Menu

Instant Pot Spin Off

IndigoGlitter

I haven't looked it up but I am assuming (haha) that it is a pressure cooker.

What is so great about a pressure cooker. I have a slow cooker. I live in a RV, are pressure cookers worth the space they'd take up?  Are they easier than the oven? What's the difference between the pressure cooker and a slow cooker other than, again assuming, pressure?

And go!

Will it do dishes? ;)

Is there a reason NOT to have one then?

I'm sure there are people with reasons not to have one.  :-)

I have one; I like it; I use it a fair bit.  I think it would be useful in an RV but I've never actually lived in an RV so I am not sure.    But it didn't revolutionize my life; it made some things easier, some things, quicker, and some things both.  I made the best red beans of my life (according to my husband and son) earlier this week. I make and eat more hard-boiled eggs than I did before I had it, because they are so easy and near fool-proof.  I was able to replace my rice cooker with it, and I may replace a slow cooker soon too.  

But it won't cook everything. 

I would look at some of the websites and facebook groups to see what kind of recipes they are best for.  Maybe you don't make those kinds of foods.  :-)

• Like 1

Here are a few trade-offs between the Instant Pot and slow cookers:

Things that both do well:

- Allow a meal to be prepared in the morning to be ready in the evening (although the Instant Pot requires programming to do that).

- Slow cooking of foods that do best with that.

Things that the slow cooker does better:

- Easier to use: Off->Low->Med->High

- Holds more food.  (Our 7-quart slow cooker can actually cook 7 quarts of food, which is more than our 8-quart instant pot.)

- It's smaller.  (A bit.  The counter area is similar, though.)

- Ride out a power outage.  (This applies to "dumb" slow cookers only.)  The Instant Pot or other programmable cookers likely will leave your food uncooked if there is an outage. (Please correct me if I am wrong here.)

- Uses less power, so it can operate from the cigarette lighter in the car (at least on low).  This can be useful if there is a long ride to the event.

- No rubber seal to hold smells from the food.  (Actually, SOME of our slow cookers have a rubber seal, but most do not.)

Things that the Instant Pot does better:

- Cooks faster.

- Cooks eggs (and apparently they are easier to peel).

- Cooks rice.

- Cooks yogurt more easily.  (MomsintheGarden makes awesome yogurt in our 3-, 5-, and 7-quart slow cookers all the time, but it is pretty fiddly.)

- Steams food.

- Saves electricity.  (The instant pot uses more POWER, but uses less overall energy.)

- Easier cleanup of the pot.  (It appears that the 8-quart stainless-steel Instant Pot fits in the dishwasher more easily than the 7-quart crock from the slow cooker.)

I'm sure there are other benefits of each, as well.

• Like 3

My dh & I follow several Full-time RV families' videos on youtube.  Lots of them love their Instant Pots.

https://lessjunkmorejourney.com/how-we-cook-in-an-rv/

I am sure many of you have heard of the Instant Pot. For a long time, I put off this purchase. I had heard from many others how wonderful this product was, but it just looked scary.  I guess in my mind I pictured my grandmothers pressure cooker, rattling and spewing steam growing up as a kid. As the pressure would build, the noise would sound as if the house was going to explode.  They actually made us kids go outside at times, so I am guessing that could have been a legitimate concern. After attending a FullTime Families Rally we noticed  that on potluck night the whole table was full of Instant Pots. At that point, I realized I was obviously missing an important piece to our full time family travels and I finally made the purchase.

After we bought the Instant Pot, I am going to tell on myself and say that it was 3 months before I finally had the nerve to get it out of the box and try it. After a couple months of use, I am hooked! It has made cooking so much easier and RV cooking even easier. I am loving how fast food can be prepared and in one pot of cleanup.

We come in from a long day of travels and frozen chicken can be prepared hot and ready in 20 min. It is amazing! I was even able to replace my crockpot because it has the same slow cooker mode on it. So anytime I can eliminate, that makes us happy campers. My only regret is waiting so long to finally try it out.

• Like 3

My dh & I follow several Full-time RV families' videos on youtube.  Lots of them love their Instant Pots.

https://lessjunkmorejourney.com/how-we-cook-in-an-rv/

I am sure many of you have heard of the Instant Pot. For a long time, I put off this purchase. I had heard from many others how wonderful this product was, but it just looked scary.  I guess in my mind I pictured my grandmothers pressure cooker, rattling and spewing steam growing up as a kid. As the pressure would build, the noise would sound as if the house was going to explode.  They actually made us kids go outside at times, so I am guessing that could have been a legitimate concern. After attending a FullTime Families Rally we noticed  that on potluck night the whole table was full of Instant Pots. At that point, I realized I was obviously missing an important piece to our full time family travels and I finally made the purchase.

After we bought the Instant Pot, I am going to tell on myself and say that it was 3 months before I finally had the nerve to get it out of the box and try it. After a couple months of use, I am hooked! It has made cooking so much easier and RV cooking even easier. I am loving how fast food can be prepared and in one pot of cleanup.

We come in from a long day of travels and frozen chicken can be prepared hot and ready in 20 min. It is amazing! I was even able to replace my crockpot because it has the same slow cooker mode on it. So anytime I can eliminate, that makes us happy campers. My only regret is waiting so long to finally try it out.

I was just thinking of them when I saw this post too! 

• Like 1

Here are a few trade-offs between the Instant Pot and slow cookers:

Things that both do well:

- Allow a meal to be prepared in the morning to be ready in the evening (although the Instant Pot requires programming to do that).

- Slow cooking of foods that do best with that.

Things that the slow cooker does better:

- Easier to use: Off->Low->Med->High

- Holds more food.  (Our 7-quart slow cooker can actually cook 7 quarts of food, which is more than our 8-quart instant pot.)

- It's smaller.  (A bit.  The counter area is similar, though.)

- Ride out a power outage.  (This applies to "dumb" slow cookers only.)  The Instant Pot or other programmable cookers likely will leave your food uncooked if there is an outage. (Please correct me if I am wrong here.)

- Uses less power, so it can operate from the cigarette lighter in the car (at least on low).  This can be useful if there is a long ride to the event.

- No rubber seal to hold smells from the food.  (Actually, SOME of our slow cookers have a rubber seal, but most do not.)

Things that the Instant Pot does better:

- Cooks faster.

- Cooks eggs (and apparently they are easier to peel).

- Cooks rice.

- Cooks yogurt more easily.  (MomsintheGarden makes awesome yogurt in our 3-, 5-, and 7-quart slow cookers all the time, but it is pretty fiddly.)

- Steams food.

- Saves electricity.  (The instant pot uses more POWER, but uses less overall energy.)

- Easier cleanup of the pot.  (It appears that the 8-quart stainless-steel Instant Pot fits in the dishwasher more easily than the 7-quart crock from the slow cooker.)

I'm sure there are other benefits of each, as well.

When you say it cooks less than your 7 quart... by how much? I have a 6 quart slow cooker that I use and the only time I have it full to the brim is when I fix spaghetti and meatballs. I add the pasta to it the last hour so I don't have to cook it separate.

I was looking at them and the 8 quart is the one I would purchase.

I have made yogurt in a slow cooker before and if I recall correctly it was major fiddly (love that word, I will use it more often lol). It involved a towel, time and I only did it once because it wasn't worth the trouble for me. Is it easier in the Instant Pot? I like yogurt.

One thing that appeals greatly to me is the being able to cook frozen chicken. YAY for that. I will plan meals for the week but not when so I don't always take the chicken out.

Thinking this may be a good idea!

• Like 1

When you say it cooks less than your 7 quart... by how much? I have a 6 quart slow cooker that I use and the only time I have it full to the brim is when I fix spaghetti and meatballs. I add the pasta to it the last hour so I don't have to cook it separate.

I was looking at them and the 8 quart is the one I would purchase.

The Instant Pot manual says to not to fill it beyond 2/3 of capacity, or 5.33 quarts for the "8-quart" model.

I have made yogurt in a slow cooker before and if I recall correctly it was major fiddly (love that word, I will use it more often lol). It involved a towel, time and I only did it once because it wasn't worth the trouble for me. Is it easier in the Instant Pot? I like yogurt.

That's how MomsintheGarden and DD24 do it in the slow cooker.  I showed my comparison to DD24 earlier and the one thing she took exception to was the yogurt part.  She said that the Instant Pot was not much easier and her yogurt did not come out.  But she only tried it once and I have to think that perhaps she needs more practice.  What I didn't know is that even with the Instant Pot you STILL have to measure the temperature yourself at certain points.  Somehow I had imagined it was fully automated: Put milk in and out comes yogurt.  I guess not.  (Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.)

One thing that appeals greatly to me is the being able to cook frozen chicken. YAY for that. I will plan meals for the week but not when so I don't always take the chicken out.

MomsintheGarden and DD24 plan to kill a rooster on Monday and put it in the Instant Pot.  Hopefully it can also handle VERY fresh chicken.

• Like 1

The Instant Pot manual says to not to fill it beyond 2/3 of capacity, or 5.33 quarts for the "8-quart" model.

They need to make a bigger one then, don't they know I have growing boys? Honestly! ;)

Wonder if that applies to using it as a slow cooker too? I am always trying to get around the rules!

That's how MomsintheGarden and DD24 do it in the slow cooker.  I showed my comparison to DD24 earlier and the one thing she took exception to was the yogurt part.  She said that the Instant Pot was not much easier and her yogurt did not come out.  But she only tried it once and I have to think that perhaps she needs more practice.  What I didn't know is that even with the Instant Pot you STILL have to measure the temperature yourself at certain points.  Somehow I had imagined it was fully automated: Put milk in and out comes yogurt.  I guess not.  (Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.)

*sigh* Guess I'll still buy it then. Bah.

MomsintheGarden and DD24 plan to kill a rooster on Monday and put it in the Instant Pot.  Hopefully it can also handle VERY fresh chicken.

That's a visual. I m sure it tastes good but man... I like buying mine from the store (yup I'm a baby). :)

• Like 1

I love that I can sear/sauté stuff and then either slow or pressure cook it without dirtying multiple pots and without using my big oven. I love that it cooks rice quickly and with one pot, and I don't have to babysit or stir it. I saute an onion, add chicken breasts with some water, pressure cook for 20 minutes, add a bit of rice, pressure cook for five more minutes (which doesn't take long to reach pressure because the water is still hot, stir it and chop the chicken a bit, add frozen veggies, pressure cook for a couple more minutes, and then add sauce and saute and stir. I love that I can boil a whole bunch of chicken without it spilling over onto my stove. I love that I can put water and oats in it and go shower while it cooks, whereas if I cook oatmeal on the stove, I have to sit there until the water boils so I can add the oats. I also love it as a slow cooker, especially the stainless pot. And, one appliance for all of those things.

• Like 3

Get yourself on the Facebook Instant Pot group. You'll learn a whole lot very quickly there!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotCommunity/

I tend not to make many recipes that haven't been vetted there first, because I want to see that some other people made it successfully!

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

They need to make a bigger one then, don't they know I have growing boys? Honestly! ;)

Wonder if that applies to using it as a slow cooker too? I am always trying to get around the rules!

*sigh* Guess I'll still buy it then. Bah.

That's a visual. I m sure it tastes good but man... I like buying mine from the store (yup I'm a baby). :)

I just pulled out my manual.  There is a max fill line which is about an 1" or so below the rim.  The manual says "It is recommended that you do not fill the unit over 2/3 full"   I have never used it as a slow cooker.  

I do want to mention that most slow cookers recommend the same thing.  Obviously you can't fill anything to the tippy top, so these recommendations are just a guideline.  

For me, it is about hands off cooking.  Our school room is the garage, so I don't have easy access to the kitchen while cooking lunch.  It is nice to be able to throw the ingredients in and walk away.  Because the IP automatically goes into "keep warm" mode, I don't even need to make sure to turn anything off.  I personally prefer soups cooked on the stove, because the evaporation gives a more flavorful broth, but I really appreciate the convenience of the IP.  Often, I do set it to "saute" mode for a few minutes to let some of the water evaporate and thicken things up a bit.

See I was going to say yogurt was MUCH easier in the Instant Pot.  Put the milk in and set it to boil. Check temp, 9 times out of 10 it will be at the correct temp but if not just set it to boil again.  Let it sit and cool.  Add starter.  Set button and return to yogurt.  The boil, cool, and add starter are the same (although I found the boil easier because I didn't have to monitor it or worry about boiling over or scorching the bottom) but I found it so much nicer not to have to put it into a different container, or wrapping/insulating or monitoring if my area was warm enough etc.  Basically I really liked that the last step was push a button and come back later.  Depending on how you do the incubating period would probably affect your perception of whether or not the Instant Pot was an improvement.