Menu

Anyone use a tv in the kitchen for schooling?

I'm considering putting a tv in the kitchen so my kid can do art and science with dvd programs somewhat independently away from carpet and fabric furniture. And he could clean everything up easily without dragging messy projects through the house. Has anyone done this? Experiences? What's useful to have available in the space besides storage and clean up supplies?

We usually don't eat in the kitchen but we obviously do cook there. Is it gross to do art where you cook? As long as he learns the habit of venting the big window and thoroughly cleaning up after himself it should be fine right?

This is us. We have our computer and television in the homeschool room for math videos, Latin videos, computer programming etc. Then we have a television on the way in our kitchen/rec room space where we have our art table so they can watch art videos or do science experiments. It works great.

What kind of art of you talking about ?-- basic, student grade watercolors, acrylics, colored pencils, etc. in the kitchen are fine.  Clean up well afterwards.

Oil paints, turps, mineral spirits, and other mediums need a vent or window and should not be around food prep areas.

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

The art program is Home Art Studio Kindergarten. Its on its way and I ordered the supply kit so I really don't know the kinds of materials it uses. I'm guessing it would all be safe for in the kitchen area. I really hope so as I intended for it to be somewhat independent for my five year old.

Like others, we just use the laptop for DVD lessons, which usually do happen (like everything) at the kitchen table. I just put the supplies needed for any given project in my little basket the night before, along with the DVD, so I can set them out on the table in the morning, since our kitchen doesn't contain room for art supply storage. K art supplies are definitely going to be kitchen-safe. If I didn't have the laptop option, I think I'd rather get something like a portable DVD player rather than add a TV to the kitchen, but again, we live in a small space and do DVD lessons only once a week.

I often bring my laptop in the kitchen for things like that.  And yes, we've done lots of art projects in the kitchen!  I usually cover the floor with newspaper and we do it there.  Or sometimes I bring in a card table.  (We don't have a kitchen table.)  

We also have a small under the counter TV with DVD player that folds up in the kitchen.  We have ours connected to the bottom of a cupboard, just at eye level when I'm standing up.  It is actually our only working TV in the house, because I like to watch the news when I make dinner and PBS documentaries when I clean up.  It's been a great little TV for that, but maybe something like that would work for you?  You'd need to make sure it's in the right spot though, so you're children can see it clearly from where they're working.