Menu

AOPS Algebra

I was looking at the curriculum on WTM academy, and it seems that Algebra 2 is the second half of the Intro to Algebra course. I was under the impression that Algebra 2 was the Intermediate Algebra book. Did others feel that AOPS intro to algebra gave your child satisfactory mastery of algebra?

We had planned to do Geometry and Intermediate Algebra this year - but now not sure about the Intermediate Algebra. Do we skip Intermediate and slowly start Precalc - which may be hard without geometry.

Thanks!

I think that if you plan on staying with aops, then you need Intermediate Algebra, but if you plan to move on to a different curriculum, my understanding is that you can go to precalculus from the Intro book (plus some practice on polynomial division).

AOPS structures algebra into three courses instead of the traditional two.  They break the "Intro" book into algebra 1 & 2, and do a good portion of "Intermediate" for algebra 3.

If you want the traditional 2-course, it's a bit tricky.  "Intro" covers 1 and about half of 2.  "Intermediate" covers the other half of 2, and college algebra.

Some of a typical precalculus course isn't covered in AoPS Precalculus.  It goes a bit more heavily into complex numbers and matrices, similar on trig, but lighter on polynomials and exponential/logarithmic functions.  Those are covered in the "Intermediate" text.  You can also pick up a standard precalc text to pair with AoPS and skip the majority of "Intermediate."

I was looking at the curriculum on WTM academy, and it seems that Algebra 2 is the second half of the Intro to Algebra course. I was under the impression that Algebra 2 was the Intermediate Algebra book. Did others feel that AOPS intro to geometry gave your child satisfactory mastry of algebra?

We had planned to do Geometry and Intermediate Algebra this year - but now not sure about the Intermediate Algebra. Do we skip Intermediate and slowly start Precalc - which may be hard without geometry.

Thanks!

WTMA finishes the AOPS Intro book about a month before the end of school and adds in a bit of trig (not the full PreCalc amount) and vectors. They also have a backup workbook to cover any topics (polynomial division for example) that AOPS Intro doesn't cover. It's a full Algebra II course.

WTMA finishes the AOPS Intro book about a month before the end of school and adds in a bit of trig (not the full PreCalc amount) and vectors. They also have a backup workbook to cover any topics (polynomial division for example) that AOPS Intro doesn't cover. It's a full Algebra II course.

I'd be curious to see what was added.  It could work.

The other big gaps are exponentials and logarithms.  If it covered those, it would be just about right.

They did exponential functions and logarithms. In fact, Trinqueta was asking me about what e was used for so they did natural logs too.

Intro to Algebra does introduce the terms, but doesn't go into that much depth.  I'd double-check that coverage was adequate.  Not saying it can't be, but the Intro book by itself doesn't quite get there.

I'll second the last question: do you know where the additional content came from?

AoPS Intro + extra content is tantalizingly close to a full algebra 1 & 2 sequence, so I really am curious to know.  Intermediate goes WAY beyond what most students - even STEM students - will ever be able to use.

Intro to Algebra does introduce the terms, but doesn't go into that much depth.  I'd double-check that coverage was adequate.  Not saying it can't be, but the Intro book by itself doesn't quite get there.

I'll second the last question: do you know where the additional content came from?

AoPS Intro + extra content is tantalizingly close to a full algebra 1 & 2 sequence, so I really am curious to know.  Intermediate goes WAY beyond what most students - even STEM students - will ever be able to use.

Can you elaborate on "WAY beyond what most students..."? This sounds like Intermediate math is really more like mostly Algebra III and a little bit of Algebra II? Granted a few pieces are sparse from the Into Algebra(which really is Algebra I + 1/2 of Algebra II). When we looked at the syllabus, subjects such as complex numbers are important to someone going into electrical engineering, but for many other engineers(and most other STEM folks) there is no great need for it.

Is Intermediate Math better for someone who wants to do math competitions rather than someone who wants to understand math at a high level so it can be utilized in the sciences?

Is Intermediate Math better for someone who wants to do math competitions rather than someone who wants to understand math at a high level so it can be utilized in the sciences?

Towards the end, yes.  It goes beyond the ordinary college algebra content and into competition math.  I would say the first 15-16 chapters are very worthwhile, and the practicality tapers off after.

I personally wouldn't skip those 15 if planning to use AoPS precalculus.  If you supplement with other material (as we do), then you could get away with less.  Few AP calculus texts, however, still cover analytic geometry and sequences/series well, imho, so I find those topics to be particularly worthwhile in advance of calculus.

Archived