Menu

Am I the only one who has hard time with symbols? I like words.

TravelingChris

I can understand easy symbols- hugs, party, heart, etc. I have learned box means stop on electronics, though that one wasn't obvious to me. But more and more am I seeing all sorts of sympbols that I really don't know. Some smart IT developers add in words if you hover over the symbol. Others don't and I am left in confusion as to what they do since I don't want to mess stuff up. I do think it is very good that I was born to parents who came from alphabet using countries. I guess this is probably related to my worse skill- spatial reasoning.

• Like 4

My oldest daughter recently moved out and on moving day the guys in our family left to pick up another load. Our project while they were gone was to assemble an Ikea bed. I opened the instructions to find no words, just pictures! They left the two "wordiest" people in the family to assemble this bed with a book of pictures. It was hilarious but we did it.

• Like 6

I'm great with logos, hate it when they change. Most symbols are useless to me. The worst for me is the elevator door open/close symbol. I suppose the pointy part is supposed to show the direction the doors will move in, but I see the straight sides as being the position of the doors, so I always hit the wrong one.

(scroll down just a bit for picture) http://just10things.net/2011/03/

• Like 2

I'm great with logos, hate it when they change. Most symbols are useless to me. The worst for me is the elevator door open/close symbol. I suppose the pointy part is supposed to show the direction the doors will move in, but I see the straight sides as being the position of the doors, so I always hit the wrong one.

Me too!  I feel like an idiot when someone is running for the elevator and I'm trying to figure out which button to push.  After shutting it in someone's face a couple of times, I've just taken to sticking my arm in the door to trip the sensor.  Would it really be that hard to have the words too?!?

• Like 1

I can understand easy symbols- hugs, party, heart, etc. I have learned box means stop on electronics, though that one wasn't obvious to me. But more and more am I seeing all sorts of sympbols that I really don't know. Some smart IT developers add in words if you hover over the symbol. Others don't and I am left in confusion as to what they do since I don't want to mess stuff up. I do think it is very good that I was born to parents who came from alphabet using countries. I guess this is probably related to my worse skill- spatial reasoning.

I believe the synbols are to make it easier to use the same program in different countries -- less to translate.

Yes. The triangles are arrows showing which ways the doors will move when the button is pressed.

Yes. The triangles are arrows showing which ways the doors will move when the button is pressed.

So, what is the difference between the arrows with lines in between and arrows without lines in between? 

Also, I am struggling with the pictures altogether because some elevators have two doors that meet in the middle, and some have only one door that moves all the way across. Would these pictures apply to only the kind with two doors?

• Like 1

So, what is the difference between the arrows with lines in between and arrows without lines in between? 

Also, I am struggling with the pictures altogether because some elevators have two doors that meet in the middle, and some have only one door that moves all the way across. Would these pictures apply to only the kind with two doors?

Nope. The same symbol applies for one door or two. It's symbolic, not a direct representation.

I haven't seen the one with the rectangle in the middle -- is it possible that was an elevator with two doors on it -- front and back and those were to independently operate the doors?

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

You are not alone.

We had a lego technic set that was missing pieces. Called them. They wanted to know what pieces were missing. They don't have numbers or names.

I'm over here like... Third box from the left second block down, the black peeve with 7 holes... They replied "oh the beam". Yes THAT is what I mean... Would it kill you to have names on things?

I don't see why the elevator has four pictures. Just one for open and one for close should be enough, right?

I get tripped up inside the elevator sometimes... "wait, am I coming from ground, lobby, first floor..." so I know which button to hit to return.

One of our remotes would confuse me and I drew the symbols and/or words back on with sharpie, but they rubbed off again :/