- DD24: Bullseye rash while a senior at college.  She was prescribed antibiotics and stopped taking it as soon as the symptoms stopped. :glare:  (...and she graduated at the top of her class in biochemistry.)  She described something this week that she wondered if it was Lyme, but it didn't sound like it to me.

- DS19: Bullseye rash followed by bullseyes ALL OVER HIS BODY, followed by arthritis which crippled him to the point that he could not walk.  He crawled around the house for several days because he couldn't walk.  Treated with either three or four weeks of amoxycillin.

- DS17: No bullseye that we ever saw, but he developed severe neurological Lyme disease symptoms.  Took a while to diagnose and was eventually treated for Lyme and coinfections for 18 months with a complicated, experimental regimen of antibiotics.  His condition has continued to improved in the 3.5 years since cessation of treatment and is doing much better now.

- DD15: Had a bullseye rash followed by severe arthritis, resulting in her crawling around the house for a few days until the antibiotics kicked in.  She was treated with amoxycillin for four weeks, but suffered from severe hives.  Clearly she is allergic to penicillin.

- DS15:  No known Lyme, so far.

- DS 13:  Bullseye rash followed by either three or four weeks of amoxycillin.  No Lyme symptoms since then.

Summary for our family of nine:

- Three with no known Lyme infections.

- Five with acute Lyme who were treated and have not had further problems.

- One who developed severe neurological Lyme and coinfection symptoms.  He underwent complicated, experimental treatment and is doing much better now.

Given how debilitating it is and how the problem seems to be getting worse, why are they not trying to get rid of the tics?

IME, that would likely fall into the category of "the cure is worse than the disease"?

I'm in NC and despite the name we're ground zero for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. It's much more serious than Lyme as it can kill in a matter of days if not treated.

If borrelia burgdorferi infects the heart, an ailment known as Lyme carditis, Lyme can also kill in a matter of days (or perhaps a few weeks):  Relying on a negative Lyme disease test can prove deadly.

• Like 1

It's much less prevalent in some areas than others. Here's a map showing reported cases (2015 is the most recent year that statistics are available).

Keep in mind that areas that aren't as prone to Lyme may have other more prevalent tick borne diseases and some of those can be much worse, if perhaps not as common, as Lyme. I'm in NC and despite the name we're ground zero for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. It's much more serious than Lyme as it can kill in a matter of days if not treated. There are many tick borne diseases.

Ticks are difficult to eradicate as they're very hardy things and live on a number of hosts.

A college friend's DH apparently got bitten on a hunting trip (he never saw any ticks or bites). He almost died before the medical team figured out they should test/treat him for RMSF, as it's rare even in the area where he was hunting. It's a scary illness. Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 1

Reg, I am really shocked to see how many people in your family have suffered with this. I had no idea it was that common.

Yeah, we find both deer ticks and wood ticks (AKA dog ticks) nearly every day starting in about February.  We find them on the people, on the cats or sometimes crawling around on the furniture or floors.

Frankly, based on our experience with DS17, we sometimes worry more about those who have never shown any symptoms than those who have had it and been treated.  The concern is that they may have already been bitten and may be harboring an infection of borrelia burgdorferi that will come back to haunt them later.

We used to pull ticks off my kids and animals constantly when we lived in the middle of the woods in southern Maryland.  I have seen exactly zero ticks in the four years since we moved to San Antonio.  When my daughter was trying to get her chronic illnesses diagnosed, I asked for a Lyme test and the doctors were kind of baffled why I'd ask until they understood we had recently moved from Maryland.  It's exceedingly uncommon to find someone who has ever had Lyme Disease here.  It's strange uncommon to find anyone who has even seen a tick here.

Living in southern MD, my mom and I got Lyme Disease in 2002 (neither ever saw the tick, but we both had bulls-eye rashes).  My son got Lyme Disease in 2010.  We never saw the tick, but he got a rash.  My dad has had Lyme twice now, around 2013 and currently.  He saw ticks in the general areas where he got the rashes, but whether the rashes came from those particular ticks, who knows.  He still lives in the middle of the woods in MD.  I know TONS of people from MD/VA who have had Lyme Disease.  It's so very common.  I know one who had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.  She almost died.  It was scary.

• Like 1

I did not "like" these posts because they made me sad but thank you for sharing.

I know they sometimes spray for mosquitoes and other insects. I guess tics are harder to deal with in that way. I don't like the idea of killing off a whole species but they are causing a lot of problems to human health and it seems to be getting more common. It could get a lot worse.

I am a person who does very badly with antibiotics in general and my body cannot keep them down. Can they be given intravenously for Lyme?

• Like 1

I feel like every family I know has dealt with Lyme either short acute case or some with neurological and chronic issues. Our family of 6 we have 2 confirmed cases and I am sure 1 more but that child is an adult and I cannot get them to verify it. I wouldn't be surprised if I tested positive and don't even know it.

And I am packing my car to go spend a week in the woods, where one child has already been for a week. I feel like I am walking into a Lyme trap but walking out of my house can feel that way too so I refuse to give up this experience. I have sprayed way more chemicals on our clothing and gear than I am comfortable with it Lyme made me do it.

We are in an area with high number of cases.

• Like 1