Jump to content


Resources for representing yourself in court re: child support and contempt issues?


Recommended Posts

I need to file for contempt against my ex. I can no longer afford $325 a flooshing hour. Geez.  


Just wondering if there are some good educational resources (websites?) out there for someone who needs to represent herself? I want to make sure I do this right. I am in PA.



Edited by lisabees
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is place to begin:  Nolo Press.

My ex-spouse is refusing to pay court-ordered child support. How can I have the order enforced?

Under the Child Support Enforcement Act of 1984, district attorneys (D.A.s) or state's attorneys  must help you collect  child support. Sometimes this means that the D.A. will serve papers requiring that your ex meet with the D.A.  to arrange a payment schedule. These papers usually  say that, if the ex refuses to meet or pay, jail time could result.

Federal laws  allow the interception of tax refunds to enforce child support orders. Other methods of enforcement include wage attachments, seizing property, suspending the business or occupational license of a payer who is behind on child support, or -- in some states -- revoking the payer's driver's license. Your state's D.A. may employ any one of these methods in an attempt to help you collect from your ex. In addition, the U.S. Department of State may refuse to issue a passport to anyone who owes more than $2,500 in child support.

As a last resort, the court that has issued the child support order can hold your ex in contempt and, in the absence of a reasonable explanation for the delinquency, impose a jail term. This contempt power is exercised sparingly in most states, primarily because most judges would rather keep the payer out of jail where there's still a chance your ex will earn the income necessary to pay the support.

Almost every state has an agency that can help you with child support enforcement at little or no cost to you. For a list of links to these agencies, visit the National Child Support Enforcement Association at http://ncsea.org



  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oooh - thank you for that link.  I sent a letter to his lawyer, saying that he has five days to pay in full or I will file.  That's what my former attorney suggested.  I just need to know how to follow through in the best way.


Thanks again!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...