Menu

Your music...

jewellsmommy

Your favorite songs  

87 members have voted

1. 1. How consistent is your preference? How many genres in your top 10?

• very consistent, almost all from the same genre
    • fairly consistent, split between 2 similar genres
    • varied, but still only 2-3 different genres
    • highly varied, 4-5 different genres
    • All over the place! You couldn't pin me down if you tried!
    • I don't listen to music
    • other

Just for fun... If someone listened to your top 10 favorite songs, would they find that you are very consistent in your genres? Or are you somewhat consistent with a few different genres that cross over or relate (I'm thinking like Rock and some Alternative or Christian and some Pop-country...something like that)? Or are you all over the place (like Rap, Alternative, Bluegrass, and old-time hymns :lol: )?  Are you mostly mainstream or a little off the beaten path?

I'm curious to see how odd I am.  :lol:  Or maybe I'll find that I'm not that strange after all. I was going through my mp3 player and realizing just how inconsistent my music tastes are.

ETA: punctuation

Edited by jewellsmommy

I am not one for keeping up with brand new music. I don't go looking often. However, I was on a music hunt yesterday and adding all sorts of new (or new-to-me) music to my player. I actually laughed out loud at myself when I started playing the songs on shuffle.

I went from a song from Moana (Disney movie) to a My Chemical Romance song (alt), to Need to Breathe (Christian), Imagine Dragons (alt/rock?), Carry on my wayward son (older rock?), Toby Mac (Christian-rap)  :lol:  then I hit a song from the Top Gun soundtrack.

So, I was looking at my top 10 and realized that, yep, I'm a weird one.  :lol:  I also realized that, though I'm a Christian and love most Christian music, I wouldn't want to explain my music list to my Pastor. My taste for Alternative rock* music has held strong through youth... though dd was labeling some of it Emo... :001_rolleyes:  whatever.

*(of course one can be a (insert faith here) and still listen to any form of music. I just acknowledge that my Pastor is both nosy and quite more conservative than me)

Edited by jewellsmommy
  • Like 2

I'm all over the place. I really like classic rock from the 70's and 80's (not to be confused with metal or 80's hair bands), I love all 80's New Wave, Old Country, Big Band and Crooners, Classical or Symphony, Modern praise & worship. I'm fairly easy to please... Although I managed to marry a man who likes every type of music I don't, lol. We both like worship music though - so that's our happy middle.

• Like 2

LOL...I'm all over the place.

On my Pandora (which I keep current with my preferences) I have:

Upbeat Pop/Rock/Top 40 (Maroon 5, Colbie Caillat/Pink/Shawn Mendez/Ed Sheeran/Bruno Mars etc)

Mellow Indie style Rock (James blunt/Rob Thomas/Passenger)

Alternative/Indie rock (Serena Ryder, Halsey, Chainsmokers,Julian Pleni

Modern Jazz with Hip Hop influences (ie Marion  HIll)

Folk (Donovon Frankenrreiter/Alexi Murdoch/Joe Purdy)

HIp Hop (Jason Derulo/SoMo etc)

Upbeat mellow music (Jack Johnson, Michael Franti and Spearhead

Hard Rock (Shinedown/Three Days Grace)

Screamo (They Came as Romans, Crown the Empire)

I HEAVILY Modify my stations.  They might only have a few songs form the original artist listed, because it has to more with style/mood than the artist themselves.

• Like 2

LOL...I'm all over the place.

On my Pandora (which I keep current with my preferences) I have:

Upbeat Pop/Rock/Top 40 (Maroon 5, Colbie Caillat/Pink/Shawn Mendez/Ed Sheeran/Bruno Mars etc)

Mellow Indie style Rock (James blunt/Rob Thomas/Passenger)

Alternative/Indie rock (Serena Ryder, Halsey, Chainsmokers,Julian Pleni

Modern Jazz with Hip Hop influences (ie Marion  HIll)

Folk (Donovon Frankenrreiter/Alexi Murdoch/Joe Purdy)

HIp Hop (Jason Derulo/SoMo etc)

Upbeat mellow music (Jack Johnson, Michael Franti and Spearhead

Hard Rock (Shinedown/Three Days Grace)

Screamo (They Came as Romans, Crown the Empire)

I HEAVILY Modify my stations.  They might only have a few songs form the original artist listed, because it has to more with style/mood than the artist themselves.

I think this is true for me as well. I also wanted to note that I just got a song from the Chainsmokers yesterday. I had never heard them before (at least not that I noticed). I end up paying attention to the lyrics. If I'm lucky,I can guess the title from the lyrics  :lol: otherwise I end up having to search. Either Way I usually need the internet to find out who was singing the dang thing. Although, certain artists have such an identifiable voice or sound that I can tell right away. Thanks to dd, I can identify a Sia song immediately. 

I am all over the place.  Also I don't know that I could make a list of my 10 favorite songs - I don't really rate them - I am nuts about any good music.

Yeah, I hear ya. My list fluctuates. I think of it as the 10 songs I want to hear today before any others  :lol: . But, some have been on that list for years like I'm Gonna Be by the proclaimers. It always makes me smile.

Edited by jewellsmommy

I listen to a lot of different things.  I picked 4-5 genres but after reading some posts I think I might be all over the place.   I think most people I know like several types of music.  

Most people I know aren't like that. My mom, dh, and the few irl friends I have are very consistent. Dd is a little varied. When I was a teen/tween I easily fit into one genre. Then I went through a country phase in young adulthood. But while in that phase, it was all country all the time. For the last 12ish years (before this year) I only listened to Christian music. It could be Christian rap or Christian pop or whatever, but that was it. About 9 months ago I started listening to a lot of different sounds. Sometimes I won't listen to much music and then other times I will immerse in it. It must be very mood driven.

ETA: I have always liked different music, but not where I would hunt down that song or cd and purchase it and listen to it regularly. I guess I am judging by what you are willing to purchase and desire to hear repeatedly vs being willing to hear on a radio or out somewhere and just not-hate-it. Does that make sense?

Edited by jewellsmommy

I am stuck on mostly recent contemporary Christian. All my songs could be played in church, lol.

That's where I was for the longest time and why my mp3 seems so strange now  :lol: . I listened exclusively to a radio station called K-love for like 12 years. I still do listen to that station, I've just been adding a ton of new songs to my list.

If you don't mind answering...Why not (genuine question out of curiosity)? Did you ever? 

It is complicated.

I think in general, I feel the emotions in music with too much intensity. It's like my nervous system is being hijacked. 

It would be wrong to say there aren't songs that I enjoy, but I almost never play music for myself. 

I keep CDs in the car for my dc to listen to when we need to cover up some other noise.

DH listens to music as a default, like he needs a soundtrack for his life. I don't.

• Like 4

It is complicated.

I think in general, I feel the emotions in music with too much intensity. It's like my nervous system is being hijacked. 

It would be wrong to say there aren't songs that I enjoy, but I almost never play music for myself. 

I keep CDs in the car for my dc to listen to when we need to cover up some other noise.

DH listens to music as a default, like he needs a soundtrack for his life. I don't.

That makes complete sense to me. There are some songs/artists that I won't listen to because it evokes a certain set of emotions. However, that same mechanism draws me to certain other music as a way to vent or process feelings.

• Like 2

I listen to Spotify.  It allows me to choose songs or artists.  Then it will suggest similar songs or artists.  After a certain amount of data based on what you like, it will put together some playlists for you.  I have six playlists, I think, that are all over the place.  Depending on my mood or what I need to do, I will choose different playlists on different days.  Or I will search for another song or artist based on what I want to listen to.  Or I will listen to some of their recommendations.  If I don't like a song I will just push a button to get to the next song.  If I really like a song I will "like" it and then it will show up on my playlists for sure.  Right now I'm listening to atmospheric instrumental music because I need to concentrate on writing and it helps me to focus.  (I'm taking a little brain break right now). 

• Like 1

I am all over the place. My entire family likes lots of kinds of music. I am a person who generally pays attention to things like melody, rhythm, etc. and not to lyrics. g by Some songs I do hear the lyrics and the lyrics make the music stronger. Like Erlkonig by Schubert or some of Johnny Cash's songs. My dh has very varied tasted but does pay more attention to lyrics and has slightly less varied tastes than me. My two girls also have slightly less varied taste than me. My son is just as varied in taste. So lets see what I have listened to in the last few weeks- jazz, old country, 60's, 70's , 80's, 90's ,00. 10's. 1700's 1800's 1900's Indian, big band, electro swing, alternative, blues, mariachi, and probably forgot some. And yes those dates include lots of kinds of different music too.

Music is really important to me.

• Like 2

Our CD collection spans centuries and most genres--Simon & Garfunkel to Metallica to Pink Floyd to all the standard Classical composers, and more.  Not really any rap or R&B, though I like select Motown music.  We don't do the MP3 thing as much, but what I have on my phone are Nightwish, Enya, singles by Gladys Knight, Otis Redding, and Ray Charles, an Orthodox monastery choir album, Wee Sing Lullabies, and Third Day.  There's also Jon Batiste and Leonard Cohen from when DH bought family some vinyl on my Amazon account (we got the digital albums free).  When I had satellite radio for a year, we kept it on the 40's channel.  I don't have a top 10 favorite songs because it's whatever's in my head at the moment/whatever mood I'm in.  I can involuntarily come up with bits of songs for a lot of different phrases/words (like "leaving" -- "Midnight Train to Georgia" or "Leaving on a Jet Plane").  It's sometimes annoying.   :D  I also used to own albums by Sublime, Orgy, 311, and others, but got rid of those when I "settled down."

ETA: Two favorite instruments to hear: harpsichord & sitar.   :lol:

Edited by CES2005
  • Like 1

That's where I was for the longest time and why my mp3 seems so strange now  :lol: . I listened exclusively to a radio station called K-love for like 12 years. I still do listen to that station, I've just been adding a ton of new songs to my list.

I do understand why you might need a change, then. I can take Chris Tomlin in only small doses. Most of the radio stations ignore the music that is coming out of the prayer rooms. 

• Like 1

Country first, then whatever genre bands like Maroon 5, Twenty One Pilots and Imagine Dragons are in, then Bruno, Kelly Clarkson, Taylor (yup like her), PINK, Gwen...but I like Kansas, Bon Jovi, Phil Collins and more. I'd be here awhile naming them!

Maybe I am all over the place lol.

• Like 1

I'm listening to a lot of classical at the moment.  At home, in the car, classical seems to be my current favorite.  I also like 80s rock, some jazz, some country,  show tunes.  Right now I've got "Love You Like a Love Song" stuck in my head.  Need to listen to some Journey or Fleetwood Mac to get that out :)

• Like 1

If you don't mind answering...Why not (genuine question out of curiosity)? Did you ever? 

I think I'm somewhere in a place between "I just never think about it and music is just noise pollution."

If I listen to anything in the car I prefer NPR, assuming they're talking about something interesting. Or when I'm out in the morning I catch snippets of Clark Howard on a local station. As far as listening to music around the house--it just never occurs to me. I either have CNN on low for background noise or I enjoy the quiet. I did go through the typical tween/teen thing with music, including going to several big name concerts. I guess I lost interest slowly over the years.

• Like 2

I am not one for keeping up with brand new music. I don't go looking often. However, I was on a music hunt yesterday and adding all sorts of new (or new-to-me) music to my player. I actually laughed out loud at myself when I started playing the songs on shuffle.

I went from a song from Moana (Disney movie) to a My Chemical Romance song (alt), to Need to Breathe (Christian), Imagine Dragons (alt/rock?), Carry on my wayward son (older rock?), Toby Mac (Christian-rap)  :lol:  then I hit a song from the Top Gun soundtrack.

So, I was looking at my top 10 and realized that, yep, I'm a weird one.  :lol:  I also realized that, though I'm a Christian and love most Christian music, I wouldn't want to explain my music list to my Pastor. My taste for Alternative rock* music has held strong through youth... though dd was labeling some of it Emo... :001_rolleyes:  whatever.

*(of course one can be a (insert faith here) and still listen to any form of music. I just acknowledge that my Pastor is both nosy and quite more conservative than me)

I love MCR!  I can go from them to Opera, Rap that I listened to back in the day, Garth Brooks (only country I like), Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, Classic Rock.  All over the place!  Oh yes, alternative like The Smiths--yeah my kids call it Emo. 

• Like 1

Classic Rock, Alternative, Pop, 80's heavy metal/hair bands, Protest Rock.

My current "favorites" on my ipod includes Pink Floyd, Kansas, Imagine Dragons, Ariana Grande, Disturbed, Fall Out Boy, Pink, Demi Lovato, Brittney Spears, Bee Gees, Lorde, Phil Collins/Genesis, Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake, Walk the Moon, Lorde, Pentatonix, Rick Springfield, Def Leppard, Journey, Adele, Looking Glass, and Zager and Evans.

I also like the Sweet Victory song from Spongebob and a few songs from Phineas & Ferb.

• Like 1

I love MCR!  I can go from them to Opera, Rap that I listened to back in the day, Garth Brooks (only country I like), Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, Classic Rock.  All over the place!  Oh yes, alternative like The Smiths--yeah my kids call it Emo. 

Just where do these kids get off labeling our music for us... :lol:

• Like 1

Classic Rock, Alternative, Pop, 80's heavy metal/hair bands, Protest Rock.

My current "favorites" on my ipod includes Pink Floyd, Kansas, Imagine Dragons, Ariana Grande, Disturbed, Fall Out Boy, Pink, Demi Lovato, Brittney Spears, Bee Gees, Lorde, Phil Collins/Genesis, Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake, Walk the Moon, Lorde, Pentatonix, Rick Springfield, Def Leppard, Journey, Adele, Looking Glass, and Zager and Evans.

I also like the Sweet Victory song from Spongebob and a few songs from Phineas & Ferb.

We have 2 Phineas and Ferb soundtracks! One of them is the Christmas album. I love Disney soundtracks. The music from Brave is one of my favorites. Right now I can't get the song You're Welcome from Moana out of my head! I've been listening to that, Imagine Dragons, and Sia's song from Wonder Woman today  :lol: . 

Dh loves Pink Floyd.

Top 10 on my playlist currently

Pink, F*cking Perfect

Keith Urban, John Cougar, John Deere, John 3:16

several cuts from Hamilton

Rachel Platt Stand by You

Warren Zevon Werewolves of London

Wiz Kalifa See you again

Frozen, Let it Go

Flogging Molly If I Ever Leave this World Alive

American Authors best day of My Life

• Like 1

I don't even know how to pick 10 favorite songs.

Some of my favorite artists/groups are P!nk, Guns n Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Aerosmith, REO Speedwagon, James Taylor, Journey, Reba McEntire, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Matchbox 20, Ed Sheeran, Beyonce, Eminem, LLCoolJ, Patsy Cline, Green Day, The Beastie Boys, Rhianna, Garth Brooks, Save Ferris... and Taylor Swift.  And I love Broadway soundtracks.  That's just the tip of the iceberg.

I like Nickleback.

• Like 1

I don't even know how to pick 10 favorite songs.

Some of my favorite artists/groups are P!nk, Guns n Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Aerosmith, REO Speedwagon, James Taylor, Journey, Reba McEntire, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Matchbox 20, Ed Sheeran, Beyonce, Eminem, LLCoolJ, Patsy Cline, Green Day, The Beastie Boys, Rhianna, Garth Brooks, Save Ferris... and Taylor Swift.  And I love Broadway soundtracks.  That's just the tip of the iceberg.

I like Nickleback.

I love the fine print  :lol: . 

We have a lot of crossover. We could easily listen to music together.  :D

Most people I know aren't like that. My mom, dh, and the few irl friends I have are very consistent. Dd is a little varied. When I was a teen/tween I easily fit into one genre. Then I went through a country phase in young adulthood. But while in that phase, it was all country all the time. For the last 12ish years (before this year) I only listened to Christian music. It could be Christian rap or Christian pop or whatever, but that was it. About 9 months ago I started listening to a lot of different sounds. Sometimes I won't listen to much music and then other times I will immerse in it. It must be very mood driven.

ETA: I have always liked different music, but not where I would hunt down that song or cd and purchase it and listen to it regularly. I guess I am judging by what you are willing to purchase and desire to hear repeatedly vs being willing to hear on a radio or out somewhere and just not-hate-it. Does that make sense?

I thought of a person like you describe.  My sister is stuck in the 1960s.  All she listens to is 1960s pop.  Beatles, Beach Boys, Motown, etc.  She seems almost proud to be so... one-dimensional? ... in her music taste.   I mean, there's nothing wrong with only liking one thing!  But she's kinda weird about it - she will ask me "how can you listen to that?  You grew up with the same music I did!"   

Now I like that music too.  But I like other things.  

Your ETA makes sense.  My music collection includes classical, pop/rock, blues, R&B, alternative, a little bit of country (mostly Patsy Cline).  

Sometimes favorites change.  I own everything James Taylor made up through around 2000.  In my  middle school years, when  he was just coming up, I listened to him daily.  I have said I wouldn't have made it through middle school without him.  But now I can barely stand to listen to him.  I had a hard time coming up with a good top ten song list.   Top artists I guess are Teena Marie, Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits, Boz Scaggs, Bach, Monteverdi, Edward Herda (unknown artist, personal association, but his music is on itunes, spotify, etc), Stevie Wonder, Patsy Cline, Curtis Mayfield, The Clash, The Killers, Cage the Elephant, Welshly Arms.  All but the last three have had staying power so I guess they are life-long favorites.  The newer three?  Who knows?  I may have forgotten all about them in 5 years or less.  

Oh, I like Renaissance Faire music too.  :-)   From going to Renaissance faires.  

• Like 1

I'm the other.  I have periods or moods for music.

At work we listen to 80s mostly. 

If you hit the top 10 most played songs on my playlist it would be all Seventeen's songs because they make me happy and feel good about life.

But my playlist includes a lot of Hawaiian music, classic Rock, The Cure and No Doubt. In my younger years, every time I looked up a band I liked it tended towards Ska Punk. I also really enjoy Big Band, shows tunes of the classic period of Hollywood, bluegrass and outlaw country music. But I also like folk music, protest music and Kpop (certain songs & groups) and there's even a Mandopop group that I love. Oh and I have some stuff from Thailand and Singapore on my playlist too.

• Like 1

All over the place.  I listen to a lot of music, but prefer to play than listen. I couldn't list a top 10 tracks.  I'm not even sure I can list top 10 genres.  But, my current play list is (to listen and play):

Gypsy Kings

Rachmaninoff

Ramones

Matthew Good

David Bowie

Rage Against the Machine

Silversun Pickups

Dead Kennedys

Colin James

Kansas

Three Days Grace

Bryan Adams

Foo Fighters

Mozart

Joni Mitchell

Great Big World

Nirvana

Journey

New Pornographers

Broken Social Scene

The Weakerthans

Rush

Roy Clark

Apocalyptica

Marin Marais

Iron Maiden

The Pretenders

Audioslave

Hedley

Adele

The Cure

Husker Du

Country Gentlemen

Katy Perry

No Doubt

Matchbox 20

Andrews Sisters

Crowded House

Johnny Cash

• Like 1

It makes sense that people in general are more eclectic in their music now than 25 years ago. I'm thinking its more common anyway given the ease of broad exposure with satellite radio and internet radio stations etc. Plus, I guess the older we get...and all that  :tongue_smilie: .

I have been way behind the times, that's part of the problem  :lol: . I now realize that 1) I'm not weird to have Disney songs playing with my rock and country songs ( as long as I don't resort to Barney songs, right? Now that might be weird :lol: ) and 2) I clearly need to add some more genres to my lists. 

I listen to many types of music, but I doubt that my Top 10 covers more than 2 genres. 

Unless you ask my brother, he thinks I only listen to "Folk" music.  :huh:  I think he defines that as 'you can understand the words.' He likes Classical, Swedish Death Metal, and Tibetian throat singing. We're an interesting bunch. 

• Like 1

Very eclectic. If I had to pick one genre it would be alternative, but I also have a lot of Stan Kenton and Buddy Rich, Pat Metheny Group, Two Steps from Hell, Shostakovich, Chopin, Philip Glass, the Doctor Who soundtracks, and a few not-overplayed pop songs.

Absolutely zero country or musical soundtracks. Less than zero if it were possible.

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 1

It is complicated.

This is almost exactly how my dd(11) feels about music. 

• Like 1

If we're going off of top ten favorites, I'd have to say they're relatively close but maybe there are a few genres in there... it tempts me to go through and try to decide my top ten :lol: .  

Needless to say, they're all Korean.  :lol:

However, if one were to go through my entire playlist, it would be a bit more varied.  Still mostly Korean, but lots of different styles in there.  

• Like 1

I have varied tastes. I tend to list out favorite musicians over songs because I will listen to one artist for a while, then change it up. 

Right now I'm adoring Frank Turner, I hadn't even heard of him until a few months ago, but wow! I love everything I've heard. He's punky, country, alternative, rock and sings lyrics you can understand and sing along to. I keep watching his tour dates to see if he's coming anywhere remotely close to me. 

I also play a lot of Wardruna, which is a Norwegian band whose music has been featured on the show Vikings. 

Beethoven or Gregorian chants is what I listen to while studying

80s New Wave and 70s rock are always favorite with newer metal in there too.  

• Like 1

I have varied tastes. I tend to list out favorite musicians over songs because I will listen to one artist for a while, then change it up. 

Right now I'm adoring Frank Turner, I hadn't even heard of him until a few months ago, but wow! I love everything I've heard. He's punky, country, alternative, rock and sings lyrics you can understand and sing along to. I keep watching his tour dates to see if he's coming anywhere remotely close to me. 

I also play a lot of Wardruna, which is a Norwegian band whose music has been featured on the show Vikings. 

Beethoven or Gregorian chants is what I listen to while studying

80s New Wave and 70s rock are always favorite with newer metal in there too.  

I've never heard either but just listened to Recovery, and I like it. I'm still processing Helvegen from Warduna. I think dh might like, so I'm going to revisit them and see how it grows on me  :lol:.

• Like 1