Menu

"Where's Harvard?"

No, it's ok.  Frankly, I'd forgotten, but I'd been told this when I applied to Berkeley years ago--no one local graduated in less than 5 years, and those paying full tuition got top priority for class placement.  

So, to clarify, are we talking about students who aren't on financial aid and paying full freight, or are they students who are OOS and paying a premium above regular tuition?

Either way...ick.  

This registering for classes in the summer is so foreign to me.  I went to private school, and we spent the first week or two of the quarter "shopping around" for classes.  I can't remember when the registration deadline was, but it didn't really matter because we had until the day of the final to drop the class without penalty.  And with the exception of certain very popular classes (mostly fun electives like SCUBA or sex ed), there was always room to take any class I wanted.  

I'd also like to say that I've enjoyed where this conversation has gone.  I posted what I thought was just a funny kid comment, and I'm learning a lot!  Thank you to the posters who have gone through this for sticking around helping those of us that are clueless. (I'm probably the only clueless one.)

Oh, are you the OP?  LOL, you never know where a conversation will turn on WTM.   :lol:

• Like 4

Wow!  I had no clue.  That is really awesome!  Perfect for a kid who prefers to do rather than sit and learn.

I think in the long run, this list is going to save me $$$$$$$$$$.   I would never know how to find these options otherwise.

One of my ds's friends from SSP was the recipient of a Thiel Fellowship.  It is an amazing opportunity for the right student, but it can be a very difficult choice.  She had been accepted to MIT and Stanford (I am not sure where else).  She was planning on Stanford when she decided to accept the Thiel.  Making the decision to drop of college when you are that caliber of a student and knowing that you are about to veer down a very different path.....tough choice at 18/19 yrs old.

This is an interesting glimpse: https://www.wired.com/video/2014/05/teen-technorati-meet-the-2014-thiel-fellowship-finalists/

• Like 2

Any advice for us moms on where to learn about this kind of thing?  

Quark's post is great. 

For me, I spent (and continue to spend) hours upon hours researching.  The college application process is constantly morphing.  Going through it with my 2017 grad was absolutely nothing like going through it with my 2007 grad.  My antenna are always up and right now the self-reporting academic record is the beast that I see taking over and I.do.not.like.it.at.all.   Our homeschool does not play well with that type of automated-pt generating-pigeon holing interface.  Since I still have to go through this 3 more times, I cannot even begin to imagine how much different it will be with my 2028 grad.  

At this point, I would just pay attention to costs and keep expectations real.  I wouldn't worry too much about it at all. At 14, start paying more attention.  Read sites to understand the latest in the application process.  Let your kids grow into who they are.  Things will start to reveal themselves.  I am paying attention for my 10th grader, but absolutely in no way am I thinking in terms of my 6th and 2nd graders.

• Like 5

So, to clarify, are we talking about students who aren't on financial aid and paying full freight, or are they students who are OOS and paying a premium above regular tuition?

Either way...ick.  

We're talking 25 years ago, but my recollection was that people from out-of-state paying full tuition got priority over those paying in-state tuition.  I could be remembering wrong, though.

• Like 1

No, it's ok.  Frankly, I'd forgotten, but I'd been told this when I applied to Berkeley years ago--no one local graduated in less than 5 years, and those paying full tuition got top priority for class placement.  You never knew what you would get until registration day.  Coming from dual registration at a state U where I got whatever I wanted and knew weeks ahead of time, I found it to be a negative for attending Berkeley.  (The procedure for changing majors was the other negative.)

I liked this to acknowledge your experience but as with everything else, it all depends. All the homeschoolers I know graduating from Cal are graduating within 4 years. One of them is graduating a year earlier. All are STEM majors/ double majors.

I of course don't know what will happen with A. We will keep our fingers crossed and minds open and try not to overthink it. I can't help but feel loyal to Cal I guess. Their acceptance came at a very difficult time in our lives and was so welcoming, so embracing. And their course offerings are so tempting to A. The kid is finally getting to the stage where all the cool math is happening. I am obviously feeling quite fond of the school. Ask me again a year from now :laugh:.

• Like 3