Menu

Coursera PreCalculus Help -- STILL STUCK!

My son is stuck on a quiz and he can't get past the section to complete the course.  We've tried goodgle, reporting, emailing the instructor, and there is no "discussion page" to ask other people taking the course.  We did pay for the verified version, so aren't doing this "free." 

He can't figure out how to properly code his answer, and it's been a week.

These are the questions:

point

Find all solutions of the equation 2cosθ+1=0 on the interval [0,2Ï€).

θ=?

If you have more than one solution, enter your largest solution.

point

Find all solutions of the equation cscθ=−1 on the interval [0,2Ï€).

θ=?

If you have more than one solution, enter your largest solution.

This is what he's submitted:

Would like to know how to enter the answer to questions 1 and 2. Have tried entering (4pi)/3, ((4pi)/3)+(2pi)n, and 2k(pi) for question 1 as it's the largest answer and the same variations for (3pi)/2 for question 2 but nothing has clicked. I followed the steps from the lesson to obtain these answers but apparently, I don't know how to enter the answer correctly.
Edited by LisaK in VA is in IT
  • Like 1

I don't know the program, but is he sure it recognizes the syntax as 4pi meaning 4 TIMES pi? Has he tried entering with an explicit multiplication sign: 4*pi/3?

No idea, either -- but I'm forwarding everything to him to try!!

Thank you.  I'll update you!  ETA:  That wasn't it :(  Also trying mathway

Lisa

Edited by LisaK in VA is in IT
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still stuck...we've reported the issue to Coursera multiple times, sent FB messages, emailed the professor, checked with a tutor --- NOTHING.  I'm so incredibly frustrated!! We should be done with this course, and instead we've been stuck for over two weeks.  There are no forums to post questions to other students (or read replies), zero we can do -- and I paid for this stupid course!

Could you get Coursera tech support to uncheck the quiz as compulsory to proceed?

ETA:

In LaTeX format? \frac{4pi}{3}

Thus far, we have gotten no response from anyone.  He's trying the LaTeX format now -- but it's pretty far removed from everything else they've used in the course, so it's probably doubtful.  We gave the quiz a "thumbs down"...lol .  Just incredibly frustrating.

• Like 1

thanks for the feedback on Coursera and MOOCs in general

we did an EdX math course last year - it took a bit but we did figure out the user interface for inputting answers (PITA versus pencil and paper).

the EdX course had some support whether you paid the fee or not

good luck

thanks for the feedback on Coursera and MOOCs in general

we did an EdX math course last year - it took a bit but we did figure out the user interface for inputting answers (PITA versus pencil and paper).

the EdX course had some support whether you paid the fee or not

good luck

The frustrating thing, is we are 90% done with the course.  So, this is the first time it's occurred.  And, it has't occurred in any other course we've taken.  I can't imagine what either we (or the system) is doing wrong at this point.  Just very weird. 

So -- I found Coursera's phone number in a business listing.  It did go to a voice mail, but at least the voice mail was somewhat helpful.  We went to the help pages (which we've done before), but apparently, the system logs us out when we go to help -- which means you can't see the links to contact tech support (and I didn't know about them, until I got the voice mail message).  

SO, long story short, we FINALLY reached tech support.  Answers were all correct, EXCEPT, he wasn't supposed to use parentheses in his answer.  Another one required multiple parentheses AND explicit signs for multiplication, etc.

And, with that, he is nearly done and should complete the course next week.  

• Like 6